Manchester United V Arsenal Carling Cup 1/4 Final [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Father Ted, Nov 30, 2004.

1. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    handbags at 10 paces for both of you.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well, i've certainly got you going now haven't I? Well, I still feel our defense is better than yours but I guess you guys are pretty good (I've never said nethingbut)

as for your stats thing at the end i was using prem stats only, its what was available to me... bear in mind also that we've had 3 games minus our 2 best defenders at the same time and several with at least one missing so that might also be part of it, not that our replacements did not do well.

oh, and about Scholes vs Lampard - who has more trophies? who will always have more trophies? who played in the best midfield known to man? We'll disagree on this one - this may be another debate u don't want to touch with a 10ft pole.

Also, I'd be lying if I said we out performed chelski this season so far... cuz we have not, not in any respect. Its still early though and when all is said and done I think there'll be a few ways in which we've showed our superiority. I'd love to continue the long posts but I've got an early final in the morning (real early... a bloody week early).

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    queue the tumbleweed

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  5. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Well, that's what's crazy here -- you clearly see the referee consult his AR and ask for his view of what happened. As an AR, you definitely are not contradicting the referee in that situation, you're just giving an objective view of the facts and letting the referee decide how to punish. I've had that exact situation as a referee which is memorable b/c an older ref tried to tell me what I "had" to do. Instead I reminded him that it was ultimately my decision and to tell me exactly what he saw (his suggestion -- a yellow for one player, a red for the other, was correct, though, given his statement of what happened).

So, assuming they had the proper conversation (which we couldn't hear), either the AR missed the elbow or more likely the kick, or, in my mind, the ref was too lenient for what Van Persie did.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    go go gildarkevin!! (to the tune of power-rangers)

ok, so we've got a mod. a ref.. a couple students and I know there's a lawyer around here somewhere... all we need are a couple of ex marines and a doctor :)

7. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Maybe we should start mic-ing up the refs again. They tried it once. Took em away again after Tony Adams called on of the refs a cheat, the mic picked it up, and it went out on live tv lol

8. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Actually because it was right at the sideline you could hear some audio of the ref talking to Richardson and Van Persie as he was giving the cards, which was actually pretty good stuff, as he wasn't talking down to them but was explaining what was about to happen and showing some respect for them which, in turn, led to them respecting his decison, I think.

You certainly didn't see or hear much complaining from either player right afterward.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Apparantly Miller was man of the match. Can anyone comment on his performance?

10. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    So will Fergie's unblemished domestic semi final cup record go unblemished?