March of the Hooligans - Oct 16

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Dougie Brimson, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007
    An interesting post and very well put. However, there is one fundamental point you are missing and that is that no other US sports have seen fans drawing influnces from or being influenced by the behaviour of fans from other nations. This is especially important in the case of soccer where the crowds are such an integeral part of the sporting experience and where traditionally, the team and the game has always been more important than any individual.

It's this 'replication' of the supporting experience in other countries (be it European or South American) which whilst bringing so many postive things to the MLS also holds the potential for problems. Which is pretty much what I say in the book.

To be fair, having spoken to certain MLS execs, they are clearly very aware of this which is why they are putting so much effort into ensuring that those influences remain positive ones rather than the negative ones I warn about in my book.

2. ajdjad

ajdjad New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yellow
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me the text for it and I'll read it. I won't waste good money on it.

3. ajdjad

ajdjad New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yellow
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me spell it out for you. Your experience is second hand as in from someone else. In otherwords you didn't experience it yourself.

4. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

By your own admission you haven't read my book and you certainly haven't met me so how the hell do you know what I know, who I know, where I have been or what I have seen?

You don't. So stop mugging yourself off.

5. ajdjad

ajdjad New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yellow
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude....Give me the book and I'll read it. You are British so you have an different perspective than Americans. As an American who is well traveled and a Football (Soccer) fan, this book is a PR dissaster for the sport of soccer in the U.S. The anti soccer fools won't read the book either and will only take excerpts from your own review of the book and use it against the sport. They will say don't support soccer or you will bring hooliganism to our back yard.

I have never said your book is crap, I have never said you were an idiot. I only clarified someone elses post which I didn't think you quite got. All I have said that your book is a PR disaster and I hope you never publish agian. I have seen the titles of your other books and they are all about similar subjects.

6. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

What on earth would I have to gain from handing you a free copy?

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Wayne? :confused:

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which "MLS execs" have you spoken to?

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Teddy Roosavelt, before taking Panama from Colombia.

Like Antonio said(when dealing with the ladies,) ¨talk softly and carry a big dick.¨

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teddy Roosavelt? :confused:

12. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

Given that it's you -and I know you're obsessed with trying to irritate me- do some research and find out for yourself. It shouldn't be too hard as all the names have been published in articles in the US media.

If you struggle, I might give you a few clues.

:D

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It's true.

American's live in constant fear of getting their asses kicked, and the British won't hesitate to throw down at the drop of a hat.

That's why Britian has always had so many great boxing champions.

14. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Dougie,

I suggest a sequel to this book. You should start researching it now.

It would be more interesting if you went down to central america following some MLS sides in the CONCACAF Champions Cup and the new CONCACAF Champion's League and sit amongst the crowd and see the bags of urine and hard objects thrown at MLS players. Seriously, the real hooligans are south of the border and our guys are subjected to them every year. Think about it, you'd get to go to some interesting places you perhaps have never been and witness what international away games are like on this side of the pond.

Just watch some video of the Houston vs Puntarenas FC match in Puntarenas, Costa Rica and that crap stadium they call the Hot Box. Or look at the beginning of DC United's match against Olimpia in Teguchigalpa, Honduras where they marched into a stadium with police with military assualt weapons.

Fan behavior is a big problem throughout CONCACAF especially in UNCAF and a ban of fans probably cost LD Alajuelense a spot in the Champions Cup. See this story: http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champscup/viewArticle.asp?id=4046

This leads CONCACAF to over react to MLS fans in the states on the home legs. For instance last year CONCACAF handed down a fine to DC United just cause some fans lit off smoke bombs which i might add done in like almost every match SAFELY, yet CONCACAF needed to shakedown DC United for routine non-violent fans behavior because of CONCACAF's perception being colored by what goes on in UNCAF and Mexico to a lesser extent.

Since this involves MLS clubs and their fans potentially traveling to very hostile grounds south of the border, where the home fans often openly and violently express anti-americanism and racism at a time when MLS is both getting more attention and at the same time participating more heavily in international competitions then the time is right.

Anyway, you seem like a brave kinda guy who has been in a lot of dodgy situations so this book idea is right up your alley.

And since the Champions Cup takes place in March, may I suggest a title for such a book: "The Hooligans of March"

Cut me in for like 10% of the book sales and we will call it even ok?

PS: Watch the following video for the incident described in that CONCACAF link above:
    [youtube]pWY0EIvNmD4[/youtube]
    [youtube]4nPSTM-ZOkQ[/youtube]
    [youtube]9aVJMza3rKY[/youtube]

Oh yeah and if you go down there bring a bodyguard and translator unless you speak spanish. Houston Dynamo faces CSD Municipal in Guatemala some time between the 11th and 13th of March.

15. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look, it's town against town, the Yanks will never get it.

16. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like ricky hatton? :rolleyes:

17. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow jade, it looks like you just wrote dougie's next book for him. now all he has to do is add 93 pages of his autobiography and then it's done.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess the number of MLS execs you've spoken to is exactly the same as the number of MLS games you've attended.

Zero.

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    You haven't made a cogent point in an internet group, much less a book. I find plenty of links saying Dougie Brimson is an idiotic and talentless hack, but none saying you've done any research. Is this sorta like you "response" to your reviews that responded to none of the criticism? To me it's obvious that your sophmoric, at best, argument (that apparently consists of 7 pages) is so poorly researched that any clue as to what supports it would spoil any original material you have. So, instead you just continue to spout the same nonsense. Clearly you use the internet, why are you so loathe to use a link in support?

20. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

Lol! And yet again, you'd be wrong. I'm quite worried that this is becoming a habit wth you. You don't do anything important in real life do you?

21. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

It's simple really. I'm English not American and it's not in our nature to blow our own trumpets. Hence, I always prefer to let sales figures do my talking for me.

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Unadulterated bullshit from an unabashed spammer. Everytime you're exposed you come will weak pale insults, whether they're towards women, people whose dogs just died, the Scottish, Americans, or whomever shows you to be the slimey piss stall smut peddler you are. It's as simple as your complete lack of credibility and knowledge.

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Your starting of this thread was blowing your own trumpet.

24. dougiebrimson

dougiebrimson Member

Sep 14, 2007

Lol! And you wonder why I never bother to enter into any kind of debate with you.

25. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    recieved the book for christmas, stayed up reading it last night, not quite finished yet, but i'll be doing my english project on it:)