Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe this is the first time since his injury that he's played two games in a row. Maybe he's finally getting healthy.

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is from about a week ago, but its great nows. I included the parts about Pelosi below if you don't want to click the link, but I can't get the two images of Pelosi to post, so you'll have to click the link to see the pictures.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...marc-pelosi-in-liverpool-first-team-t/page/1/

Both Jordan Williams and Marc Pelosi took part in Liverpool training at Melwood today.

Liverpool got back into training at Melwood this morning, after being comfortably defeated by Real Madrid at Anfield in the Champions League.

Of course all eyes were on Mario Balotelli. The Italian was the main talking point after the game, mainly due to his half-time shirt swap with Real Madrid defender Pepe.

But there was also a couple of interesting and notable presences in training, in the form of a pair of Liverpool youngsters.

Marc Pelosi is a USA-German dual nationality midfield starlet who was tipped for big things upon his arrival at the club in 2011.

He has suffered with very serious injuries in his time at the club and is a United Stated youth international. He has not yet made an appearance for the Liverpool first-team, so for the 20-year-old to be training with the first-team will make him very pleased indeed.

The two have been snapped in action, even going at it with the £36 million summer arrival pair of Balotelli and Lazar Markovic.

Time will tell if either can make it into the regular first-team picture.

Sup Bro, jakepc42, chad and 4 others repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    jakepc42 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like he has a groin injury. I don't read Norwegian, but this is what google translate had to say:

http://www.liverpool.no/nyheter/pelosi-skadet-igjen.aspx

Pelosi hurt again
    Pelosi INJURED AGAIN
    Liverpool's young and unfortunate American Marc Pelosi is back on the treatment table. This time it's a groin injury that keeps him out of the game.
    Torbjørn Flatin //tflatin Sunday, 09/11/2014 12 noon: 04

- Yes, that's right, I'm unfortunately injured again, smiling sympathetic Marc stated when liverpool.no meet him at The Academy in Kirkby just outside Liverpool. 20-year-old has completed a session of personal training at the club's indoor hall.

- It's about an injury in the groin, and I hope to be back before long again.

The versatile American was long out after a nasty broken leg, but has signed up ready to play again in the fall just to have received several setbacks.

- It is not unusual that you get some minor injuries after being trained up in such a way, and I have already had two or three pieces, explains Pelosi easier stated.

Testudo and wixson7 repped this.
  5. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
  6. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
  8. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I didn't look that closely and some of these guys blend together but this is the only photo of Pelosi I could find at Camp Cupcake. As you can see, excellent technique:

[​IMG]

soccersubjectively and neems repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a limp?

neems, Tom Collingsworth, ielag and 4 others repped this.
  10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but it certainly looks like one leg is shorter.:rolleyes:

11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reports out of camp are not exactly flying fast and furiously. Have there been any reports about the younger guys at all?

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    After devastating injury, Pelosi battles to be part of USMNT
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ool-youngster-marc-pelosi-battles-be-part-usm

Hararea, Winoman and (TxT) repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it makes sense for him to be a way from Liverpool if this is a rehab camp for him. I'm guessing he gets to spend time with family too, which is good.

14. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    I don't think this is "rehab" but maybe i read that wrong. In his own words he's been back for months. “Everyone knows I had a long injury when I broke my leg two years ago, but I've been back for quite a while, six or eight months, with no problems right now ...,”

I'd love to know what Rodgers and Liverpool's staff think of him. He had a big injury but he's 20 now and that team has a lot of competition and i know of quite a few names that the fans are exited about. For starters, he's obviously competing in a what's a 3 man midfield with Gerrard, Lucas and Coutihno. And then you've got the likes of Henderson, likely future captain, Sterling that can play the 10 in there too. That's a tough midfield to crack considering those guys are getting lots of games. 20 isn't old or anything but there's lots of guys in that age range in the first team or on loan. Teixeira is 21 on loan, Manquillo is the same age and getting starts at right back. They got younger guys playing central midfield Jordan Rossiter and Jordan Williams that played in Cup and made benches this season. Jordan Ibe is younger and was recalled and got minutes in the last league game. (Yes this roster has 4 players named Jordan). I've heard lots of hype about this Ojo kid who is like 17 and he made the bench. Emre Can is probably the future central midfielder and current starting right sided center back in a back three and he just turned 21 like a week ago. Keep in mind at 20 he's a central midfielder that's so good at playing centerback that he's keeping out centerback Dejan Lovren who Liverpool paid over 20 million for. Crazy. And at 20, last season, Flanagan (The Scouse Cafu) was a starting left back. Knee injury now. So yep that's a lot of competition, and potential competition. But at least young guys are getting a shot which you can't really say for like Man City. Maybe they think it will be a valuable experience to be around J.K. Don't know but i'd love to know if Liverpool staff sees a future for him at the club.

15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    "Compartment syndrome" is not an encouraging phrase (see Steve Zakuani).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think they are so deep that Pelosi couldn't get into the team if he played well.

Gerrard is leaving at the end of the season. There have been rumors that Lucas is leaving as well, so he might be another one that could be gone pretty soon although he's been playing a lot more recently. Allen's been injured a lot recently and he's in and out of the squad anyway. I don't think he's that good. I agree that Henderson and Can are looking like the future of Liverpool's midfield. Might be hard to break into a starting lineup with those two there, but Rodgers hasn't been using Can in the center of midfield, so maybe he doesn't see him as a central midfielder. Rossiter is really young. I'm not sure if he's ready yet. Williams is around Pelosi's age, and could be competition going forward. The rest of the players you named aren't really CM's. If Pelosi's good enough, I don't think he'll have a problem breaking into Liverpool's deep squad. Pelosi is a versatile player. He can play in many positions.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pelosi doesn't need to play "well" to get in to 1st team. Pelosi needs to "walk on water" to get in to the 1st team, he lost a lot of time since his injury.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did he lose all of his talent? He lost like 18 months, not five years.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the catastrophic nature of his injury, it's an open question that remains to be answered.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fair point. I really don't know the answer. Haven't seen him play since the injury. What I'm saying is that I don't think the automatic reaction should just be that he has lost all his ability because his recovery took longer than other players.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one said he lost all of his ability, simply pointing out that he should be more advanced in his progress.

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The odds of him ever becoming a 1st team regular at a club like Liverpool (even before the injury) weren't great...

Do not be disappoint... I will be happy if he becomes a regular anywhere in the top 2 divisions of England.

23. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    The next sixth months are about being healthy and hoping for a loan next season. A 21-year-old competing for minutes in the lower divisions isn't a bad thing. .

Stay healthy. Get a loan. Get minutes. One step at a time.

ielag and GalacticoX4 repped this.
  24. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Yes, anyone will play if they "play well." That is however an extremely high bar at Liverpool.

But As for not being central midfielders. Well some players I mentioned, I did simply to illustrate that younger guys have already gotten shots so at his age he should be starting to get a look in. The players i named, Ojo, Flanagan, Manquillo, i brought up not because they are competition for a midfield spot but simply to illustrate that even at 19, 20, 21, these players on a good path are starting to crack the matchday lineup or already have.

As for depth at central midfield well i'd just disagree with your assessment. Like you said yes anyone that plays well will start but that means playing better than the guys there and doing enough in practice to prove you deserve to be in the squad which he isn't. Technically he's an academy player too not even a first team player like the others i mentioned. http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team Right now he's not even at Melwood, he's with the USMNT. So clearly, at this point, he's behind every player i've mentioned. Again, Williams, Rossiter others have already played in Carling Cup matches this season. Rossiter may not ready yet? Sure. He's in the first team squad though. He was on the bench for the Saturday's game against Bolton and played other cup games this season. Ibe was a substitute for Sterling, against Villa in the midfield. Coutinho is very much a central midfielder and he can play deep lying of behind strikers. And he can play wide left in a 4-3-3 and late last season he played right sided midfield in a diamond against City where he scored the winner. Sterling played the beginning of the season and part of last season directly in the 10 role and considering Sturridge will come back soon I'd expect, depending on the shape they play, 3-5-1 or -4-3-3 he can drop into midfield. All these players are versatile. I forgot about Markovic who is playing right wing back now even though he was bought as an attacking midfielder. Versatile too because in Portugal he occasionally played at striker.

As for Lucas right now he's starting most games. And considering he's a Brazilian World Cup member but for a knee injury you have to recognize that that is the standard or player they are looking for in that role. But even so It's unlikely he's going this season and there's also rumors of James Milner coming in on a free in the summer, MVilla, Schneidelen. Can't do much with rumors but I doubt they'll stand pat if Lucas leaves.

I'm not remotely saying he's done, or it's impossible, or he's too old. He's been delayed by injury. That has to be considered. But i think it's a tougher line up to crack than you're making out. I wish him well.

Gacm32, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, it was an uphill struggle for Pelosi to get into Liverpool without being out injured for 18 months. It's pretty obvious that it's even harder after that occurred.

Balerion repped this.