March U20 camp

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Mar 6, 2018.

1. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Watts unlikely for this camp. He was in Spain, but based on social media it looks like he's back in the U.S. If he were to be in the camp, I would imagine he would have stayed in Spain.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they needed to get him back in there. I've been disappointed with what I've seen from the group of '99 CB's. Rogers is the only '99 CB who I've been impressed with. I'd need to see more of McKenzie, but the others I'm not impressed by.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he was unlikely for the camp anyway. Maybe a U-19 camp, if there's one coming up.

4. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Agreed. In the meantime, needs to get his club situation settled.

5. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

Google translate - Also on a country game trip: @joshsargent is nominated for the lot of the U 20 of the @ussoccer_mnt against France in Spanish Alicante. #WerderLZ

Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  6. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Phillip Ejimadu (Nacional Atlético Clube; Minneapolis, Minn.), Brady Scott (FC Köln; Petaluma, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (8): Sergino Dest (AFC Ajax; Almere-Stad, Netherlands), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.), Jake Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Manny Perez (N.C. State University; Garner, N.C.), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.), Sam Rogers (Seattle Sounds FC; Seattle, Wash.), Aedan Stanley (St. Louis FC; Columbia, Ill.), Angel Uribe (Club Tijuana; San Diego, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Frankie Amaya (Pateadores; Santa Ana, Calif.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Chris Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Atlanta, Ga.), Andres Jimenez (Envigado FC; Miami, Fla.), Richie Ledezma (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Alex Mendez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas), Juan Pablo Torres (K.S.C. Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen; Lilbirn, Ga.)

FORWARDS (6): Shaft Brewer (Unattached; Sacramento, Calif.), Zyen Jones (FC Schalke 04; Clarkston, Ga.), Ulysses Llanez Jr. (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Nebiyou Perry (FC Köln; New York, N.Y.), Justin Rennicks (Indiana University; Hamilton, Mass.), Josh Sargent (SV Werder Bremen; O'Fallon, Mo.)

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/03...lled-us-u-20s-face-france-and-atl-tico-madrid

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Has shaft Brewer left LAFC? Did they choose not to try to get a loan for him?

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Phillip Ejimadu?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    First off, apologies for misleading you all by guessing that there might be "about 24" players on this roster. There were 25. Mea culpa.

I've updated the callup tracker:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfMvt087D65kHEJtitNuODh4dPgpKCQTi6Ae9VJ2c0g/edit?usp=sharing

I'm assuming for now that Ejimadu and Jimenez are professional. Anyone know for certain, and/or have birth years for them?

Llanez is the first guy playing "up" here and Morris, with Scott, make two guys with callups last cycle.

Frankie Amaya is, I believe, the "Franuel" who has previous U.S. callups.

The U.S. has already called in 6 GKs. It called in 7 all last cycle, and 6 the entire previous cycle -- notable, perhaps, since Austin would make 7 if he returns to the fold. (Ramos called in 11 during the 2013 go-round.)

Finally, here are the guys from the first camp who are not here:

Amon Jonathan
    Carranza Jose
    Durkin Chris
    Fontana Anthony
    Lindsay Jaylin
    Lopez Eric
    Perez Brian
    Sands James
    Servania Brandon
    Verhoeven Noah
    Vines Sam
    Becher Simon
    Cappis Christian
    Davis Gideon
    Dorsey Griffin
    Maher Jack
    Marks George
    McMaster Justin
    Mendoza Glademir
    Muse Trey
    Nicola Chris
    Tracey Greg
    Vom Steeg Carson​

Patrick167, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Strange group of call ups.

Ejimadu is a '99 Brazilian-American keeper at what seems like a semi pro club in Sao Paulo.

Jimenez plays at a first division club in Colombia. Can't find any info on him, other than he's not on the first team roster.

Ledezma and Amaya are relatively new 00's to the YNT circuit. Amaya actually plays on the same team as Holcomb who still can't get YNT call ups.

Mendez and Llanez were called in from LAG. Can't say I think either actually deserve the call ups, but maybe all the complaining from the Kleiban's is working.

Brewer, Jones, Dos Santos? Come on, does anything other than club affiliation (or past club affiliation in Brewer's case) matter?

Eighteen Alpha and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Qualifying maybe by the end of 2018?

“As we look towards qualifying possibly being earlier than ever before we want to give as many opportunities as possible in this particular camp,” Ramos said.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its been early January before, so if he means what he says, that would be correct.

13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I like Perez a lot. He would have been a pretty high draft pick this year if he had gone pro. Hopefully he sees some minutes in these games.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Best XI from this team.

Scott
    Perez-McKenzie-Rogers-Real
    Torres-Goslin
    Carleton
    Pomykal-Sargent-Perry

The French team we are facing are 97's-99's. Some of the players they called in include Ibrahima Konate, Malang Sarr, Jonathan Ikone, Yann Karamoh and Jeff Reine-Adelaide

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    974742059285450752 is not a valid tweet id

974742063609778176 is not a valid tweet id

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #42 ussoccer97531, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    From that video, Jimenez has good footwork in tight spaces. Average athlete, defense and aerial ability. Not many incisive passes or goal-scoring opportunities. Might be more of a linking #8 who can hold his own defensively.

From the video on Ejimadu, he seems very athletic, capable of highlight-reel saves. Quick off his line. A little loose with some of his catching, and his decisions on set pieces. Not much video on his ball-playing ability.

Pl@ymaker and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    With Jimenez also impresses that all that is from a single game, he seems very involved.
    Ejmadu is very big and very athletic, but absolutely raw. Poor hands, not good in the air.
    That's hard to fix. Sean Johnston and Chris Seitz come to mind.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And Weah isn't there. Good.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #45 ussoccer97531, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Atlanta United fans on reddit are mad that Carleton is getting YNT call ups.

The arrogance is unbelievable. I don't think there's an MLS club I dislike more than Atlanta United. I don't want any of our decent prospect signings with them.

He's not allowed to garner European interest by playing first division pro games, so deny him the chance to garner interest in youth national team games. Instead, he should be playing pub-league matches in the USL against players he was better than two years ago to maybe do well enough that instead of being a stoppage time sub on their first team, he gets 15 minutes the next match! He's already not allowed to compete for a spot against players he's better than on the first team, and they don't speak up on that matter.

They blame Ramos more than Martino. Imagine that. :eek:

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. I will say this for Martino. He could have prevented the Carleton callup to the camp and then played him for one minute in MLS For players like Carleton and Pomykal that are in the fringes of MLS first teams (rightly or wrongly), camps like this are a good opportunity to get significant minutes against a good level of competition.

By the way, Atlanta could have decided to send Carleton/Goslin to the Dallas Cup as opposed to this U20 camp :) I would not be surprised to find out that FCD turned down callups for their non-Pomykal players in order to have them play at the Dallas Cup (Cappis, Richards, and company). TFC may have preferred that Akinola go with them to the Dallas Cup as well. THey get to play ManUnited and Tigres in their group. Great competition there. I think Akinola and even Padilla at FCD are better prospects than Shaft Brewer.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea was hoping to see Carleton later today or next weekend.

He needs MLS minutes.

23. barvsenal

barvsenal Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's still available for this week's game. Atlanta United doesn't have a game next week. Hopefully he can get some minutes today, but I doubt it.

Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Oh awesome timing then

25. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Who is Carleton better than that he's not starting over? You sound deranged. And it's interesting that you're slamming USL while guys like Tyler Adams and others have benefitted greatly from it. Crazy that people whine about MLS not giving young guys minutes because they actually have to compete for their spot, while simultaneously telling players to go to Europe so that they can compete for a spot. Isn't this what we want our players to do? Fight for their spot? He's been in the 18 in both games so far and got on the field last game in front of 72,000 people.

People who want to give him a start just because he had a good u17 tournament even though they have no idea what's going on in training blow my mind. He's good and he'll get his chance but it won't be handed to him.

Peretz48 repped this.