Map of D1 soccer programs, and the "Everybody Soccer" GK website

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Thought this map was pretty cool: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6Uju1zu7M_8.kE80Z92s1s3I

Found that map when I was visiting this site that is mainly focused on GKs: http://www.everybodysoccer.com/

This site also includes an interesting article about USYNT GKs, which includes some commentary about how the US national team coaches seem to stick with the GKs that have been part of the Youth National Team program, and thus perhaps do not give enough cred or opportunity to other GKs, including some keepers that have proven their abilities in college play: http://www.everybodysoccer.com/even-the-goalkeepers-like-to/2015/9/21/usynt-goalkeeper-review

The site and its articles are by a guy named Bill Reno. I think Bill also posts to this forum on occasion. Bill -- if you are out there -- or anyone else, what do you know about Bill's soccer background as a player, coach, scout, fan, etc?

CCSoccerFan repped this.
  2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    And all this time I thought Big West was too spread out. It looks like some of the conferences in the Northeast might be more compact, but for the most part they are way bigger.

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I don't want to make this a thread about me but yes I am Bill. I had been working on the map for the last 4 months or so, doing a couple of teams at a time. Like with all the things I do/write on soccer, it's because there wasn't something there so I just decided to make it.

Most of the stuff I write is on goalkeepers because there's so little accurate info out there. So that's why I wrote that most recent post but also the one about Bill Hamid, which was not received positively by all but hey what do you expect.

I've played gk for a while, maxed out at a D2 school, and now I coach it. I'm trying to make the jump into the collegiate game at the moment. I do technically scout players but I don't regularly report to anyone unless people ask about goalies. I also really enjoy pizza.

Anyways, again, don't want to make this a Bill Reno-thread but I am glad you enjoyed the map. Hopefully it can be a useful tool for people. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to DM me.

4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hey Bill - thanks much. Some good stuff on your site, including the neat map of D1 schools. That visualization provides a lot of perspective. Some great, though-provoking articles, and great keeper video clips too, on your Everybody Soccer site.

I enjoy your insights about keepers, and I agree that there isn't a lot out there about keepers.

If you ever make it to a Penn State game, let me know. I'll buy you a pizza for sure! Thanks again and look forward to seeing more of your work.

5. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congrats Bill. The map is terrific! :thumbsup:
    As a remote observer, it gives me a better perspective of the college soccer reality and spread of conferences.

And I am improving my geographical knowledge. :geek:

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Moooooose

Moooooose Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Hi Bill, great map! Also wanted to update you on Texas - there are 3 more D1 schools. Houston Baptist in Houston, the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, And UT Pan American in the Brownsville area.

7. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they not showing up on the map? They should be there. Also I believe UTPA has changed their name to UT Rio Grande.

If there any other errors let me know! I know I've misclicked a few colleges already that Reddit was kind enough to point out to me.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UTPA "merged" with UT Brownsville to become UT RGV -- you are correct. This is the first year for the athletic program at RGV.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I know a bad keeper when I see one, but have trouble picking out the good ones since great positioning and organizing next to impossible for me to see on TV so I don't even try. So thanks for providing some insights. I very much agree with your article on the youth national teams. However, I don't think its unique to keepers. The whole system is built around picking the early maturing players and riding them until the completely break down.

On the Hamid article, you probably have a valid point on some of his technical flaws. But the kid has a great save percentage and a lot of them are of the very difficult variety. He's also very good in the air.