Marc Pelosi at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, that makes sense. I was hoping that his new contract meant he was very close, but it seems likely he has had a setback. It's also possible that he's just being very careful about returning too soon.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's been nothing in any media report to suggest he's had a setback. Don't assume that.
    There's nothing in the player's own twitter account to suggest it either.
    https://twitter.com/marcPelosi

For instance he was just with Liverpool at a children's hospital:

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth, Testudo and Deeneaus repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He should have been back in training by at least september or october, assuming there were no setbacks. I think there was probably a set back. I don't see how the recovery could have been this long. Broken legs don't take nine months to get back to training.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All we know regarding his timetable was what was written in the article posted above from September:

Timetable on his return?

We would hope that he would back before Christmas. It’ll probably a year out [since his injury] but because of his age, we don’t want to risk it and bring him back too quickly. But he is chomping at the bit and I don’t think it’ll be too long before he’s training with the squad. He’s actually already weight bearing and running, so he’s certainly on the way back...."

So Liverpool was thinking they'd get him back at about this time. Right now his twitter feed suggests that he's home for the holidays.

I'm not going to assume anything in this scenario as we don't really know anything other than what Liverpool and the player are telling us. But it certainly sounds like he's been "on track."

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    But the normal timetable for an injury like this is not 9-12 months. Its usually 5-8 months. Either Liverpool is taking it very slow with Pelosi's come back or he had a set back at some point. It might have been early in the recovery or might have been recently, but what we have heard is different from the normal recovery date for an injury like Pelosi's.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Dr. Soccer, other players like Eduardo have taken over 12 months to return to the field. Aaron Ramsey returned in 9, so perhaps your estimates are a bit off.

DKutulsa, USvsIRELAND, manoa and 6 others repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My estimates are not off for most leg breaks. Most players return to the field before ten months, which is where Pelosi is at right now. Maybe his break was more severe, and he was given a longer time table, but we were never given that information. I am basing this off of what you see on average. Obviously there are cases where it takes players longer to recover.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the confidence in your assertions, I'm sure you have better access to Pelosi's medical files than I do. I just basing my opinion off two similarly catastrophic injuries that a casual fan like me saw on TV.

Deeneaus repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I got no additional information. I just think its naive to point to two of the more catastrophic leg breaks of recent time as your evidence.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. Bienvenu's Ghost

Bienvenu's Ghost New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And out come the handbags....

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pelosi's leg break was fairly catastrophic.

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    FWIW, Pelosi broke his tibia and fibula

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I agree. I think any leg break is catastrophic, but how severe was Pelosi's leg break compared to other leg breaks? That is what matters in this case. I don't think any of us know how severe the break was and if he has had any set backs, but judging off of what a normal time table for a less severe leg break, he should have been back by now, assuming there were no set backs. None of us are his physician though, so all of this is just speculation.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In which case a) 10 months is a very aggressive timetable for a return to action and b) a sensible club will take more time than is strictly needed before putting a player back into action, especially a young player; there are all sorts of things that can go wrong.

The fact that he's jus been offered a contract extension suggests that there are no problems. The medical staff at a club like Liverpool are top notch and have access to some of the world's finest doctors. If they think there is no problem, there is no basis whatsoever to be having this argument.

USvsIRELAND, ebbro, ckl26 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    update on Pelosi?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was about to post the same thing. Its been about a year since the injury. He must have had a set back.

@revelationx, have you heard anything from the club or any Liverpool fans about Pelosi recently?

USAMEX10 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  18. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That's great news. Hopefully he can stay healthy and work his way into the first team next season.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Liverpool is transforming back into a perennial powerhouse. It's a good thing that they are one of the best EPL clubs when it comes to giving young players minutes/chances.

Best of luck to Pelosi now that he has recovered.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  21. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Apparently he almost scored as well

22. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays multiple positions, does he not? Where did he play against Chelsea?

23. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He can play CM, AM, Winger, and LB. I believe... Unfortunately I don't know what position he played against Chelsea. I think before he got injured he played mostly as a CM

24. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's definitely been more of a left sided player. It's hard to determine where he's best suited for the show.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With that last name he was never gonna play on the right!