Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo!

wixson7 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  3. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all of Liverpool's recent signings, I don't see him breaking into the first team soon, like I did before his injury. Should we expect a loan this season?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He said he isn't ready to return, so I guess its not a matter of the tough competition at Liverpool. He needs to get himself match fit. Its been 17 months since he broke his leg and he's still not match fit. I don't know if he's had any setbacks, but at this stage surely a player should be match fit after that injury. Maybe he had another injury that we don't know about.

5. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think I saw that he's just in the final phase of rehab but yeah

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    I think there is a lot of competition at Liverpool. They have a lot of talent in their youth system that supporters talk a lot about plus guys on loan that are touted too. Some may get sold or loaned too so that may thin the heard. Of the people that can play in the left side of midfield they already have Sterling, Coutihno, Allen. They signed Lallana, Markarov (who i think can play there). I've read can can play any midfield position and left back which is why they bought him but i've heard he's really a defensive midfielder so i'm just throwing that out there. Oh i forgot Henderson too, though he was more wide on the right or playing central. Also I think with Suarez gone they won't play much 4-4-2, and even last year when they did it was a diamond midfield. There weren't really traditional widemen like in a traditional english 4-4-2.

I'm only posting hear because i followed a link to a link to a video about a youth player at liverpool and started to think about Pelosi. But one of the commenters mentioned that they also have Borini returning from Sunderland, Suso returning from i think Sevilla loan, Jordan Ibe returning from a loan to Birmingham, and from what i hear the hottest prospect at Liverpool now is a portuguese kid named Joao Teixeira and that's the link i followed to this video and he looks damn good. Anyways seeing that got me thinking of Pelosi and brought me here. So stiff competition it looks like. So from what i'm guessing It's gonna be a super hard side to crack anytime soon and with all those propects may even be hard to get a loan out because people may be after other players first. But then again I read that John Flannagan wasn't wanted by any team for a loan last year and due to injury he was forced to play. Now he's a starter. But just a guess but a loan may be a great blessing and a chance to play and impress rather than playing meaningless reserve games.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't even know his fitness status at this point. It ain't worth dreaming about any first team call ups if he isn't even on the field.

9. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    A lot of people at Liverpool 'like' Pelosi, but competition was intense even before his injury. This season, he should focus on fitness, U-21s, and finding a position. One good thing for Pelosi is that his most similar player at his level is Jack Dunn, who is actually more versatile than Pelosi (saying a lot), more powerful, and local, but he has seemingly been moved to Striker, or is at least playing a lot of games there at reserve level. Liverpool do not have many good youth/reserve strikers. Yesil, a German has been injured more than Pelosi, nobody else is all that talented until you get to Jerome Sinclair, who is still eligible for U18 play despite making his first team debut 2 years ago. Sinclair had an on/off season last year so its not clear if he will be the normal U21 striker or U18 striker. This leaves room for Pelosi, but he has competition chasing him.

Central midfield has been taken over by younger players like Jordan Rossiter and Cameron Brannagan, LFC folks are enamored with them, although I'm not as high on Brannagan. Chirivela is a VERY highly rated defensive mid from Valencia, he is still U18, but could get a lot of U21 look ins.

Out wide there is Ryan Kent and Harry Wilson, LFC fans rate them VERY highly, who are up and comers from the U18s, plus Ibe is seen to have a very bright future out wide (should be loan or first team, but if he is on bench will need U21 games to stay match fit) and Peterson is solid and creative out there too (but should go out on loan), and oh yea there is Sterling and Markovic.

Left back may be his best hope. O'hanlon plays there some in the reserves, he is just an average utility guy to me. Jack Robinson, despite playing in Rafa Benitez's last game in charge, has not kicked on and just looks a league one level player. Brad Smith is rated somewhat highly, he is very, very athletic; played against Chelsea last season, but did not perform well, he could be loaned out. Then all Pelosi has to beat out is Joe Maguire a decent academy player, but nothing great, and Spurs reject Kevin Stewart. Also, at first team level, nobody at LFC is in love with Enrique, and while John Flanagan had a good year at LB, its not his natural position, and I have to think its only a matter of time before he gets exposed. And then there is Can who is capable of playing LB, but is more of a midfielder

I like Pelosi at LB and DM, but DM is never going to happen at LFC for him, unless he really kicks on and can be Can's replacement after he takes Gerrard's spot.

E Diddy repped this.
  10. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Oh i forgot about Rossiter. Yeah and Ibe is really popular. I thought he was better than Sterling two seasons ago. I don't think there's a chance Flannagan goes anywhere except to right back. Johnson's contract ends this year and i think Flannagan will fight with him at right back. And rumor is they are going after Moreno still at left back and Ben Davies as a back up. But i think Flannagan is almost penciled in as the next England right back so it'd be surprised if he's not playing a lot. But time will tell. I haven't seen pelosi except a few clips in the midfield but i'd be surprised if he get's a runout in the defense. But that midfield has a lot of other prospects. I just hope he get's fit and get's some chances to play. The good thing is you look at Flannagan and Sterling and young players have got some shots at Liverpool. I know Texiera played in a game last season too.

11. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32, USA All DAY, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  12. Claude Ukulele

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    On the bench for the U21's game vs United

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Claude Ukulele

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    502902895709536256 is not a valid tweet id

15. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    He played about 10 minutes. First involvement was a nice trick in his own half to get away and then earned a free kick which also came with a yellow card. Had a couple of misplaced passes, and some decent moments too. He was in a great position to score from a quick free kick, but the player went 1 on 1 with the keeper instead of squaring and it was saved. I guess I would say he was playing centre-left midfield, but the formation for the attack all game was pretty fluid. He came on for the number 8, who had been playing true to his number.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  16. Claude Ukulele

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Having him back playing is great, hopefully he progresses and stays healthy.

he could solve our LB problem.

Gacm32, Testudo, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  17. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anymore news on him?

18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool's squad
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-25man-premier-league-squad-list-9711428.html

soccersubjectively, Gacm32 and Testudo repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't even in the squad for the last U-21 game. Seems like this is becoming a case of a promising player being derailed by a brutal injury that he can never fully recover from.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all are expecting way too much too soon. I said when he was injured, give him the same time he was out to be back on the field.

Woodrow repped this.
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you not realize how god awful the YA season has been going? Do you not realize how on edge we all are looking for any shred of good news? DO YOU NOT REALIZE???? DO YOU NOT??????

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinkin.

22. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alternatively, this could be the right week to start!

23. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's the time frame versus out to in? it must be pretty close to 1/1 at this point, no?

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hasn't been in the U-21 squad the last few games. I wonder whats going on.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a 2-1 U21 win over Tottenham:

U21s team: Ward, Stewart, Maguire (Pelosi 61), Cleary (Brannagan 77), Jones, Rossiter, Wilson (Trickett-Smith 61), Williams, Sinclair, Kent, Smith. Unused substitutes: Vigouroux, Randall.