Maradona,Cruyff,Pele,Di Stefano and

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by gento, Sep 16, 2003.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Not really, Juve signed plenty of players in that era, doesn't mean they were all the best players in the world. Also Real are the best team in the world probably at the moment, does that mean that their recruitment of Beckham makes him the best in the world?

I see Zidane as possibly in the top 20 players of all time, but a fair way down from Pele etc.

2. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    Can't he have more than one Idol?
    I have already watched many Maradona's interviews which he said that Rivelino is his biggest idol... I didn't read his book, but I heard that from his mouth....

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would add Zidane with those players easily

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I would prefer to judge him a few years after he has retired, when you can really put his career into perspective. At the moment I could not put him in the top tier - he has not been good enough over a sustained length of time or dominant enough over a shorter period to really class with Pele, Maradona, Puskas et al.

5. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    PELÉ said in a recent interview to the Brazilian TV that ZICO came near to his level of playing.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I saw Eusabio play and he was great, I was a fan of his. But don't make brainless comments about England cheating just because your team lost. It was a well played game from both teams.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yikes--and i though i was the old un' on here remembering Cryuff from his actual playing days ;)

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Isn't it funny

how most of the people who consider Zidane on the level of Cruyff and DiStefano are Real Madrid fans?
    I think its too soon to see his career in perspective. People forget that he had a less than memorable World Cup until the final game (he was suspended for part of it, and was invisible against Italy) - I remember watching some of France's games and thinking "what's the big deal?"

Also, my favorite comment about him is by Platini - when Juve asked Platini what they were getting with Zidane, he responded "he will entertain you." Which he certainly has.

I think that in 8 years or so we'll be able to judge Zidane's career, but now is too early.

In my mind, he's still behind Pele, DiStefano, Garrincha, Platini, Cruyff and Maradona, who are the top tier, in no particular order. Maybe Puskas too.

9. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    What? Zidane is almost at the end of his career now, why cant we asses it at this moment in time, whats gonna happen in 8 years, long after he has retired, to change that? Most people who have seen Zidane play on a regular basis would admit he is one of the all time greats. I dont understand what your trying to say. Why is it too early? He has already achieved so much. Its all a matter of opinion anyway when you compare players today to players throughout history.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Never mind sonny, I was in the Kop before Shankly got to Liverpool. An original Red glory seeker.

Cryuff wasn't a bad player, he just got better 'in his mind' as he got older.

11. Fuerza River

Fuerza River New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    CAMPEON DEL MUNDO

I have to argree! Why can't we judge Zidane? He is one of the best players to play. Top 20 for sure maybe top ten. I think Maradona, Pele, and Di Stefano are in a league of their own though. This debate could go on forever.

Where do you think Ronaldo will rank when his career ends? I would think top ten but this one we'll have to wait and see.

12. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i'll say yes.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Because its hard to judge the quality of a player in comparison to past players. We see Zidane now, and marvel at him. That gives him an advantage - DiStefano hasn't scored a goal in years.
    Look at it this way: A Kylie Minogue song was recently voted by the British as the 33rd (approximately) best song of all time. That doesn't necessarily make the British stupid (although it is anecdotal evidence in favor of that hypothesis), but shows that people tend to forget older and better music. When the song is no longer current, no one will vote for it. Same thing with Zidane. Once we can judge them without current passions, we'll get a better understanding.

You must be joking. Ronaldo doesn't even come close. Better than Eusebio? Puskas? Charlton? Beckenbauer? Zico? He'd have to displace them to land in the top ten. He's not even close. I don't think he's even been the most dominating striker in the world over his career.
    Btw, why do we have to wait to decide on Ronaldo, but not Zidane? That makes no sense.

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think that Ronaldo will go down as a better player than Zidane. He has already won 2 WCs (admittedly he didn't play in 94) and Brazil look favourites at the moment for 2006. He was the star of 98 and 02, and has already scored 12 WC goals, just 2 more to equal Muller. Had he not had the fit in 98 Brazil may well have won 3 in a row. He is quite simply a goal machine and when fit has always looked the best player in the world. He is also the only player to pick up 3 World player of the year awards.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    id rank romario ahead of ronaldo
    and robbie baggio in his prime over zidane

16. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    Nicephoras - What a bag of crap. So we have to wait eight years as you say, before we can judge Zidane because we need to get rid of our bias feelings for him that we have now. Is that it? I havent heard such a load of bolloks since I posted last! Basically, Zidane is one of the best in his position in the world today. There is no one that could take his place in the starting line up of any team, he is universally accepted as one of the very MOST talented attacking midfielders in the modern game. The standard of football today is as high, if not higher, than it ever has been, therefore Zidane can safely be said as being one of the greatest players in history, although that list is dubious, and quite long. Why dont you hang around for 8 years and come to the same conclusion!!

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can't mention cups when talking about the best players - it's meaningless. Apart from anything else all of the players people are talking about as having won this cup or that cup played with another 10 players on their teams - are we going to include all them as well?

The name that I haven't heard mentioned yet is Stan Matthews whose playing career spanned 33 years including 84 appearances for England - and this in the days when International matches were a rarity. Not only was he a great player he was never booked although I think even he would have found it a problem to achieve that now.

When he finished playing players like DeStefano, Yashin, Masopust and Schnellinger turned out for his testimonial. His last game in England was in 1965 and came 5 days after his 50th birthday.

There are also quite a few who were great players but because of injury or other problems never became well-known. In England we have had George Best who could do anything with the ball - when he was sober... And what about people like Brian Clough, yes... that one. 222 Games for Middlesborough = 204 goals - that's roughly the same ratio of goals per game as Pele - until his career was cut short by a knee injury at about 26 or 27. Obviously I'm mentioning the ones I'm familiar with from England. Other will have examples from their country.

I also notice there aren't any defenders or keepers in the people you've picked out. What about Bobby Moore? What about Franco Baresi? What about Lev Yashin or Gordon Banks?

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank god I'm not the only old 'un here...

19. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I was beginning to wonder when somebody might mention Best. I'm not old enough to say that I remember him playing in person (although I probably saw him in the NASL), but the video clips I've seen of him are amazing.

Best is also a good example of why World Cups mean nothing to judge the quality of a player. Being from Northern Ireland, of course he wouldn't have had the opportunity to shine in cup finals like players who happen to come from international powerhouses do.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Outside of Britain very few people tend to rate Best as amongst the best few players ever. His problem is a lack of silverware and the fact that he didn't have a chance to play on the highest stage.

Talking of defenders, I would rate Maldini right up amongst Pele etc and Baresi very close behind.

I think it is near impossible to consider Goalies amongst this group. They are a breed apart.

21. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I'd rate Baresi right between the greatest, certainly Maldini will be there when he finishes his career.