Maor Melikson To Switch Allegiance To Poland

Discussion in 'Israel: National Teams' started by smithfan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to the Polish FA, Melikson has decided to represent the Polish National Team from now on.

2. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Re: Result

but he now changed his mind. he wont play for israel or poland for the time being

3. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Its his choice. I think I would rather see him in an Isreal team. Poland has a few foreign players now and I think its enough. Also, Maor has JUST played for Isreal and very recently declined to represent Poland, saying he is 100% Isreali. Fair enough. I was hoping that's the end of the story. But Isreal failed to qualify for Euro 2012 and now the story has changed. Yet, its his choice. And he has that right (becasue of his mother's birth).

I think the Isreali media should leave him alone. He has been getting death-threats and now got scared and said he needs more time.

Also this issue has touched upone some really difficult unhealed historical issues between the two countries.... very stupid and unnessesary.

5. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally don't begrudge him for switching to Poland. He wasn't cracking the line-up for Israel with Almog Cohen, Lior Refaelov, Bibras Natkho, Beram Kayal and Eran Zahavi clogging the midfield. Even with the eventual retirement of Yossi Benayoun, there are plenty of players who will continue to push him to the bench.

If a player is eligible for citizenship of a country through ancestry, then they have every right to represent that country. I actually think that it is extremely significant when Jews in the diaspora make their national sides (Porokara, Jacobson). This is a huge win for Israel and we should be proud of Maor.

6. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    except, with the form that melikson is in for wisla krakow, he would have to get some playing time for israel. he is dominating for wisla. zahavi and refaelov are good prospects but haven't exactly cemented their spots. if maor is allowed to play like he does for wisla, i think he can give more to the team than the others. im amazed at what he has been doing for wisla (speed, skills) and we should all regret that he is not already cap tied.