Maradona or Pele ?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by reggae boy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. reggae boy

reggae boy New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jamaica, West Indies
    Y'all who do u think is better ? I like them both but Maradona is on hell of a player.He got mad skillz, Pele to me is a goal scoring freak (no disrespect meant) Pele is the greatest goal scorer to ever play the sport.Now have your say!

GOD BLESS :)

2. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    They are both great, and both different players, who cares who was better?

3. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Pele is the far better player, but it really doesn't matter now does it?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know that no disrespect was intended by this question, but are we for real. pele was in a different class. it's pele, and then it's a few guys after him on the next level. 1400+ games and about 1250 goals. 'nuff said.

5. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Everytime people compare Pele & Maradona the conversation ends with "They are heroes of two different generations" Even though soccer doesn't change through the decades the way other sports do.

I think Maradona is the best, but I've never seen Pele playing and I don't know how much better he was to everyelse at the time.

I think is like comparing, Will Chamberlain with Shaquille O'Neal, Babe Ruth with Barry Bonds, etc,etc.
    They can't really be compared, all that people can do is see who was better compared to the people that they played against, how much they dominated the game, how much of a difference they made in their team when they were/weren't playing.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Doesn't matter. Neither are as good as David Thompson :D.

Pointless post for a pointless thread.

7. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    This thread is pointless for English fans, because english fans are the most close minded fans I've seen.
    I bet that if they did a survey of the 100 best soccer players ever, they would say that all of them are british followed by foreign players that played in England.

8. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    My favourite top 100 players of all time would be.

90 British based players

10 Foreigners that have played in England

9. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    No, it is pointless because:

1. Played in different positions, and at different times.
    2. It's a question or debate that gets put forward every bloody month. It's boring.
    3. Don't try to make out that all English fans are closed minded, because that shows you in the same light.

10. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    The difference between Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds is one is a legend. People like Pele, Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana are legends. They are recognized as the genesis of excellence in their sports. Of course players will come along who are as good as these other players, but they weren't the first.

That being said, Pele was the first. Maradonna may have been just as good as Pele, but he will always play second fiddle because he came out of the womb about 20 years too late.

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Pele wasn't the first. There were great players in the game long before he came.

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Are you guys for real?? Do you know how many times this has been discussed on bigsoccer?? I'll never know how many people rolled their eyes when they first saw this thread, but I guarantee you it's countless.

13. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Of course there were greats before Pele. But none changed the game like he did. Only Pele could make two warring countries stop for him to pass through.

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Tedious debate or meaningless argument?

15. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

dear dear dear... what would be the point of life? Just talking about bunch of stuff that we can't come to a conclusion isnt always pointless. It can be fun.

In winning eleven, I like Pele better because he heads the ball better.

16. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    both.

backers of both maradona and pele will always counter each other with good enough reasons for this argument to go on forever.

now, personally, I think Maradona blows Pele out of the planet and into the cosmos(pun intended).

As much of a tragic figure diego is, he's simply the greatest and if anyone disagrees with me... well then... you just suck and have to live with being wrong.

17. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    for those who haven't seen Pele play and for those who still try to compare him with any player, in a few months will be released a Pele's movie. This movie will have more than 400 incredible goals, and many amazing plays, and a computer generated goal that pele made which wasn't recorded, which he classifies as the most beautiful goal he made...

After you watching the movie let's bring this thread up again...

18. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pele didn't change the game so to speak he just was the best player around when the media was becoming a stronger factor in the world of football, no disrespect to him becasue he an all time great.

There are a few players who were as good just at the wrong time like Di Stefano.

If anyone changed the game it was the Hungarian teams of the 50's and the Dutch of the 70's no one player.

19. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    I agree with you whole heartedly on the media aspect. Quick international communication was coming into form right as Pele began to emerge... but I credit Pele for that too. :)

Also agree, that tactically, Total Football is probably the most revolutionary thing to happen to soccer ever.

However, pound for pound, one man's effect of enthralling millions and amazing non-believers, Pele beats out any other competitors.

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pele did alamst more for the game than anyone else in terms of promoting it and representing it well across the globe while being the best player of his time and generation much like Jordan did with the Bulls and NBA in the 80's and 90's, with that type of intrest the media will be sure to follow and more TV brodcasts will come becasue of money men wanting to line their pockets.

I am not too sure who I feel is the better player skills only but Pele is by far the better human being and gave as much back to the game as he gained from it.