March for DCU Stadium: Richmond Thread

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by rwhgeek, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that don't know the deal I am copying a Barra email but it is for ALL DCU supporters:

"This message goes out to all the Barra fanatico’s near and far. As you may or may not know our team is in a real situation where talk is they may one day be relocated. As diehard supporters of United you know as a Barra member we will NEVER let this happen without a fight. It’s the Barra way. Now more than ever we need our members help into doing whatever it takes into making sure this never happens. The Barra staff has worked hard with the team and amongst ourselves and other supporters groups that ensure our future.. As a collective we’ve settled on May 9th as a March on Washington, DC as a show of solidarity and to show the rest of MLS and the country we won’t lose our team. The steps are few but simple and we hope effective….We will give all members update Monday as soon as we get the required permit."

Let's use this thread to organize the Richmond effort. We need everyone there. I started an event on Facebook as well. We need everybody there. This march could blow up in our faces if there are only a couple hundred. So clear the calendars and get those folks that only go to a few games.

Also I think we need some banners that point out that folks from Richmond travel to DCU matches. Something as simple as "RVA 4 United". I have just enough beer in me that all my other banner ideas are either obscene or make no sense.

2. Hunter R

Hunter R New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Me, Myself and I
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm glad this is on the 9th. I will be back from Syracuse for the summer and that will be my first game of the year.

3. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on being at this for sure. Let's make this the biggest road trip of the year! No catchy banner ideas at the moment but agree we should have something calling us Richmond folk out.

4. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh, I'm actually available this day. Not sure if I can convince the wife how important it is, unless I bring her along with Olsen. I'll post back!

5. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in! I got the van, let's do this

6. Unitard Fan

Unitard Fan New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm there and I'm brining as many people as I can.

7. Doug Dobey

Doug Dobey New Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In.
    Would carrying a Virginia flag help or hurt the cause?
    I mean, to us it means Virginia supporters for keeping DC in DC.
    I'm not sure it would be viewed that way by the casual observer.
    Thoughts?

8. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good question, it could go either way. I'm for the Richmond banner for sure!

9. dcLIZunited

dcLIZunited New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Lot 8, RVA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll be there in spirit...I already have things lined up for that weekend. Do me proud, fellas. :)

10. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to try and make an RVA for DCU banner this weekend. I think VA or even Richmond City flag would be fine. The important thing is that we must have bodies. So invite those friends, offer to cover some cost, promise free beer, and don't forget to mention the crack and strippers in Lot 8.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  12. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link Chico.

Richmond Crew. I bought a black sheet and a white sheet today and some pvc pipe for banners and flags. I already have have a DC flag and the Barra Flag. I plan to buy a VA flag later today or tomorrow. Anybody have any desire or skill to help with the actual creation of the banner? If nobody volunteers it will be a simple two pole saying "RVA for DCU".

13. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, Oscar has asked my band to perform at the tailgate on the 9th. So if you wanna ride with us, we'll be leaving Richmond at noon. I'm providing the PA so we have to get there early, set up etc... There should be room for like 5 or 6 people after the band of course. thanks!

14. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay let's get this carpool thread going. Here is what I know.

Pedro has room for 4 -5 in the van with the band. Leaving at 12.
    Travis I know is going. Any room Travis?
    The cutest couple in Lot 8 (Doug an Scott) are going. Any room gents?

I was not planning on driving unless the car is needed.
    Brian will be in DC but needs a ride back he will be giving up his parking pass to the lucky individual that elects to give him a ride back.

Post how much room you have here so we can co-ordinate and get has many bodies up there as possible.

15. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can give Brian a ride back for sure, we'll just save that spot for him. Would love that parking pass :D

16. Unitard Fan

Unitard Fan New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roy is making some "Mock-ups" at work. It's his job, actually. He does Graphic design for banners of all sizes and what not. You may want to get in contact with him.

I don't think I'll have any room. We have four of us in a car already. Unless we end up taking two cars because somebody else wants to go, I think that'll be the case for saturday.

17. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard is picking up the parking pass tomorrow morning Pedro. Thanks for the ride back! If there is any need for folks to meet at my house and leave some cars, just let me know.

18. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool, so am I getting it from him or is he coming with us? Also, could you PM me the directions to that side entrance into Lot 8 we took that one time. We're gonna need to get in that way with our trailer and everything. thanks

Pedro

19. Sebacore

Sebacore New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sara and I are also going and if there is room would love a ride. We are going to work on some sign tonight as well. I'll be getting two DC friends to meet up with us so they too will march.

20. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "back" entrance goes like this.

• Take a left at the locked gate to Lot 8 off of the freeway
    • Take your first left on 17th St SE
    • Go 3 blocks and take a right on Potomac Ave SE
    • Go 2 blocks and take a left on 19th St SE (the map on the back of the parking pass picks up here. You'll be coming into the map on the very bottom left hand corner proceeding under the "M" in "Media" on the map that's on the back of the ticket and taking the next right on Independence)
    • Go 5-6 blocks to Independence Ave SE and take a right
    • Stay in the right lane and look for the sign that says "Media Entrance"
    • Take right into Media Entrance and you should know where you're at

If for some reason the entrance is not open, keep circling around the stadium and aim for Lot 4. Call me if you need as I'll be in DC around 1:00.

21. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent, it all makes sence. but i'm sure you mean a RIGHT on 17th st.

22. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone that's going up with the band at noon needs to get a hold of me asap. So far I got ZERO confirmed, so if you hinted at me, i still need confirmation from you. word, see you guys there either way!

23. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was getting late for me when I made that last post :D