Marco Pappa to Xerez of "La Liga" Spain

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lalfaro, Oct 5, 2009.

1. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thank God. Pappa is by far our most over-rated player. His decision making is atrocious. The fact we might now be able to pawn him off on a La Liga squad for cash warms my heart. I'm sure there are better attcking mids playing in USL or college ball right now.

2. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Backhanding your woman with your right hand counts?

3. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Every time it becomes apparent a player is going to leave we get stupid posts like this, good riddance Soumare, good riddance Rolfe, and now good riddance Pappa.

To quote Chris M., whatever

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Did anyone really say "good riddance Rolfe?"

I don't recall a single post like that. But . . . . . . .

Whatever. ;):D

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    whatevah

6. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great song.

I've played that song at the 'Popular Front' tailgate a few times (cause I'm the main DJ:confused:)...the reaction both times was, "whatever"...

:rolleyes: Wha-evah.:cool:

PS: I'm glad Pappa got a job at Zerox...copiers are big business. W/E

7. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this written prior to July 5?

What have you done for me lately Marco PAPPA?
    Last goal: July 4

What have you done all year?
    Assists: 4 in 2182 minutes!!

I'll agree that he brings that Latin flair, but you need some production and that has been sorely absent.

Not exactly La Liga material.

8. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You got to be ********ing kidding me.

9. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Look at the stats to the post above yours...kind of backs up my point.

For the record, I was pissed when Soumare went and physically ill for about a week after hearing Rolfe was going. Look at the evidence, Pappa has been statistically more insignificant than Thiago. I just don't get the love-fest with this guy. Is he athletic? Yeah. Does he have a good left boot? Sure. Is he a key part in one of the most God-awfully slow and fruit-less attacking units in Fire history? YES. Do the stats lie? NO.

10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep that would be him. I know he's most likely gone from MLS. He's one the deserves a contract like Mapp has.

Ladies and gentlemen I present you with exhibit A. This is what happens when you're surrounded by nothing but corn.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    When I was at practice on maybe Monday, Banner and Pappa stayed late practicing their crosses. When I say late I mean every player and coach were long gone and I finally gave up and had to go to lunch. I would guess they practiced at least an hour longer than the rest of the team on exactly what we need them to do.

Pappa may not be an all-star right now but I buy into the hype if he's going to put in that effort. I'm going to give him a longer leash.

Even without that extra effort I think he's a top ten winger with a decade of improvements ahead of him. He's learned to be somewhat fearless on the ball thanks to Blanco and I would love to be able to watch that mature.

12. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree 100%
    He has great potential and talent but he needs a good coach ....

I don't understand why some thinks we cash in with this deal ? his loan is up ..done ! ...unless we bring some on the table

13. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. There's nothing but upside to doing whatever is necessary to keep him (barring DP salary . . . he's worth what Mapp is making). Even if he's not playing at the form he was in midseason, he's still one of our best players (and he's only 21 . . . he's got a bright future).

Anyway, one of these days, it would be awfully nice to hear that the team has re-signed . . . well . . . any of the out of contract players.

14. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    This reminds me of publicly voted player ratings.
    Probably because it is.

There's two types of people that vote in those ratings polls...
    Those that rate the players based on how they think they played. And those that look at the ratings, and try to adjust them to what they think they should be.

15. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Where have you seen public voting player ratings?

16. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    LOL...umm...well, that was intended as more of an aid to the post, rather than the point of it...

But, there's the post-match player ratings on Sam's-Army to start...and a lot of UK papers have polls for prem games. That sort of thing.

The point was that some people will just vote what they think is fair....
    ...some will see a players rating and think it's too low (or high), and try to level it out by giving them a 10 (or zero) to do so.

17. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way in hell Pappa would turn down an offer to play in Europe. I hope this isn't true. We can't afford to lose any more players. On the bright side Chicago is doing a helluva job producing quality players.

18. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'm glad your reply was a well-thought out analysis that countered the points and evidence I was presenting. Do you work for any soccer publications, or do you just dispense such wisdom for free?

1 person likes this.
  19. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    I think his point was that if you think Pappa is the most overrated player on our team there is no real point trying to argue with you with rational posts because clearly stuff like "statistically one of our best players" and "$ for $ our best player on the team" and "Pappa was getting all star consideration this year" wouldn't go over well.

Second, Pappa is on loan to us, and the loan ends this year. We aren't selling him to anyone in La Liga, and we don't stand to make anything if he does get sold there, so your suggestion that we take the money is pointless because we don't hold his contract.

20. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Work? What's that?

I'm just a dick. A rubber one.

21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Did you say Dick Ruber? He's my idol!

22. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google has advised me you mean Dick Gruber. Or is it Dick Grabber... :eek:

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Richard Ruber is like a distant cousin of rubber dick.

Rubber.
    Dick.

24. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay now I suppose I should be serious even though I don't want to be.

Your claim as him being overrated is garbage. At his age he's scored in CONCACAF WC qualifying (midfielder). I know Guatemala never made the hex but two goals scored in six games is pretty good for his position when he started three of those matches and came on as a sub in the other three.

He's scored five goals for us and has three assists this season. That's pretty good for a midfielder team contribution to scoring especially one that actually tracks back on the defensive side too. Anyone who wants to argue Thiago's stats can stuff it as he was primarily an attacking midfielder.

My one question to you would be have you ever seen Pappa play live? I remember watching him play live in his first game a friendly against Everton and was simply blown away. Honestly I couldn't believe Frank found someone so young with such tenacity and drive to prove himself.

I'm still pissed with Denis not utilizing him more last season. (Subbing him far too late 88th minute or stoppage time too often).

25. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    4 assists actually.

He's our 3rd best goal scorer and 2nd on assists.