Manchester United January '05 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Kavster, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Really? What about Butt? Beckham?

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Are you thinking of Hleb then?

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Same again.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah... Hleb's the guy im thinking of...

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He's not quite a winger, but I agree, he's an excellent talent, and is still quite young.

6. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004

Uhhh...play him in front of Kleberson/D2/P. Nev/Miller?

The biggest weakness and SAF's biggest failures in the transfer market have come at the position of central mid. There is a problem there today. Scholes never was a real central midfielder and he contributes less on defense then he used to (if possible), on top of that he isn't the tailsman he used to be out of the midfield. He just hasn't looked top form this season yet.

Keane is aging, I know its tough to swallow but its the truth. The lack of Scholes' defensive acumen and a lack of a sufficent backup has pushed him hard. He is still an good player, very capable of playing his role on the club. But we see less and less of him going forward due to Scholes' offensive tendencies and his struggling to cover both sides of the field the way he could in his late 20's.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Dyer is the solution, but he would be an upgrade. The lad has undoubted talent, it just need harnessed. If the price is right (perhaps sending Bellion and/or Fletcher in the other direction with a little cash) I think it would be a significant upgrade over what we have now. I never was a big Hargraves fan in the past but his recent performances have been strong. I wouldn't mind him in the center of Man Utd's midfield either. Man Utd. needs a defender who can cover at both ends of the field to complement and eventually replace Keane. Alonso would have been superb, but I'm sure there is someone out there who can fill the role. But no more speculative buys, go for someone proven at a higher level.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What has he done to deserve this? Phil and D2 are DM's... I dont fancy Dyer gettting played ahead of them. Kleberson and Milller have shown flashes and once they find their form they will be adequate back up.

Scholes' effort on defense is just as good as it always has been. Form is form... he will find it soon enough.

True, but with the talent we have around him - we should not need him to be superman.

Proven at a higher level! Dyer is proven? Nah... for my money keep Klebs and Fletcher and Miller and hope one of them turns into what you need... Fletcher, Miller and klebs all try very hard on D despite being attacking midfielders... Keane imo, is the only player we need to replace in midfield just yet (Giggs soon) and he can serve for a year more or so with ample backup which Phil/DjDj are (for now).

8. los galacticos

los galacticos New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Kenya
    If you guys got Casillas you'd be set. I hope you don't though.

9. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just feel like we either have better wing cover here (Rossi, Bellion, Miller) or that we could get someone younger/better and cheaper... I would only consider it if we send say, Bellion over there, or perhaps DjDj plus just a little cash.

A straight player for player swap of Silvestre might not be too bad of an idea either.

11. dru_jones

dru_jones Member

Mar 14, 2004
    can somebody tell me how come man utd weren't in the running for xabi alonso? i find it odd that liverpool got him so easily... i always thought he was one of the most talented central midfielders (and young) in la liga... he may not be in the mold of roy keane, but all we need is a good match for kleb/fletch/miller in the center of midfield not a roy keane clone... we just need a roy keane type mid whenever scholes in playing...

and, i'd let fletcher go on loan for the rest of the season just to see how he performs given regular playing time... same with bellion... they're too good to be just playing in the reserves...

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good points. I still don't see how dyer would be an upgrade. In short, he's been a punk. I'm suprised that Souness hasn't been choking him yet. Maybe seeing Bellamy get that treatment scared him straight for awhile. But give him time, he'll change his tune.

And he would be willing to take a MASSIVE wage cut. IIIRC he's on £50k/week. I'd think about a small cut in those wages if he was available on a free but that's about it.

13. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    If he came on a free they would pay him more coz they dont have to spend on transfer fee

14. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think all the rumours flying around over the possible signing of a new goalkeeper must have some substance to them.

Carlos Kameni of Espanyol, (yes he's already been mentioned in this thread), says that he's turned down the chance to join united in January. I doubt we went in for him and I hate it when players release statements like that as it seems like a very transparent way of trying to raise his own profile or am I just a cynic?

With no news as to whether or not Roy Carroll has signed his latest offer of a new contract, (his current one expires June 2005), it looks a real possibility that United could be moving for a new man to play between the sticks come January.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Van der Sar seems to be the most logical choice, if United still think Timmay is the long term solution.

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aside from central mid & cover for Giggs I am happy with our team (including 'keeper).

Central mid is a 'mare. Our 1st choice of Keane & Scholes are both out-of-form and the second choices just are not upto it yet even though we have loads of them; P Neville, D Fletcher, J'OShea, Kleberson, DjDj.

Now SAF has come round to the idea of picking a settled team, we are going to have a lot of young players who will have their development stagnating. We really should consider sending some out on loan to other prem sides as do Chelsea & Arsenal. Fletcher, Kleberson, DjDj, J'OShea and Bellion, Richardson are not going to develop in the reservers.

For long term Giggs cover we should try and prise Downing away from 'boro.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No idea. It's a complete joke.

18. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
  19. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    He's played quite a bit for Roma recently, he's even made a few Italian national team appearances...as I just found out your article points out.

Why wait till the summer if he's as good as United think he is?

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some of you guys will remember me getting all hyped about Rossi when we signed him... it was because I thought it was this guy... Danielle De Rossi. This kid is sick. Complete package, tackles very ferociously has good vision and good passing, a nack for scoring if given the chance and also quite creative at times.

He does have a mean streak and his sending off vs. Leverkusen was disgusting. We can work on him though. He has a long term contract so he would be a bit expensive but we need world class help in that area of the pitch. He also is not dominant in the air.

Why wait? Winter transfers are usually abit more expensive and we need time to raise the money as well. Also, it will give Roma time to bring up, find, or buy a replacement.

21. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Aside from Johnno's comments, I'd assume that we can wait until he isn't cup-tied... After all, it's not like we're in the hunt for the league title so we don't need him in the league - *unless* Al feels that we're going to have a tough battle to finish fourth or better................................................. ********......................................................

22. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    De Rossi is a good one, I saw him in the Champions legaue and during the Champions world tour. Good passing, extremely strong force in the midfield, goes forward well, etc...Might be a good all around player for years to come. He is worth getting, even if he is cuptied. Might be able to spark our midfield in the EPL.

Maybe Roma would look at a Silvestre swap?

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting suggestion... they are lacking defence this year and the team is unstable because of it. I don't think Fergie would let Silvestre go though.

Sadly O'Shea is proving to be crap in the middle and he won't get a shot at fullback any time soon so it looks as if we will have to hold on to both Silvestre and Wes.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He is EXACTLY the type of player that we require.

25. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    Why? You need players that have a mean streak and try to injure others? That would be the main quality why most teams would not want De Rossi. I think he has been with Totti and Cassano too long and has developed an attitude. Not to mention I doubt he will leave Roma.