Manchester United Thread #1

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by lynne, Jul 5, 2010.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Thought I'd start a thread about the actual existing team, since there isn't one.

New news today:
    Rio may start against Newcastle (first game of the season). Old (incorrect?) news was that he was out till November. Tomorrow maybe they'll split the difference and say mid-Sept.

If somone know the preseason schedule? When training starts? When the WC players are returning?

2. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6245745,00.html

Sounds like his progress is going well. I think first game of the season is pushing it.

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry to be picky, but shouldn't this be in the Rio thread, or at least the injury thread?

Or maybe re-title this the injury thread for the 10/11 season if that helps everyone more?

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's the Man United forum... why do we need a Man United thread!?

5. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
  6. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Someplace to put info about Man Utd players/team in the sea of transfer gossip, WC talk and other team's gossip?

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Every player has their own thread Lynne.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    What have you done? :(

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It makes a lot of sense to me. We have these long discussions that involve multiple players in player threads like what Cheech can learn from Owen or how Carrick's form impacts Fletcher and the need for Hargreaves' return. This is a good thread. I really missed our news thread - if you guys notice we've had the same articles posted in 3 or 4 threads for quite a while now. I don't mind this in the least.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to have a News thread; I think that's the type of thing lynne is going for. (Edit: what johno said).

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I will not be back.

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's because people don't bother going back a few pages before posting something. A news thread will not fix that.

News is typically specific to an issue, therefore we 99 out of 100 times already have a thread for said issue/topic.

13. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I wasn't trying to start a revolution! I just want to know info on the team (and not on their finances).

We used to have threads about the preseason -- when it would start, when it did start, the number of days till Rooney is back at practice, what's actually wrong with Rio. Maybe that info is all here somewhere, but it's not obvious where it is.

14. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What she said.

Everything's is convoluted now, hard to keep up without being on the forum 24/7, then everything digresses. :( I don't know how to keep track!:eek:

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand how it's to keep up, and the digression is an issue. But to be honest, nothing really has happened since the end of the season.

The EPL fixture list was released (which got it's own thread) and Smalling/Ceech "officially" joined us. Oh, and Rio bummed his knee at the WC. That's it people. Honestly. It's off-season, in a WC year. Nothing happening.

Just try going back a page or two in forum to find said thread on the fixture list.

16. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think, it used to be that there were three threads in the silly season for United: 1) transfers (obvious), 2) news, and 3) preseason

They were pretty limited in the rubbish that tends to lengthen threads on the internet and basically consisted of 5-10 posts a day about said rumours/news but only about United, less tangents and they were stickied. Of course, there may have just been less posters back then. But then again, posts like mine are just furthering the clogging of information in this thread, and for that I apologize.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm pretty sure I created a few pre-season threads in the past but, to be frank, I cannot be bothered. We can deal with the shite that is next season after the shite that is this world cup.

18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been saying for years that the other teams and player-specific threads were bad ideas. Still, since people insist on having them and all the other specific other threads, I really just don't see the use of a 'general' thread at the same time.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well then stay the fcuk out of the thread!!!

;)

20. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    You know it's a slow day when we're arguing about the logistics of our forum.

Slooooooooooow day...

21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's all have a good laugh at the bestest ever footballer in England's history.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJQaKzYkb0"]YouTube- Emile Heskey Does Step Overs England v Algeria[/ame]

:D

Fabio, what the hell were you thinking?

22. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've answered your own question. I think you need to reexamine your commitment to this forum. :D

23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

"The Forum isn't done with you yet."

24. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There was once a thread on here from the mods at the time (you might have been one) that said they were going to encourage more threads on narrower subjects instead of the big threads that cover every aspect of certain players etc. I can't find it after searching, (thought it was called something like "Times are changing" or "A new approach") but I liked those ideas and I think it's a shame it never caught on.

You definitely were a mod when there was another drive that was trying to stomp out the other teams threads altogether, encouraging us all to post on the main prem board, and to interact with fans from other teams. I remember you being quite keen on that, and myself and others acting a bit arsey about it at the time. I'm still in between on that particular one and it's true that I don't venture outside of the United board very often. During the early part of the World Cup, Achtung asked whichever mod who started the second thread to include links to the World Cup boards which I did and I saw his point. Didn't seem to make much difference (including with myself), and I think we're all comfortable here, perhaps too much at times. I flip-flop on that particular issue.

If it was all down to me (it isn't), I'd certainly go for more smaller threads. They're less daunting for the casual poster/reader or the newbie for a start. They might well bring about fresh discussion points, too. Looking at this thread, Ferdinand's injury has been mentioned. I'd have been fine with it if someone had started a new thread regarding that injury, for example. The way I see it is that if people are uninterested then the thread would soon disappear off the first page anyway and no harm would have been done. Speaking of Rio, a thread that was all about giggling at the way he celebrated goals and got himself on top of the pile in all photos ended up as a generic thread about him for some strange reason. Another example, Chicharito - if anyone wanted to start a thread after his debut to discuss how he played, again I'd be happy with that. I just think narrower-ranged topics work and I like it. A danger with all of that would of course be the possibility of duplicate, or almost duplicate threads but as a mod I personally wouldn't mind merging and/or closing any repeat topics.

If we were to go down the route of any of the above then I'd hope people wouldn't get stick for starting such threads and or have folk asking the OP if the subject was worth starting a thread for as long as it was United-related. I'm guilty of doing those things in the past myself as well as many of the things I've mentioned in this post so far but that would be my ideal.

I'm guilty of perhaps contributing to this problem too by asking people for thread titles and such, but I'm not sure why non-mods don't start many threads these days. I'd like to actively encourage everyone to pull the trigger and go for it even if it's just a renewal of one of the current giant threads. Sometimes, if I or none of the other mods have been on for a while I'll come on here and find you've all been discussing a new title for 2 or 3 pages instead of just starting one up. Everyone's most welcome to start a thread whenever they want and I for one am happy to deal with any closing/stickying/merging of threads afterwards if they need it. So on that score, credit to Lynne for starting this thread.

In brief, I like the feel of a faster moving board with lots of threads that may spark new ideas, discussion points or new ways of looking at things in my mind. With the big, giant threads I think that things can get bogged down and stale at times. That's not the culture of board though and I'm part of making it like that, I suppose.

25. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I agree with this. Hopefully it will help freshen up the board since it has gone a bit stale.