Maradona's comment's about the US

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mrecint, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see this? what a wash up...
    He says "I hate the US with all my strength..." Well Diego, I don't think you have much of that lately anyway since you've been doped up....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20349157/

2. SuperPlayer

SuperPlayer New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maradona has little strength, therefore he hates america only a little.

Can you americans not see this is a compliment and he is really saying he loves americans.

I am guessing maradona like others when they say they hate america they are emaning the administration. Most sane people dislike bush and blairs lies about the need for the war in iraq but people still like our music.

Maradona cheated against england in 1986 yet we still respect him as an athlete. Try to get past the nationalism.

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    His problem is he could have come here and would have come here to play like Pele did and be a hero to our people and he would have made a ton of money in the process.

Then the shiit hit the fan about all his cocaine use, and that opportunity went down the drain.

That is why he is bitter. He has only himself to blame.

4. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    never ever listen to or believe a word from a cokehead's mouth.

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...meh. whatever.

6. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, when a man says he hates your nation with "All his strength" it is up to him to disabuse us of the notion that he meant what he said, not for us to delude ourselves merely to keep comfortable our political bent.
    Maradona is a jackass. He was as a player, and he is as a man.

7. Jorge714

Jorge714 New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Sacramento
    Stop trying to belittle arguably the greatest player of all time and instead take a close intorverted look at American society and wonder why Mradona and so many others have hate for this country-not the people but the country the government, the system.

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Marradona means is U.S. foreign policy.
    If your open minded and not a right wing apoligist
    for the Bush adminstration you'd understand what he means.

9. woodlands

woodlands New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Houston, TX
    He's into leftist Castro politics, which isn't anything that any of us should admire. At least in my opinion.

And to have a strong "hate" for a society, or anything, and to be proud of it, and to spread it to others? That's just a universal shame.

I can think of a handful of pop songs off the top of my head with lyrics about how hate of any kind is wrong.

Whether you agree with the US policy on Iraq or not, I can't see any excuse for defending or excusing in any way this lame, has-been, doped-up, sensationalist hate mongerer. This is an embarrassment to himself, to his country, and to the sport of soccer.

I'm sorry I read this article. And I hope I soon forget it.

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go f*ck yourself.

I don't give a damn if you're Jesus Christ himself. You diss or belittle my country, you get dissed and belittled back, period.

Maradona is nothing but a washed up cokehead who spends his time licking Castro's balls while Chavez bangs him from behind. He's a pathetic loser who's a cheat, and will NEVER be as great at Pele...ever.

11. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I hate the U.S. with all my strength"??

Yeah, I'm sure that foreign policy was all he really meant when he made that statement :rolleyes:

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RRRRRRRRRRREP. Nothing else further needs to be said. Well done, lad.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Really? That is what pissed him off? Yeah the whole getting suspendend for years from soccer was behind to him being a hero to americans. :rolleyes:

The guy hates the US just like a lot of people do. I don't agree with his politics and I'm not a fan of the guy or his argentinean fanfare at all (I think Pele was better). I'm not defending him but he just hates the US. I really don't think he cared or was trying to get off cocaine to please americans. First off a lot of baseball players did cocaine, (hell a lot of people do ) so I really don't know why that would have killed it and second of all soccer wasn't close to being big in the US and not everyone cares about it. I think the whole Beckham thing has really gotten to some.

14. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    What a fucking asshole he is!
    And not because of what he said, but because he just gave ammunition to the soccer-bashing media.

I would be surprised if Rome does not pick up on this.

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was appearing on Chavez's radio show, what the hell else is he gonna say?

I remember reading that a couple American journalists and/or players ran into him at Copa America and he was nice enough. Not that he could particularly tell they were American. Or maybe even human, he's mighty out there at this point, maybe we're all just luminescent orbs to his altered perception...

16. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    If he hate the US, I really doubt he cares what Jim Rome, ESPN or PTI has to say about the sport.

17. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Relax.

Thanks to your current president and all his cronies, Maradona was stating what probably half the world thinks of the US right now. Unfortunately, those thoughts are hatred and resentment. If the current regime changes for the better, than the rhetoric of those that are anti US will settle down. As others have pointed out, the sentiment is more anti-Bush than anything else.

If Maradona's drug abuse causes such a revulsion in you, than I wonder what you think of your own country considering it is the number one drug consuming nation in the world.

And yes, Maradona was greater than pele ...

18. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    GREAT player. SHIT human.

19. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Argentina has a long history of being screwed over by western capitalist governments, so i can see why he would say such a thing

20. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Argentina also has a history of not supporting the Allies in WWII and harboring Nazi war criminals, so I can see why Western governments would've wanted to screw them over.

21. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    i doubt that since countries that actively supported the west during WW2 were also later screwed over.

22. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Maradona scored a goal that he dribbled thru' 4-5 English defenders, and got acclaimed as the best goal ever in the World Cup. All in a sudden he was greater than Pele?

And we haven't deducted points for his handball yet.

He won a World Cup for his team? Guess what? Paolo Rossi won a World Cup for his team. Ronaldo won a World Cup for his team. Garrincha won a World Cup for his team. Romario won a World Cup for his team. Zidane won a World Cup for his team. Even Bobby Charlton won a World Cup for his team.

I would say Paolo Rossi > Maradona. Not to mention Ronaldo, Zidane, Romario and Garrincha.

For Maradona to be greater than Pele, if he could have beaten Italy in Naples 5-2 and scored a hat trick, and beaten Germany in Rome 5-2 and scored 2 goals, then he'll get some considerations. As of now, he won a World Cup on the American continent. Big deal!

Without that dribbling goal against England Maradona would be just another Bobby Charlton. Who would be insane enough to say Bobby Charlton + a classic goal is greater than Pele?

23. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    here in europe almost everybody does not like the USA and American people, but they keep it for themselves in public.

24. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    but we see only the people from the usa like
    the real world
    oh my god types
    the fake happy suburban families from tv shows
    the oprah winfrey and dr phil show people
    and tourists
    and the politicians.

so it is not weird that european people think that american people are stupid.:D

25. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's arguing he wasnt a great player, and I doubt few are arguing that they disagree vehemently with what he says.

It's just...he's Maradona. Who gives a shit what he says. Its like listening to Britney Spears give relationship advice.