March roster tomorrow

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dspence2311, Mar 14, 2023.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Not just a new coach, but also no Earnie Stewart, who apparently had a strong preference for the 4-3-3.

nobody repped this.
  2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    This is one area I was always in agreement with Berhalter on. I think the giant rosters are more trouble than they are worth. A coach has to pick his guys and make tough calls. Just call who you actually want to play and get on with it.

onefineesq, jaykoz3 and gogorath repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, i probably should have posted this here, so i will now...

go straight a team/b team (gre/els)

steffen/turner
    reynolds/dest
    mckenzie/miles
    trusty/ream
    scally/jedi
    johnny/musah
    mckennie/mckennie
    ldlt/aaronson
    (gio/zendejas)/weah
    dike/pepi
    (pulisic/zendejas)/pulisic

for el salvador id go with zendejas and a half from either gio and/or puli. booth or aaronson make up any minutes needed wide.

i hate not getting a start for scally at rb- which i think he deserves more than anyone else- but theres no reason to put 180 on robinson.

no adams sucks, so just spread the minutes around for wes, brendan, luca and yunus.

im assuming miles can go most of 90, but mostly im thrilled we can see truty and mckenzie, see where they are.

sonora is the sore thumb for me, and zendejas should get more minutes than (i currently think) he deserves. not sure where or how much booth can/will factor in.

i guess ccv is as close to a snub as there is (other than zim, there may be a reason i dont know yet). im sure "only" two forwards is going to piss people off but i think dike and pepi are our two best and like that they will each get an actual solid chance. sarge isnt 100% and vazquez will have the gold cup.

all things considered this roster is very much what i wanted to see.

4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Miles Robinson being included

On center backs in general

WrmBrnr, Boysinblue and schrutebuck repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    To me, this sounds like a polite way of indicating that Atlanta United would not release Robinson if he gets called up for a match in April.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possible given their past stance on that sort of stuff, but I’d like to see Wiley on that April roster so hopefully not.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any reason given for no acosta/zim? or jones, for that matter (or is one true lb just an american policy beyond managerial/techical director preference)?

richards didnt even register, and i see tillman missed a match.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't like MMA, I hate it with Cardoso. Super defensive tam against Grenada? And then everyone bitching that we don't create chances.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think just that they weren’t calling up MLS guys with the exception of Miles Robinson, but that we’ll see them all for the April Mexico friendly.

rgli13 repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimmerman is there...

EDIT. Oops... he isn't. I assume for the same reason Acosta is not. Start of the MLS Season and CCL and Leagues Cup is on the horizon.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    AMorris isn't in Europe, neither is Tolkin.

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Trusty and McKenzie absolutely deserved looks with how they are playing. Probably a case of finding this the best chance to get a look at them... same with guys like Dike, and Booth

Boysinblue and gogorath repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    A set up that basically has Dike (or Pepi) and Weah forward, Reyna and Dest playmaking and Pulisic swinging between the two is something I'd love to see. Jedi provides width on the left, McKennie and Musah supporting -- and it's El Salvador so I think we'll be okay there.

I think you could have some fun essentially swinging between a two striker and three forward dynamic as you play, depending on where Pulisic roams. Just need to people to be a bit more aware of when they have to stay home.

Little vulnerable to counters, but it has good balance in the attack in roles and spacing if done right. Not a great fit for Weston or even Musah, but I want their defense and physicality out there.

nobody repped this.
  14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Hey that sounds like me!

My lineup wasn't my preferred lineup, as much as just what is Hudson going to do considering it appeared he went w/Berhalter ball back in January?

I'm not promoting it, I have no idea what they're going to do, I'm more interested in what we think is going to happen over what we wish would happen.

butters59 repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #65 OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Very happy with this roster

miles Robinson, trusty, and booth are the ones I’ll be paying most attention to.

MRob was THE guy before injury. That was our one two pairing after the gold cup. But we got that awesome Tim ream storyline instead.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Plus, can you imagine if you flew over from Europe and didn't start, or worse, even play?

I'd totally get my dad to complain about it. ;)

RossD, dlokteff, Pegasus and 2 others repped this.
  17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, thats the trend i was missing (light on mls), i guess. havent seen that in 4 years so i was just a little confused...

and friendly? friendly?!? thats "el grande classico magnifico" youre talking about- show some respect!

dlokteff and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Wait, Hudson says we're going to have 3 games in 7 days during the April camp? Is that the same camp with the Mexico friendly, and are there more games planned for that camp than the one that's been confirmed?

19. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like thought of playing 4-3-3 with this roster with Johnny being the only #6 and playing both games, would have liked to see Tessmann if we're going with a European-based player. Other than that, love the roster.

20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re the gentleman's agreement to not really call MLS guys up. Honestly there are a lot of guys both in Europe and in MLS that deserve extended looks for the national team and you have to get creative at this point on who is getting called up and when in a lot of cases, and I don't think the answer should just be to introduce people at the Gold Cup.

One person I do wish got called up was Djodje but with him coming back from an injury and still semi establishing himself with AZ I get it. I'm assuming Paredes may be with the u 20s.

21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am ok with giving MRob another look given how great he was pre-injury. But I wish Richard’s and CCV were in camp ahead of Zimm and either McKenzie or Trusty. Richard’s looked excellent in his two game series when Guehi (or was it the other guy?) was out. Maybe Chris is hurt or something.

22. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimm wasn't called up

dspence2311 repped this.
  23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You joke but until I started listening to player podcasts and what not I had no idea how aggravating it was to players to be called into camps, and then to be just totally irrelevant (Feilhaber's story about how Nowak handled him in regards to the '08 olympics is particularly harrowing). I had always, myopically, just assumed that the vast majority of them (granted there are Chandler's etc) were really happy and gratified to be a part of the program and called in in general to rep the team, grab some $$$ and play/be a part of the group. Then, those guys dragged me out of my fantasy and hosed me down w/the reality of what can happen on the bad side of things.

I knew a little of that but I didn't realize just how prevalent the feeling could be, and just how difficult it can be for Euro based players, especially in short windows w/Central American roadies.

majspike, RossD, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I understood his comment is that the Mexico game is going to be midweek, and he’d probably be playing for Atlanta the weekend before and after. Hence the three games in 7 days.

gogorath repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they specifically aren’t calling up MLS guys outside of Miles Robinson. Probably because MLS is playing through the window, but also because they are going to want MLS to release those guys for a game outside the window in April.