Manchester United News

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
  2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manchester United and Arsenal have been named in the top batch of seeds for next season's Champions League.

The English giants will avoid title holders AC Milan, Juventus, Lazio, Real Madrid, Deportivo La Coruna or Bayern Munich in the competition's group stage.

3. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    The article didn't mention it, but I heard that there will not be a second group stage in next year's CL. Can anyone confirm this? Does this mean that the group winners advance to the quarterfinals, or will there be a round of 16?

4. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was under the impression that their would be a round of sixteen but i don't have a link to confirm it

5. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    My understanding is that there will be a first round of 8 groups of 4. The top two from each group will then go into a knockout competition - last 16 down to the final (home and away ties except final). No second round of mini-leagues.

6. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The group stage will have 32 teams - eight groups of four teams.

The eight group-winners and eight runners-up of the group stage qualify for the second round.

In Round 2 (16 teams), each of the eight runners-up during the group stage will be drawn against a group winner but will not be drawn against the winner from the same group. In this draw, teams from the same national association can meet each other.

Round 2 winners will advance to the QuarterFinals (8 teams).

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give O'Shea the Number 7 shirt.

I'd gladly take less than 10 percent Mr. O'Shea. :D

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official statement on David Beckham sale to Madrid

Manchester United have this evening issued the following statement regarding
    David Beckham:

MANCHESTER UNITED AGREES TRANSFER OF DAVID BECKHAM TO REAL MADRID
    Manchester United today reached agreement for the transfer of David Beckham
    to Real Madrid for a fee of ?35m (approximately £25m).

The deal is expected to be completed in July, conditional upon approval by
    the boards of Manchester United and Real Madrid, and on the provision of
    satisfactory payment guarantees.

David Beckham has agreed personal terms with Real Madrid and expects to sign
    his new contract with the club on completion.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I've known David since he was 11 years of age, and
    it's been a pleasure to see him grow and develop into the player he has
    become. David has been an integral part of all the successes that Manchester
    United have achieved in the last decade. I would like to wish him and his
    family every success in the future, and thank him for his service to the
    club."

Peter Kenyon, chief executive of Manchester United, said: "While we are sad
    to see David go after so many great years at Old Trafford, we believe this
    is a good deal for the club, and we now look forward to building on the
    success of last season's championship title. We wish David all the best in
    his new career in Spain and thank him for his fantastic contribution to the
    team's achievements in the last decade. We have worked closely with David's
    advisors throughout the past few weeks and thank them for their
    co-operation."

Under the terms of the agreement, ?7.5m of the total fee will be paid upon
    completion of the sale, and ?17.5m over the following four years in equal
    instalments. The remaining ?10m is conditional upon Real Madrid's
    performances in the UEFA Champions League. Under the deal, ?1.25m is payable
    in each of the next four seasons conditional on Real Madrid qualifying for
    the Champions League, and a further ?1.25m is payable each season
    conditional on Real Madrid reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions
    League over the same period. All the deferred payments will be backed by
    acceptable guarantees.

Communications Office,
    Manchester United PLC, Tuesday 17 June 2003

9. The Loon

The Loon New Member

May 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Manchester United Newsletter
    -----------------------------
    Thursday, June 19, 2003 09:30

Manchester United's match schedule for 2003/04 is starting to take shape, following the first release of the Premiership fixtures.

The dates are provisional only at this stage - it is anticipated, as usual, that selected United games will be rearranged for live television broadcasts. In the meantime, these are some of the highlights:

First match - United will open the defence of their eighth Premiership title against Bolton at Old Trafford, provisionally on Saturday 16 August.

Potential six-pointers - The Reds will face their closest rivals of recent years, Arsenal, in the months of September (20, home) and March (27, away). Newcastle, who finished third last season, are set to entertain United in the second match of the season on Saturday 23 August. Sir Bobby Robson's men then visit Old Trafford early in the New Year, on 10 January 2004.

Local rivalries - United will play at Manchester City's new ground for the first time on Saturday 15 March 2004. The home match against the Blues is provisionally set for 13 December. Meanwhile North-West arch-rivals Liverpool will provide the opposition at Anfield on Saturday 8 November and Old Trafford on Saturday 24 April - kickstarting United's final four league matches at the end of the season.

Last match - The Reds will close the campaign, hopefully as Premiership Champions again, on 8 May 2004 when Aston Villa will provide the opposition at Villa Park.

Click on this link to see the full, provisional fixture list on ManUtd.com:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=37688&itype=466&icategoryid=120

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Davis Loan Deal

Jimmy Davis is set to sign a season long loan move with Watford.

I saw Jimmy Davis play for the Reserves in March - same night Danny Webber suffered a broken leg unfortunately. Anyways, Jimmy is a bit on the slight side, but he's got great speed and can finish. The loan move should do him wonders. He's still pretty young.

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wes Brown

I saw on SkySports over the weekend that Wes Brown was set to have his operation a month earlier than originally expected. I think he was originally expected back around Christmas, hopefully we'll see him back a bit sooner now.

12. The Loon

The Loon New Member

May 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Manchester United Newsletter - June 24

Tuesday, June 24, 2003 08:00

The so-called close season is anything but quiet for ManUtd.com with the departure of David Beckham, the launch of a new kit, the release of 2003/04 fixtures and the intense speculation about potential new players. Here's a taster of the latest news and features on the official site...

What The Papers Say
    William Gallas has stunned Chelsea by turning down a new contract and revealing he is ready to quit Stamford Bridge. The French centre back, who cost £6.2million from Marseille two years ago, has demanded talks with manager Claudio Ranieri and looks certain to ask for a transfer. Gallas, 25, is fed up with being asked to play at right-back and even left-back and finding himself second choice behind Marcel Desailly and John Terry. Gallas has already been linked with a move to Arsenal, who need a partner for Sol Campbell. Manchester United are also interested and if they join the auction it could push the asking price towards £10m. (Source: Daily Mirror) Click here for the full edition of What The Papers Say:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=37970&itype=466&icategoryid=365

Transfer Speculation: My Mate Says
    Sometimes the best transfer rumours are spread by word-of-mouth. Like this one for example:
    From: Jimmy Hacks, Sent: 22 June 2003 20:13 This week, when I was walking down the street to buy some flowers for my wife, I overheard two people talking about Roy Makaay going to Manchester United in a possible exchange deal including Diego Forlan. As I listened closely to the conversation I then overheard Harry Kewell and Ronaldinho are also going to Manchester United in a £17million deal including Paul Robinson for free and former PSG player Jay Jay Okocha for an undisclosed fee.
    Click here to read more word-of-mouth rumours in My Mate Says:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=38005&itype=466&icategoryid=382

New United Kit
    Manchester United will be back in black for the next two years with a new, all-black away kit. The kit, which is made from a stretch-woven fabric for extra comfort, is black with white piping on collar and cuffs. It features a subtle houndstooth check pattern woven into the black material. The players are keen on the new design: "This strip looks fantastic! It?s going to feel good to be playing in such a strong-looking kit," says defender Rio Ferdinand. The kit will go on sale to fans for the first time on 17 July.
    Click here to preview and pre-order the new kit on ManUtd.com:
    http://shop.manutd.com/

Win VIP Match Tickets
    David Beckham scored another series of stunning goals during his final season with United. But which three goals did the man himself regard as his personal favourites? David revealed his selection to MU.tv before playing his last match for the club, away to Everton. There's a shortlist of six Beckham goals on MU.tv Channel One (free to access) - if you can match his top three in the correct order, you could win two VIP passes to a league match at Old Trafford.
    Click here to watch Beckham's best goals on MU.tv:
    http://videoloungetv.manutd.com/

FanTalk
    "It will be very difficult to accept that Becks is leaving to Real Madrid. But we have to get over it. We all wanted him to stay, but now there's nothing to do, he is leaving, so now let's wait for his replacement to come and hope that his replacement can help United to win the Champions League. And one last thing, I really hope that United and Madrid meet in the Champions League. I want Becks to realise his error on leaving United, when he comes back to Old Trafford with his white uniform, he will feel the pressure and I'm sure United will beat Real Madrid and win the UEFA Champions League next season... come on United!" ~ Alexander Alexeev Click here to read more fan opinions on David's departure:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=37654&itype=466&icategoryid=368

While millions of Manchester United supporters around the world have been celebrating the triumphant end to the 2002/03 Premiership campaign, the club itself has been working hard on a new membership scheme aimed at bringing those fans even closer to the club they love. Under the new scheme, called One United, Reds of all ages will be able to keep up with the action and news from the club, get to know their team better, and enjoy a range of benefits.
    Click here for more details on club membership:
    http://www.manutd.com/supportersunited/supportersunited.sps?itype=471&icustompageid=796

Have you seen the fixtures for 2003/04 yet? Click here to see United's provisional Premiership fixtures:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=37688&itype=466&icategoryid=120

Season Review 2002/03: November
    United's defeat to their arch-rivals Manchester City on 9 November rocked the club to its very foundations. With the benefit of hindsight, losing 3-1 at Maine Road proved to be the catalyst for change at Old Trafford. But at the time it was a bitter pill to swallow. A famously furious dressing room rant from Fergie after the game brought into question the hunger of the squad. The Reds boss didn't speak to the media for an hour after the final whistle...
    Click here to read the full review of November 2002:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=37371&itype=466&icategoryid=430

Bet on Wimbledon with Ladbrokes.com
    United fans who have experienced the nerve-jangling excitement of betting during a live TV match can now do the same with Wimbledon, the world's most famous tennis tournament which started on Monday. Ladbrokes.com is operating what it calls its "betting in running" service which enables you to bet on the final score of each game while a match is in progress. For example, you could bet on the player serving to win the game without dropping a point (server wins to love, to use the correct tennis lingo!) Why not try it? You'll find yourself glued to the TV or Internet, willing every shot to go your way!
    Click here to bet on Wimbledon:
    http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_portal?AFF_ID=1324&action=go_home&LANG=en&STYLE=mu&VIEW=mu&LAYOUT=mufc

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Yahoo! sports:

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More good news!

More good news:

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! I bet those Madrista's are shaking in their boots now!!!

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Sherriff In Town

So, what's the biggest news of the day?

Becks gets DiStefano's old number of 23 for Madrid?

Nope.

Ronaldinho transfer collapses?

Nope.

Sunderland applying for tribunal in order to determine the amount of compensation they are due for Bellion?

Nope.

Of course, it's Motterman being installed as a Moderator for the Manchester United Forum. *boos and hisses from the floor* [​IMG] OK. Anybody else? I thought so.

By the way, I don't intend in any way to make this a big deal. I fully expect things here to stay the same. (except if you don't agree with anything I post 100% - then prepare for [​IMG] )

Hehe... that was fun.

17. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Re: New Sherriff In Town

Hitler, Stalin, Armin Tanzarian...

They've all got nothing on Motterman!

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Motterman is a bigger BSer now. lol. Congrats!

19. The Loon

The Loon New Member

May 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Tuesday, July 01, 2003 17:40

United Sign New Striker
    ManUtd.com is delighted to break the news that Manchester United have confirmed the signing of French striker David Bellion on a four-year deal. Bellion joins United following the expiry of his contract with First Division side Sunderland. Speculation that he would come to Old Trafford has been rife all summer but this is the first official word that David has definitely signed for Manchester United. Please send your reaction to this news to FanTalk@manutd.co.uk and visit ManUtd.com later to see if your message has been published. Bienvenue - welcome - to Manchester, David. Best of luck in your new role.
    Click here to read more about David Bellion on ManUtd.com:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/default.sps?iCategoryID=120&itype=466

MUTV Exclusive: David Beckham Farewell Interview MUTV is to screen a special one-off interview with David Beckham as he bids farewell to the club he has supported all his life. Beckham made a personal request to MUTV bosses for airtime to express his thanks and speak directly to United fans. The exclusive interview will be recorded in Madrid and will be screened first on Wednesday 2 July as a Red Hot News Special at 18:00, and repeated later in the evening at 20:00 and 22:00 BST. MUTV has changed its programme schedule to accommodate Beckham's request. MUTV will be the only UK broadcaster to screen the interview.
    Click here for more information about MUTV:
    http://www.manutd.com/mutv/mutv.sps?itype=730&icustompageid=982

20. The Loon

The Loon New Member

May 2, 2003
    Montreal

btw - you know why he chose 23? He couldn't have the number 7, so he said to himself, "well, 2+3 = 7....."
    to paraphrase Monty (Python that is)... "it's not dead yet!"
    Congrats! Now you can change your nickname from "Motterman" to "Moderman"

what.. no remodeling? how about a nice set of polka-dot curtains?

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New Sheriff In Town

Bah!

Amateurs!

22. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High

Don't think that this means we'll start treating you with any respect...

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New Sherriff In Town

Not at all. Fear will do nicely. :D

24. The Loon

The Loon New Member

May 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Although there is a DJ-DJ thread, I thought I'd post the official announcement here....

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030707/80/e3v1v.html: