March 2020 - Roster Predictions/Turnover?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m down on siebatcheu and Boyd but not a bad looking roster

What’s amazing is that we have posters who repeatedly state (and rep) that those who espouses that there’s an MLS bias means that they’re calling for:

- Danny Williams
    - Gedion Zelalem
    - Jon Amon
    - Erik Palmer brown

in the roster. Why aren’t they listed here?

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Boyd hasnt impressed me and would have no problem replacing him with someone like Arriola. We are short at wing and amid so tough calls to make. I think the three forwards listed could play some version of those roles in this system.

Why are you down on Siebatcheu? I would be happier if he was a starter and banging in goals, but he is still a squad player on the third place team in Ligue 1 with some good players in front of him. He still has all the tools he showed in 2nd division and a very good fit for Berhalter's system. Lets not forget the bar is Zardes!!!

To be honest, I havent been following any of these guys that closely due to where they play (hard to see matches) and injuries (current or past impact on career).

Danny Williams... not really needed anymore with Adam's, mckennie, and Morales

Gedion Zelalem... an 18 month injury at a critical point in his career was brutal. He was 20 and trying break into the first team and then found himself in the same situation at 22 having been out for what must have been an eternity. I find find repulsive that people use him as an argument against foing to a club like Arsenal. I thought SKC was a terrible fit and hoping that the style of play in NYC is better for him and he and Parks careers take off. I might have considered him for the January camp as he is still probably one of the best candidates for the silly regista role. He comes with all the shortcomings of Bradlwy and Trapp too.

Jon Amon... no idea if he is healthy. Career seems to have stalled, but dont really know.

Erik Palmer brown... no idea how he is doing. No reason that he and CCV should get a look along with Miles and Richard's in the near future. I think Long is very over rated and horrible fit if Berhalter is going to make them play out of the back no matter what.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I was being facetious with the last four guys. None of those guys belong in the squad and for posters to reference them as indicative of what the "there's an MLS bias" want is disingenuous and meant to distract rather than enhance discussion.

Siebatcheu isn't scoring goals.

HScoach13 repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I am not as dismissive of the last three. They are still prospects but that window is closing quickly on EPB and Zelalem. I thought Amon showed well for the USMNT in his brief appearance. If he gets healthy and starts performing, he should be in the picture due to the lack of quality at his position.

There shouldnt be some arbitrary criteria, but simply how do players stack up vs the other players and could they help the team. Here are their competition in the current camp. I can pick at least one at each position that I dont think belong based on their play with the USMNT. These three might not be the next guys in line, but I would consider that they might be an improvement over those selected.

Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 16/3), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Christian Cappis (Hobro/DEN; 0/0), Bryang Kayo (Unattached; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 13/2), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 1/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 6/0),

Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 32/5), Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas; 0/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 5/0), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; 0/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10),

Is Siebatcheu blowing chances? Not getting into good positions? I dont know. I do know that he looked a very complete forward in the second division and is a part of a team that is currently in a spot to qualify for the chamions league. I'd put him in a camp side by side with Zardes. I'm guessing it is a very easy decision on which is better. Maybe some games with the USMNT and possibly some goals help push him over the top with his club.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    There is no way those three deserve time unless there's a Camp Cupcake for non MLS players. Using the Cupcake roster is simply apples-to-oranges.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That was the point, which i think you missed. Those players are thrown out as examples of great Euro talent that we are not calling. Nobody is talking about them though. It was a sarcastic post.

I think Reyna has to be on the roster. He looks to be a key player for Dortmund, so I can't see them releasing him to Mexico in March, even if GB wanted to snub him.

Reyna was born in England and has a Portugese or Italian passport, so he is tri-national eligible? Or is being born in England not a citizenship guarantee? Or is he UK eligible, thus could play for any of the four British countries?

Transfrmrkt only lists him as American on his page but as a Portugese dual national on the BVB page.

No, I don't think he is a flight risk. Even less so than Pulisic during the week of Croatia rumors. Just a thought experiment. There will be a story or two about Portugal contacting him, probably soon.

DHC1 repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    hey, wasn’t I the one making that point?!!!

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That could change in a couple of months. Why is that there is such a desire to eliminate players from the pool. I'm not demanding that they be called in, but since they might warrant it in the near future, why not keep them in mind and maybe call them in to see where they are at in person.

We have played many players over the course of 2019 that were on par with this roster. From this roster, I dont rate Zimmerman, roldan, and lewis who have all been in the side outside January camps. How do those guys have 35 caps between them? All three were on the gold cup roster along with Mihailovic.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Cmon. I didn't send them to the firing line but they're far down the list. If circumstance change, the team should revist but they're far from being a real prospect. Same could be said for many MLS players

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This is kind of the Phil Rizzuto problem with the Baseball HOF. He was super famous, so his buddies put him in through the backdoor. Now, any 10 year shortstop can look at his stats and claim a spot.

I'm more interested to see that Gregg is moving away from his "Club" approach and to a more NT approach than to find European based players on par with Lewis (of which there are dozens).

March, with the games in Europe, and much of the MLS talent in Mexico, will be an opportunity though. Of course, there is no reason not to look at anyone. But the roster competition is getting to the point that only the best MLS players would even be involved and you will have to be on the rise with a top club in Europe to break in. I think that kind of roster is within the year.

If guys like Roldan and Gasper are making the roster in June, we have a problem.