Marc DeGrandpre Resigns

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by lkgf09, Apr 9, 2008.

1. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old ********ing Metro
    Oh, oh oh oh oh
    Same old ********ing Metro
    Oh, oh oh oh oh

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to get a true soccer guy in here to straighten this organization out. All starts at the top.

4. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What'll be hilarious, is if they pull in a guy with the soccer experience everyone has been begging for, and he f**ks everything up.

5. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    let the new guy continue to oversee the stadium and financial deals. They've made nice strides in the area of marketing this year, and it paid off a bit on Opening Day. The new hire should have those strengths.

I like the Agoos/Osorio team, they deserve to work the soccer side without intereference for the foreseeable future.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems funny to me that a non soccer guy like marc could fire a true soccer guy like bruce or anyone else. I think a soccer club needs a true soocer guy to be the head honcho and hire guys below him to do marketing or stadium crap, not the guy that oversees us from a soccer standpoint. I never understood how we did that or why. Give us a team president sort of that knows soccer inside out and demands respect from the soccer community. I want someone in it for the long haul.

7. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Holy sh!t. Didn't see this coming.

Most friendly, engaging Managing Director/GM we've ever had. Best of luck to him!

I wonder if it is a hockey position...?

8. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I posted this on Ives blog... Der Kaiser is coming!

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I offer you the following:

[​IMG]

Plus a supplemental draft choice.

In exchange you give us nothing.

How can you say no?

Please?

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    What the organization needs to hire is a sports marketing expert who understands and has experience in the NY marketplace and all the challenges of trying to compete with unlimited sporting and entertainment options in the region. Similar to the hire Chivas made with Hunter. Is it possible to poach someone from one of the other teams in the area? I think the person should do only the business side of things and have nothing to do with the on field or coaching decisions. That should be what Agoos' job is. I wonder if getting only 17k at the opener was considered a disappointment and thats what made this happen?

11. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you do! :rolleyes::D

12. NewcastleRBNY

NewcastleRBNY New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    North Jersey
    Why does it look like the men behind him are bowing to him? Like they are his devoted servants.

Anyway lets hope we get someone who knows what they are doing. We are on the edge of a new era for our team with the new stadium and hopefully some good international signings. We don't need someone to step in now and mess that up (Oh wait I forgot what club this was...)

So what are we thinking? Mia Hamm, Eric Wynalda, or Tony Meola as the new guy?

13. Nica1004

Nica1004 Member

Sep 14, 2002
    the couch
    Like this: No. (We can also laugh at you, but I will refrain from doing so and snicker while pretending to cough instead. ;))

This move upsets me, but I do wish deGrandpre the best. I thought the club was taking some pretty good steps in the right direction. Now, if they somehow get Peter Wilt, I will go "Marc who?" and apply for an internship whether I can get college credit or not.

14. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Since I started using Herbalife, I've grown in so many ways.....

Guess it's time for a new signature.

15. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Looks to me like they are praying this clown won't drag them down to ruin!

16. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I have been offered an opportunity that I couldn't turn down"

:D

Usual story. Maybe the real reasons will come out, maybe not.
    Best of luck to you, soda guy.

17. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

Ducking their heads quickly so they won't be recognized on camera, they think, "I can't believe he just said that. How embarrassing."

18. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    I wish Marc well. He was always friendly and happy to talk with fans. He really wanted the team to do well.

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Well, not so fast. I don't know why there's an assumption of dismissal. It isn't that he left to "pursue other opportunities." He apparently took a position in another organization. We'll find out soon enough what organization that might be.

20. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nominate myself as the Marketing Direct I'll bet you I'll do a hella of a job. :D :cool:

21. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming nothing, Doctor :)

Maybe he got the opportunity of a lifetime; maybe he just got tired of doing the grunt work for DM and company in Austria.

22. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, they are obviously wondering how to tell Alexi Lalas about the toilet paper stuck to his shoe.

23. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Marc seemed like a good and competent guy. I once called Red Bulls and left a message on his voice mail and he personally called back within hours. On the other hand after the big Shakira/Wyclef kickoff I've been kind of disappointed in the level of promotion of the club.

I thought Red Bulls would take the city by storm with a lot of street visability and activity. I expected a Red Bulls double decker bus with players and cheerleaders traveling to the main public spots like Times Square but in all five boroughs and north Jersey at least once a week. I also expected that Red Bulls would bite the bullet and pay to remove the football lines from the Meadowlands field. Instead we have road games being broadcast from the Garden and no pre and post-game or weekly shows.

I thought that Beckenbauer and other Cosmos would play a bigger role. I also expected a superstar name to attact fans and media attention.

On balance a good guy, I wish him well. It will be interesting to see if Red Bulls bring in a soccer guy or a business and promotion guy or a guy who combines both.

24. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    I smell Chinaglia.

25. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that Chinaglia stays as far away from MLS as possible. Cosmos ain't coming back man. Get over it already.