March 2023: Nations League. The Rebuild

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 3, 2022.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    My number one priority for this camp was to get the new coach in. That's out, so then my number one priority was to get Reyna back in camp and not make it weird. Seems like he may need time off, so that might be out.

So my number one priority was to make Nations League finals... but we just need two ties, really, so while it's not guarantee we don't need a full A team probably...

So I dunno. I still want to make the semis and finals, so I don't want to see a fully experimental team. I think we also saw in January, it's not that useful for evaluating players when the context isn't the actual National Team.

So I'd do A Team minus players who need/want a rest plus something around five to six guys I want to see. If there is a May window, that can be European experimentation like January camp unless we have a new coach.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn’t be the May window be the Nations League Finals?

My general sense is that we’ll call an A team but won’t call guys if they even have a slight knock (as many do at current). Hudson seemed to emphasize dual nationals in January so I think we’ll also see more of that.

The biggest question for me is mostly whether Ream or Zimmerman go as both are clearly A team guys at current but are also both on the older end where they probably won’t be around next cycle. And calling some combination of Richards, Robinson, CCV, McKenzie, and Trusty is a pretty strong group.

3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    The way I think about it, we can and should still call most of our A-team for March. We don't get that many chances for the core to play together, and we want to make sure we advance. However, that doesn't mean there isn't significant room to cast a wider net. If we take the WC roster as our A-team, we have:

GK: Turner, Horvath, Johnson
    FB: Dest, Scally, Robinson, Yedlin, Moore
    CB: Ream, Zimmerman, CCV, Long
    CM (as listed on the official release): Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Musah, Roldan, De la Torre, Acosta*
    Wing: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Morris
    CF: Sargent, Ferreira, Wright

Not to say that these guys won't play a role again going forward, but I think it's safe to say that everyone (on BS at least) agrees that we should look around to see if we can do better than Johnson, Yedlin, Moore, Long, Roldan, Morris, and Ferreira. That's 7 spots open right there if we drop those guys.

In addition, Pulisic might still not be match fit; Wright isn't playing whether it's because of injury or transfer situation; and Ream is too old to count on to be around in 2026. If we don't bring those guys, that's 10 open spots, while still being an A-team. Maybe that goes down to 9, if Pulisic is fit, but still, that leaves a lot of room to experiment.

* I didn't list Acosta as someone to upgrade, even though that would definitely be nice, since 1) I still don't see a good backup option at the 6, and 2) he's a CONCACAF brawler and might come in handy against El Salvador.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    June.

I think the age thing is too presumptive, especially with really just three years. Are we sure that Walker Zimmerman isn't going to be a good option at 32? I also think there's value in having Ream around even if 38 or whatever seems a bridge too far.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One expects this to be close to the A starting XI with some changes around the fringes. Maybe some of the best performers from the January camp (Vazquez, Tolkin, etc.)

We shouldn't go whole-hog with experiments because El Salvador is better than that. In our last three games against El Salvador, there have been two draws and a 1-0 win.

theboogeyman repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine things are just pushed back with the season being pushed back but then there definitely isn't a May window. There have been rumors of an April friendly against Mexico outside the window.

I think if you're calling an A team for a must win game both are definitely coming in. It's just a question of whether you want to treat it like that or not. I'd like to start reintegrating Miles Robinson for instance and I'd like to take a look at Trusty (if healthy). It would be nice to get Chris Richards some run if he's healthy too. And I think CCV and McKenzie both deserve more of a look too.

The Gold Cup is earlier this year compared to 2021 so maybe European guys will be more able to play in it and we look at some of those guys then. But I definitely want to see some of these guys get the chance to get some run.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    they shouldnt' keep calling in guys who aren't playing
    dest
    pulisic
    wright
    reyna

and stop calling in players we know aren't good enough
    roldan
    morris
    acosta

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who you calling up to play the 6 instead of Acosta?
    That's been the problem for years now, and why he'll likely be our most capped active player (if Yedlin is phased out).

Johnny maybe, but the list is very short. Particularly if McGlynn and a few others are with the U20s.

The idea here is to win.

Boysinblue and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Hudson said he’s calling a full strength team my guess as to what we’ll see

I left out Richards and Sargent for now as I know both have minor injuries but assume they go if healthy. Same with Zendejas.

GK: Turner, Steffen, Horvath
    RB: Dest, Scally, Reynolds
    LB: Jedi, Tolkin
    CB: Ream, Zimmerman, CCV, Robinson
    DM: Adams, Acosta
    CM: Musah, McKennie, LDLT, Booth, Tillman
    WF: Weah, Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson
    FW: Pepi, Vazquez, Ferreira

largegarlic and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

weah...a left back
    pulisic...who wont have have played in months
    reyna...won't have played in many weeks
    aaronson...comes off the bench mostly for a bottom five pl team who can't score
    jesus...well we saw the world cup how much more evidence do u need he isn't the guy

what an awful group in attack

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well is there anyone else we should be calling who we aren’t?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Apparently we should forfeit because we don't have anybody with enough quality and match-fitness.

For heaven's sake, we're not playing Argentina. We're playing Grenada and El Salvador. I think Brenden Aaronson has the quality needed.............................

Eleven Bravo and gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say that this should be a semi-exploratory camp. But that’s just mg opinion. That includes taking a flier on someone like Alex Mendez who has not been involved yet. But I guess we’ll see.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether right or wrong Hudson indicated in his Athletic interview that he’s going to bring a first choice team. To me that seems to rule out more experimental guys like Mendez (unless there are injuries). My guess is we’ll see someone like Booth (if healthy), but not a ton of other new faces from Europe.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows what Hudson considers his first choice team, though.
    Probably could involve quite a bit of turnover from the WC roster.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will it?

I’m sure it will include Turner, Horvath, Jedi, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest, Scally, Adams, Acosta, Musah, McKennie, Weah, Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, and Sargent. Probably CCV. I think only Sargent is injured currently amongst that group but has a good chance of being back by the window. And that’s the bulk of the World Cup roster right there. Add in Miles Robinson and Chris Richards and you’re up to 18 or so players already.

The guys who are more up in the air are Johnson, Yedlin, Moore, Long, Roldan, Morris, Ferreira, and Wright. Wright is injured and some of those players might make it (I think Ferreira will for instance), but we aren’t going to see a ton of turnover unless there’s a major run of injuries over the next few weeks.

Anthony Hudson was part of the process of picking the World Cup roster, he’s not likely to have dramatically different opinions from what we’ve seen. My guess in terms of additions we see some dual nationals (like Zendejas if healthy) and 2-3 guys from Europe who have been surging (like a Booth, Tillman, or Reynolds).

The Gold Cup is likely where we are probably going to see a more experimental roster.

gogorath repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I bet more than a quarter of the NL roster won't have been on the WC roster. Partly due to injuries. Partly due to rotation in the back quarter of the roster. But that's like 6 players or so. So we're basically saying the same thing. Some of the guys who excelled in January camp (Zendejas if he's healthy, Tolkin, Vazquez). Some guys who just didn't make the WC squad: Booth, Pepi, Tillman, maybe Steffen returns, maybe Johnny at the #6, maybe Mihailovic. Maybe a CB like Miles, McKenzie, or EPB. The list goes on. I'm not saying all of these options, but some of them. There you have it. More than a quarter of the roster.

That's not "experiemental" per se. Simply bringing some guys who are at the top of the pool anyway.

The Nations League really isn't the time to be experimental. Cuz El Salvador ain't Malta. Our A team has gotten draws with them in 2 of our last 3 meetings. Field an experiment at our own risk.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m at the point of saying that if our B or C team can’t beat El Salvador at home, we don’t deserve to go through to the Nations League. Maybe, some of that is my lack of respect for El Salvador. Maybe, some of that is my lack of respect for the Nations League. But either way, if we don’t get 3 points from that game, it’s because we failed ourselves by just decided to mess around on the field.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its an undeserved lack of respect for El Salvador. They did finish ahead of Honduras in the Ocho, and we wouldn't think of fielding a B or C team against Honduras and just expect to win.

Since the start of 2021...........the US, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Jamaica have failed to beat El Salvador in games that mattered. That's "A" team versus "A" team. Ecuador drew them. Chile scraped thru with a 1-0 win. Mexico scraped thru with a 1-0 win. They beat Honduras 2-0 in San Pedro Sula for heaven's sake.

Grenada we can beat with a C team. They just lost to St. Lucia on March 3rd.

The Grenada game is first. So we can afford some rotation against Grenada, and then play a strong lineup against El Salvador.

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    again...lets call someone playing well

hoping these guys like mendez who have had years to prove they can belong against bad competition and continue to fail to do so...aren't the future its time to move on.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wouldn't have an issue with Mendez being called up as the last man on the roster.
    But in my opinion there are MLS central midfielders who are better options. Pomykal and Williamson, for instance, have started the season well.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And if we're getting Booth into the mix (and rightly so)...........there goes a midfield spot.

23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I’d like to see Dike over any other striker I think

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just would like to see him get a nod at some point. Maybe Pomykal and Williamson are better. But it’s so much easier to bring in them over Mendez who won’t be able to attend January Camps and so forth.

Note that if we were in the last year of the cycle, I would be okay with saying, that’s too bad for him. However, at the start of the cycle, this is when we take a chance on someone like him to see if he pans out or not.

But like you said, last man on the roster sort of deal, for now.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving it some thought, and there are so many moving parts that I’m doomed to get a few obvious pieces missing, but if I had to look at the summer’s u20 World Cup, Nations League, and Gold Cup rosters. [Not worrying about clubs denying call ups or anything]

u20 World Cup
    GK Gabriel Slonina, Chris Brady, Emmanuel Ochoa
    (Beavers, Borto, Carrera, Kochen)
    RB Justin Che, Michael Halliday (Cuevas, Pierre)
    CB Jalen Neal, Matai Akinbomni, Joshua Wynder, Brandon Craig (Ferkranus, Henry, Dettoni)
    LB Jonathan Gomez, Caleb Wiley (McFarlane, Jura, Allen)
    MF Jack McGlynn, Daniel Edelman, Noel Buck, Niko Tsakiris, Owen Wolff, Paxten Aaronson (Soma, Alvarado, Bajraktarevic, Raines, Puktsas, Baker-Whiting, Gill, Vargas, Medina, Cremaschi, Leyva)
    WG Kevin Paredes, Caden Clark, Cade Cowell, Brian Gutierrez (Luna, Hopkins, Ngoma, Sullivan, Fletcher)
    FW Ricardo Pepi, Darren Yapi (Neri, Zambrano, Soto, Figueroa, Kei, Sanogo, Oliva, Burton, Covil)

——————Pepi——————-
    Paredes————————Cowell
    ——————Aaronson————
    ———-McGlynn——Edelman—
    Gomez—————————-Che
    ————Neal———Akinbomni—-
    ———————Slonina—————

Nations League
    GK Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath, Roman Celentano
    RB Joe Scally, Bryan Reynolds
    CB Chris Richards, Miles Robinson, Auston Trusty, Erik Palmer-Brown
    LB Jedi Robinson, Sam Vines
    MF Tyler Adams, Brenden Aaronson, Weston McKennie, Yunus Musah, Luca de la Torre, James Sands, Alex Mendez
    WG Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, Alejandro Zendejas, Tim Weah, Malik Tillman
    FW Josh Sargent, Daryl Dike, Haji Wright

———————-Dike———————-
    Pulisic————————————Reyna
    ———Musah————-McKennie——-
    ———————-Adams———————
    Jedi——————————————Scally
    ————-Richards———Robinson——-
    ————————Steffen———————

Gold Cup
    GK Matt Turner, Sean Johnson, Drake Callender
    RB Sergino Dest, Reggie Cannon
    CB Tim Ream, Walker Zimmerman, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Mark McKenzie
    LB John Tolkin, DeJuan Jones
    MF Kelyn Acosta, Taylor Booth, Paxton Pomykal, Eryk Williamson, Johnny Cardoso, Cristian Roldan, Aiden Morris
    WG Jordan Morris, Paul Arriola, Alan Sonora, Djordje Mihailovic
    FW Brandon Vazquez, Jordan Pefok, Jesus Ferreira, Matthew Hoppe

—————-Vazquez—Ferreira————-
    Pomykal———————————Mihailovic
    —————-Booth———-Acosta————-
    Tolkin——————————————Dest
    —————-Ream———Zimmermann——-
    ————————-Turner————————-