Marco Pappa contract ends on December 31 2009

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lalfaro, Nov 17, 2009.

1. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Re: Marcos Pappa contract ends on December 31 2009

Soumare was worth over $2MM. I think a $1MM valuation for Pappa wouldn't be unexpected.

2. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL

Would you rather see Banner or Mapp in his place? Me neither.

3. Tobin

Tobin Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago

As much as I feel that Pappa has room for improvement, especially in the decision-making and team work part of the game, he is considerably talented and only 21. I would actually like to see him more on the left side of the field though as teams have figured it out to force him onto his right.

If it's a million, give or take several grand either way, I think it's worth the move.

4. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we don't get some major additions in the offseason, we may need Mapp at right mid and Banner at left back (I prefer Banner to Woolard at that position).

So I agree with your point. We need Pappa, end of story.

5. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago

I can live with the 21 yr old who makes mistakes over the 25 or so year old who makes $400,000 only shows up for about two games a year (at half game intervals) and has little desire,engine, heart.

Heck his coach is way older than that and made much more questionable decisions

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

Do we know what games he was starting? Were they early on in the year? Did the 70th minute substitutions happen near the end of the season?

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI

http://web.mlsnet.com/pdf/mls/2009/gameguides/10/1022chichv.pdf

Look at page #30 of this PDF document. It lists game by game minutes played for all Fire players for all regular season games except for the Chivas game.

Pappa's minutes played in the 30 regular season games:

25 (didn't start)
    30 (didn't start)

28 games started
    24 times he played 70 minutes or more

It's also worth noting that outside midfielders (along with forwards) are often the players most often subbed during games. There needs to be some sort of realistic expectation for a guy's PT, keeping that fact in mind.

8. On the Road Again

On the Road Again New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I just have a question. I know that there have been comments occasionally about the Fire's "rights" to Pappa but if he is on a loan agreement, wouldn't any "rights" the Fire have to him expire with that agreement? If so, then the team that owns him can sell him to the highest bidder, right? Of course, I guess that if his contract expires with his current team then he becomes an "unrestricted" free agent??

Just curious but I don't think he is under any commitment at all to the Fire once his loan agreement expires, is he?

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly we have an option to purchase and since he's on loan with us we likely have the right of first refusal.

Now if it's his main contract with his club that expires, IIRC, when it expires, he can sign with anyone, though MLS, since it holds contracts globally may prevent him from signing with MLS for another club w/o compensation to the Fire. IOW - CalvinBall

10. toon_army

toon_army New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

From what i believe the Fire had him on loan and with that loan contract the fire have first right / option to sign the player if an offer is acceptable. I know that is true in other cases but, not 100% if that's how Pappa's loan contract with the Fire is.

11. DDT5583

DDT5583 Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MLS allows for loan deals without an option to buy, so I'm pretty sure the ball is in our court.

12. On the Road Again

On the Road Again New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Then is it safe to assume that the Fire could be outbid for his services and lose out because their offer is too low?