Manchester United vs Celtic ~ Toronto, ON, Canada ~ July 16th.

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Kanuck, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Someone burn them vuvuzelas!!!!! arrrgh!

2. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Anybody have the final score and goalscorers?

3. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Manchester United 3-1 Celtic:
    Berbatov, Samaras (pk), Welback &Cleverley.

Ki and Cha came on half way through second half.

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Thanks

5. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Ki Sung-Yong had some good movement and passes but was not found by Fortune for a really good opportunity on goal (at least twice).

Dr. Cha:

[​IMG]

6. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thats some awesome speed by our Chaminator.

7. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    From a Kerrydalestreet poster:

hehehehe....

9. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkoCgQzphsE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkoCgQzphsE[/ame]

10. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seriously!

and..

Is 11 his official number?

11. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Cha number 11?

Time to buy the jersey!!

Hopefully celtic makes it to champsions league.

12. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Fortune... that selfish bastard. Pissed me off.

I'm thankful ESPN showed the game. It was good to see Ki and Cha. What a shame PJS couldn't make it a trifecta... but his rest is well deserved. Ki and Cha didn't play in the first pre season friendly vs MLS side Philadelphia... so I'm wondering if Ki and Cha came on to play for the Korean crowd in Toronto? Not that Philly has no Koreans.

I liked how Ki linked up twice with Cha on midfield passes. It was fun to see. Cha with a nice run back to stop Macheda and his young legs. Had a decent cross that made its way into the middle of the box... but no one really in position to do something with it.

13. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yup... currently he listed as #11... Ki keeping his #18.

14. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think the main reason they didn't play in Philadelphia was mainly due to the fact that Neil Lennon was allowing them both a little extra time to recuperate from the World Cup.

Both players played well when introduced.

Really liked the look of Cha. I think he'll be a lock at right back for the whole season. And Ki's play, both on and off the ball, was good. He's a very intelligent player. Has good movement when not in possession of the ball.

I think this could be a big year for him.

As for the match, thought we did ok although our defense was a shambles at times. The 3-1 scoreline flattered Man Utd. But not too worried about pre-season defeats. We had a great pre-season last year and look where that got us during the season itself. :eek:

15. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    O'Dea :( O'Dear?

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A few years ago, when we played Milan in the knockout rounds of the CL, Darren O'Dea had the match of his life in the San Siro. Milan eventually won in extra time but O'Dea was outstanding. As he was in the first leg as well.

But that was three years ago and he still seems to be living off it.

I'd have him as 5th best CB on the depth chart right now behind Hooiveld, Loovens, Thompson and Rogne.

But... I'm certain Neil Lennon will sign another CB before the season starts in earnest.

17. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I hope he also gets a decent forward as well. I really don't think Fortune and Samaras (who I've heard might be off anyways) are going to cut it.

18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll be disappointed if we don't sign a very good goal scoring CF before the season starts as well as a CB and a LB.

Any news from Ki and how he foresees the new season going?

19. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Talked with him when he landed in Toronto and he said he felt good and enthusiastic. He's also said that he's very happy to have Cha Doo-Ri with him and that the latter has been giving him advice on how to deal with losing games, negative fans, etc. I'm in the middle of trying to negotiate an interview while he's here in North America but it's been difficult as he as an iPad he just got and apparently is having great difficulty with it haha. You can check www.footkorean.net for the interview.

Let me know if you have any specific questions you might want answered. I have to clear them with his PR person first but I can't guarantee the interview will come to fruition. At the moment, I would say 'don't count on it'.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd just like to know how he's settling into football and life in general in Scotland. Is the SPL what he expected it to be...?

What sort of role is he being asked to play in the team? Creative mid? Deep lying mid? Attacking mid?

It's unclear to me at times what position he's being asked to play. Although I think he may link up really well with Shaun Maloney if he can keep his fitness. Shaun is a very intelligent footballer and will probably be more on the same wavelength with Ki rather than say someone like, Scott Brown.

Also, please let him know that the Celtic support still have every faith in him and realise it takes time to settle into Scottish football.

21. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I ask the same question seeing him play for the national team, so I would have to guess that this is a problem that has more to do with him being tactically confused than him struggling to adjust in Celtic's system.

P.S: Looking forward to the interview, Stat :)

22. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks for the comments fraser. Its nice to see it coming from a true Celtic fan vs Korean fans who can sometimes mix in hope and bias in their assessments.

Do you think they will see time on Sun in Seattle?

23. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Park Ju Young of Monaco, Lee Jung Soo from K League, and LYP of Al Hilal? :p

A little more seriously... any thoughts of bringing Keane back permanently? I'm watching the Spurs v San Jose friendly on ESPN right now and they were talking about how Keane was "banished" on loan cause of a bust up with management over playing time. Publicly its being said that if he shuts up and earns his playing time... Spurs is open to keeping him... but the commentators think that if he can look good in pre season... he will be sold. Not sure if Keane would be interested in playing in the SPL permanently for the next season or two... but a thought that came to my mind.

24. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Try to find out if him and Cha are told they will get some minutes in the friendly tomorrow vs Seattle.

25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm sure both will see playing time tomorrow.