Manchester United to tour US again

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sch2383, Nov 7, 2003.

1. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I believe i saw a lot of arsenal fans, A LOT of chelski fans, west ham, roma, r.madrid, livpool, and mls fans too. people were there to watch quality soccer.

i dont know why you say man utd tours suck. a considerable amount of other team fans seem to be enjoying it.

2. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't think they will do it for free.

3. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'd have to categorically disagree on this one. Here's why:

1) DC United's has won 4, tied 1 and lost 0 against Premiership teams:
    DC United beat these Premiership teams: Newcastle, Tottenham (in London), Blackburn, Tottenham (in DC)
    DC United has tied this one Premiership team: Leeds
    DC United has NEVER LOST against a Premiership team. So, I doubt DC United would be slaughtered.

I also think that you might be a little surprised by the MLS showing. I think Bayern sure was when they lost to Metros after winning the UEFA Champions League. You can rationalize the results if you like, but please remember that those rationalizations you make for past failures would be assumed to apply to future games as well. So whether you attribute it to disparate motivations, or suprisingly high quality of the MLS teams, there's no real reason to assume that the future pre-season events are going to be that different than past events against MLS teams.

I am a big fan of Sarachan and like the Fire as well. IMHO, I think that would be the best matchup with Manchester United.

2) Having attended some of DC United's friendlies at RFK against Premiership teams, I can attest that many DC United fans gained an affinity for the Premiership team we played, and many have become full blown fans because of it. Now, it never hurts that Tottenham and Blackburn have American keepers ... but then again, so does Manchester United.

I like Manchester United and am excited that they're coming, regardless of whether they play an MLS team, but I would feel a lot better about it if they played an MLS team. Frankly, they beat the world's best teams by 3 or more goals last year, and I think several MLS teams could fare better than that.

-Digital

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Suckiness defined: Teams playing meaningless matches under the banner of bringing the only "quality soccer" in the world to the unwashed masses of soccer Siberia. Millions of dollars spent to support soccer teams that play in other countries, developing players of other countries. Huge press coverage of said meaningless event (even while the local league gets practically none) - with several mentions of how the matches lack tension (yeah! Nothing at stake.) confirming belief of sport as boring. Teams who refuse to play even a SINGLE match against a team of the country that is showering them with money and praise.

Thus, Man U. tours suck.

It's a crass money grab, that even while it takes money from the u.s., thumbs its nose at America, its league and true fans of the sport - who deserve better than this stupid circus.

I'm not saying it won't be successful, or that plenty of people won't go. Some people like the circus.

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    They did not refuse to play an mls team. why would they want to refuse to play against an mls team? cw organized the tour. i too was dissappointed so the only thing you can do is hope they play an mls team this time.

i remember them playing the thai national team i think a few years ago?? in thailand? so they won't have any problems playing with the metros or dc this pre-season tour.

6. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    why would there be more at stake if the played an mls side femfa?

I only really saw the utd games and as far as pre-season games go you couldnt ask for much more.

Part of the tour was to show people real quality players and thats what the people got. If the only complaint you have is that they didnt play an mls side then i would say the tour went pretty well

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's insinuating that Americans could be more "involved" if an American team was playing. It would heighten the sense of something being at stake since MLS is an upstart league and Man Utd is clearly one of the greatest clubs in this history of soccer. A tie, a close loss or an upset would give MLS and American soccer in general a huge burst of pride eventhough ManUtd wouldn't think twice about it.

8. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually, I didn't say that there would be more at stake - though nico's interpretation also makes sense.

I merely think that if you're visiting a country - it's simple courtesy to arrange a match with a host side. And giggs, for heaven's sake, you're splitting hairs here with the Champion's World and Man U. They were the headliners for CW - if they told CW that they wanted and were willing, as a goodwill gesture to play an MLS side - I'm sure it could have been arranged. For heaven's sake, on that tour they picked up their new starting goalie from MLS and yet at the same time their tour spurned the league.

Finally, I'm not a he - though that assumption happens often on these boards.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm just wondering why people think the MLS teams would play hard? They would be in the middle of their season and would be playing to aboid injury in a meaningless game. And if you think Keano will let his team take it easy in preseason prep, you must be high.

10. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    Just to ask does anyone know for a fact if mls teams were asked and maybe declined?

Dont know if its true but i read that utd might play arsenal next summer in their tour.

I just thought one of the reasons an mls side wasnt played could be that this was the first tour and they wanted everything to go as well as possible and give the best show. Maybe that makes no sense but we will atleast know a bit more when utds competition is announced

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think that is a real possibility. I expect alot more bitching from either side after the press confrence.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sincerest apologies :D

13. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    Another thing is that the director of Champions World tours is named Charlie Stillitano. He used to be the GM of the metrostars. When he was fired he had a falling out with MLS management. I remember hearing rumors that the bad blood between him and MLS was a major reason no MLS teams were booked last summer.

Despite what may or may not be personal reasons behind an MLS team not playing ManU, I think an MLS team would be respectable. They would play hard against ManU because of pride, self respect, and the chance to be noticed by some people who could pay them much more than MLS can.

Boby Convey is a prime example. He played hard in succesive winning friendlies against Tottenham. The result? He was hired for a lot of money. (Damn the Brit work permit system.)

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I, too, am sick of soccer that fails to cure cancer and feed the hungry. Red ***tards.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    From manutd.com

Let the bitching begin.

16. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    No complaining from me. Can't wait to get my tickets. :)

17. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    Manchester United return to the USA in 2004 for three pre-season games

Manchester United announced today that the club will return to the United States for three pre-season games next summer. The visit was announced at a press conference at NikeTown in New York by Sir Alex Ferguson and Charles Stillitano, chairman of ChampionsWorld, New Jersey based sports promotions company.

The 2004 ChampionsWorld Series will take Manchester United to Chicago for the first time. The match will take place at Soldier Field, the newly renovated American football stadium beside Lake Michigan. Ferguson will then lead his team back into the New York area for a match at Giants Stadium. Last summer, the Manchester United-Juventus game drew 79,000 fans, the largest soccer crowd for that stadium. The venue for the third game is yet to be confirmed. United will play top class continental European teams, and the Club's opponents will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

David Gill, Manchester United’s chief executive, said: “We are thrilled to be returning to the United States for such significant matches next year. The passion for football and the enthusiasm for Manchester United that greeted us last summer during our visit to the USA was simply overwhelming, and we are keen to experience the American warmth and sports atmosphere once again. And the chance to play three top teams just adds spice to the adventure.”

Charles Stillitano, whose ChampionsWorld company staged eight major matches in the USA last summer including the four games on United's 2003 summer tour, said: “The dynamism and fame of teams such as Manchester United ignite the soccer fans of America. Soccer is a major part of American society nowadays, and big events such as the Manchester United matches provide the fans with lifetime memories and a chance to see the exploits of so many world-famous athletes in person.”

Exact dates for United's 2004 pre-season games will be confirmed in due course, but the games are likely to be held between the end of July and early August.

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=46392

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whine, whine, whine... if you don't want to go, then don't. Really, no one's gonna force you.

19. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Exactly - that's what my first post was about - simply not going. Unlike sheep like you - many of whom mocked Howard, for both his disability and MLS background, until he did the same thing he did for MLS wearing a Man U. shirt. Because that shows true class. I bet Man U. fans check the label for the name brand before they buy anything.

The other posts were just clarifying the reasons why I won't go - since I was asked.

And another above post makes it clear - Man U won't play an MLS team - Charlie still holds a grudge (though everyone who lets him get away with it is partly responsible - and that includes EVERYONE who buys a Man U ticket)CW will make lots of money, the soccer will be meaningless, the lemmings will be out in red-shirted force and if making predictions and interpretations is whining - oh the pain of the guilt! It's killing me! Right.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Typically neither side will play with a great deal of determination in friendlies with nothing at stake. It's not really a question of taking it easy - they'll certainly run around a lot as that's what pre-season is all about - but they won't be going into 50/50 balls with any great determination. Unfortunately, with EPL teams, that's pretty much half the game.

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not much better for grouping all Manchester United fans together. I wanted United to play an MLS team, but it's just not going to happen. If MLS played during the same months as the rest of the known world, it'd be more likely.

More importantly, it's ChampionsWorld who put up the money to bring United here, not the MLS or a friend to MLS.

United's tour is appealing to them because they get top facilities, are in America where they can walk around with not getting mobbed, it's also an English speaking country, AND they get to play Top European competition in preparation for their season. I'm sorry, but playing the Chicago Fire is not the same as playing Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc.

That being said, I still would've liked to see them play an MLS team, and I thought Tim Howard was good enough to start for United before the end of the season - but NOBODY thought he'd start the season as our No. 1 - even if they did think he could handle it.

22. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    I'm upset that ManU won't be playing an MLS team next summer. That said it's not surprising that they aren't. Despite that I'll probably still go see them play. When you get down to it a ManU v. Real Madrid game still features some of the very best players in the world. It's tough for me to pass that up.

23. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they can go play Real Madrid somewhere else. Go to Canada or something. That should make everybody happy.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there something in the MLS Fan Code that says you have to be bitter or what?

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there something specific about the USA that, contrary to the way its done in every single other pre-season tour in the world, you don't play a local team in the country you're touring?

It's rude and insulting. Why the assumption that United's empire will crumble if they lower themselves to playing an American team? Jesus, it's a wonder how they stomach playing in the FA Cup every year against all of those inferior Div. 3 clubs. It must just derail the whole season.

How are we supposed to sell this league as worthwhile when we're treated as not being worth the bother by the outside world?