Manchester United to tour US again

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sch2383, Nov 7, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  2. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    hopefully they play an mls team next year.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    They had better!!!
    That dirty Mexican team certainly did not challenge Man United out in LA. The Galaxy certainly would have putten up a real fight....

MLS must join in the fun!!

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Fire @ Soldier field would be nice.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    As good as it would be for a MLS team, it would be pointless from the stance of United. They are doing this tour to a) make fans, which brings money and b) to prepare for their season. If Manchester United put its A team up against any MLS team, it would be a slaughter. Not only would it fail to make MLS fans, but it could drive people away because they see the disparity between the leagues.

As for them playing the Fire...if Boca and DMB leave this winter (most likely) they would be half of what they are now. And isn't Ralph getting looked at by some Euro clubs?

Now a game against the USMNT would be interesting, which team would Timmy play for?

6. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    It would probably have to be a shorter than this years tour to to european championship in the summer. Maybe they will go to the middle of the country. I remember a Texan writing to rednews saying how soccer was big there and i think more popular than in any state and he was kinda mad that they didnt tour there

Wouldnt be suprised if they played an mls side since alot of people were mad they didnt in the last tour but in terms of playing to get matchfit an mls side wouldnt be top of the list.

7. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    I don't think ManU necessarily slaughters an MLS team. MLS has a pretty good track reccord in friendlies against premiership competition.
    Especially if we're talking about a mid-August friendly. The Mls team will be match fit and ManU won't be. That's yet another factor to attenuate ManU's admittedly much greater talent level.

I guess I'm also selfish and curious to see how an MLS team would match up against arguably the best team in the world. The revenue from a sold out Soldier field, RFK, etc. would also be nice.

I would also be intrigued by a match against the national team, but you get into all kinds of club v. country issues at that point.

8. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I would be really surprised if they played an MLS side but remember that MLS will be in the middle of their season while United would be coming back from vacation.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United makes Premiership teams thier bitch during these summer tours. Aren't they undefeated against EPL teams in friendlies?

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    But since its ChampionsWorld who gets all the money, MLS wouldn't benefit as much as it could. If anything Fire or United would get a small apperance fee, not half the gate.

Now with AEG supposedly working with the Real Tour, I could see them playing MLS teams since any money made on the tour by AEG could go to MLS.

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    who did they play?

12. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Oh ye of little faith!!!

13. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Myself, I hate the idea of a club team playing a National team. It also must be very embarassing if your Country loses to a Club team. Even if it was the red devils.

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? Happens all the time though.

The only thing I hate about another ManU tour is having to listen to all the whining about who they'd play. But this time having to listen to it for freaking 10 months.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Considering the best teams in Europe are better than the best national teams, there's not much shame. The UEFA Champions League from the quarterfinals on is played at a higher level than the World Cup.

16. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Uh, I can't tell. Are you being sarcastic, or are you just, uh, dense? Not that the Galaxy wouldn't have put up a real fight, but I remember the Mexican team put up the best fight of any of the doormats ManU trounced last summer.

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I got this email from the peopel at rednews

I forgot about Euro 2004, but that is a good reason for a short tour. It sucks for those of you out west...

18. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U should play EUROPEAN CLUB teams when they play friendlies here. MLS clubs are not on the same level or even close and they have to play more important regular season games during the time that Man U will do their tour.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, if Real Madrid can play club sides from Hong Kong, ManU can play an MLS side.

Plus a ManU side looking to get a nice little light pre-season run-out against a local side versus an MLS side looking to make waves with their time in the spotlight...

...that kind of changes the dynamic a little, no?

Or is the league good enough to poach goalkeepers from, but not good enough to play against?

ManU can play an MLS side and still respect itself in the morning.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, didn't DC United beat Honduras or El Salvador recently?

21. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not Man United v. MLS All Stars for next years All Star gamne?

22. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    man utd should play against atleast one mls side.

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh, look, they're here again. So much for those "once in a lifetime" ads that heralded their last tour.

I didn't go before, I won't go again. I don't believe the Champions World circus is anything but a show - people should see soccer that counts, like their local MLS teams.

Especially since Man U didn't play any MLS teams - that's just weak and rude. Current MLS teams are undefeated against Euro club teams.

Go Timmy Howard, but otherwise, Man U tours suck - they're just here to get money from gullible glory-hunters.

24. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    they dont get all the money from ticket sales, etc. only a fixed amount before or after the tour. all money goes to champions world and other organizers of the tour.

and i dont think glory-hunters would even bother posting on a site.

25. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh, excuse me - let me make my meaning perfectly clear:

Go Timmy Howard (MLS developed-player) but otherwise, Man U tours suck. They're (ChampionsWorld, that is) only bringing them (Man U) here to get money from gullible glory hunters (who will go to the games - and do sometimes post here).