Manchester United Vs. Lyon CL [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] Vs. [​IMG]

Live on ESPN2
    Tuesday Nov 23rd 2:30ET

Lyon have already qualified, if we win, we qualify and avoid having to go to Turkey needing a result.

Same team as against Charlton, except Heinze on for Fortune, Gary Neville on for Brown, and Ronaldo on for Fletch.

SAF's 1,000th match in charge of Manchester United.

2. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    I predict a Manchester United victory, 2-1. Lyon is not a bad team, but I don't think they're as good as ManU when they're on. Not to mention even if ManU lost this game for some reason they should win the next. Didn't they completely rape that turkish team last time?

4. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow is very important, we must win at home and secure things. You can't just assume that b/c we won at home, we'll have a walk in the park against the Turkish side. It would make for great TV, but let's take care of business tomorrow

5. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought Fortune played well last game. He's our best attacking fullback, imho. Too bad he can't defend. Still, I hope we see him more often against teams that aren't going to attack us. Heinze is better suited against Lyon, though.

I'd kind of like to see Rooney start this one on the bench. Start Smith, who's more of a threat in the air. Our aerial presence has looked anemic lately.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    If Lyon was at full strength then I think they could take some points. They're missing 2 defenders who would normally start(Abidal and Cacapa) and one of them was their captain. They're also missing Coupet in goal and the guy replacing him is really young and inexperienced and he might get rattled by the hostile Manchester crowd and make a few mistakes. I think if your missing your 2 best defenders and your starting goalie who's France's #1 or 2 then you cant expect to do well on the road against a excellent team. Manchester could score 3 or 4 goals here. Lyon's midfield is in tact however except for one guy out injured who hardly plays.

7. triplelake

triplelake New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I believe we'll see pretty much the same squad against Charlton in this match except G. Neville and Heinze will replace Brown and Fortune. Both Giggs and Fletcher deserves a start as both played well in the last 2 matches. Ronaldo will come in the 2nd half to replace either Giggs and Fletcher. We scored 5 goals in the last 2 games with Fletcher in the squad so it'd be hard for SAF to drop him.

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    ill put the mortgage on a lyon victory in england... Lyon will have goals from Govou and Wiltord and win 2-0... looks like that trip to turkey might mean more than you lot think...
    they are a VERY strong side!

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They are a strong side but their missing 5 players 4 of whom would probably be starters. I would be shocked if Lyon could hold Manchester scoreless. Lyon have conceeded quite a few goals in Champions League so far and that was then they had all their defenders and goalie healthy.

10. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Errp...because we drew 2-2 against them with a side far weaker than the one we'll field now. And because they're less full strength than they were then. And because we're at home this time, and were on the road last time?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Lyon are good enough to get a result if things go right for them. But that's an irrational, troll-like post. At the very least, if you want to be an ass, give some reasoning. Wiltord? Please.

11. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I also think the side that played against Charlton will be essentially the same except for Gary and Heinze. I do want to see Fletcher out there so that Ronaldo can get a little more rest, even If we have to bring him on for some late attacking. I haven't been a huge Fletcher fan but I thought he played really well against Charlton and decently against Newcastle.

12. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    haven,

its just my opinion.. not a "troll-like post".. geezz.. if its anything not pro-manyoo its considered trolling?? please cut n paste my original post when lyon wins, then tell me im trolling...
    cheers

and ya, that wiltord that won the title @old trafford for arsenal~

13. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And Shaun ********ing Goater is a Man Utd killer. He's still a lousy (relatively speaking) player who wouldn't get in our team. Just like Wiltord - who'd be our 5th choice striker (and 6th, were OGS healthy).

It is trolling to propose a silly result, not provide any reasons, especially when you're an Arsenal fan, which renders your out-of-the-ordinary negative opinions about United inherently suspect. If you're going to say we're going to lose a game that we *should* win, please don't be shocked if we're suspicious about your objectivity.

Note that I'm not on your board predicting a loss to PSV.

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Wiltord is probably their 3rd striker. He's 2nd choice now because Giovanne Elber is injured. I would say the depth chart up front probably would go like this:

1.Elber
    2.Frau
    3.Wiltord
    4.Nilmar
    5.Bergougnoux

15. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Play the same team Charlton except replace Fortune with Heinze. Not sure about Ronaldo though!

16. Omar23033

Omar23033 New Member

May 24, 2004
    I say Henize in, KLEB IN, Smith IN, G. NEV IN,

Fortune Out, Fletch Out, Rooney Out, Brown out

Bench still looks good with: Rooney, Ronaldo, Brown, Oshea, Fletch, DJ DJ, Fortune, Belion, Miller

- 3-1 United win, Rudd 14th min, Scholes 47th min, Govou 56th min, and Smith 67th

17. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    My guess is that Heinze and Neville will come back and that Ronaldo will replace Giggs. I get the impression that Alex likes the idea of three CMs - Keane, Scholes and Fletcher - and one winger who can switch wings at will. And when he's on the left then Fletcher or Rooney will use the space out right. Something like this:

.........................RvN
    .....................Rooney>>>>>>>>>>>

Ronaldo>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<Ronaldo
    ..............Scholes.....Fletcher>>>>>>
    .....................Keane

Heinze....Silvestre....Rio......Neville

...................Carroll

Does that make sense?

18. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    I think we made them look good mate. Who's that hugging Peanut head in your avatar?

19. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    I wouldn't touch Kleberson with a barge poll, was that Martin Ferguson's signing?

20. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Kleberson in? What for? He has not shown his defensive or offensve side this season.

I say Fletcher in for CRon. Ronny could use a break and he can always come on as a sub. Basically the exact same side from Charlton, except Fortune. Lyon is dangerous so having a solid back like Heinze, who has plenty of French league experiance, is the best choice.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Lyon will probably play for a draw in this one. Highly possible they'll play very defensive.

22. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Ronaldo should stay benched. Let him have the long break and play in the weekend.

Ruud and Rooney upfront, Smith in the mid, hopefully Rossi on the bench for a late appearance when we lead 4-0 :)

23. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    I'm putting my cards on the table: comfortable win, if a strong side is fielded.
    I don't have an avatar or sig to gamble, but with United in this form (this time I feel we're really in the groove, our Christmas run has started early) I'd readily do so. 3-0 or 3-1.

United were away when we drew against them, and since, they've lost Cacapa and Abidal, and we've got Rio and Rooney. I really don't see them holding back Ruud tonight.

ESPN are showing it live, right? That's my last bet; Supersport are showing 3 others and CFI are showing Liverpool - Monaco.

24. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    which, is your perogative... i certainly dont expect a win.

25. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    neee neee naaaana