Manchester United January '05 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Kavster, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    It's never too early to start thinking about potential signing that could turn a season for any team (let alone Utd)...So who do u think is in(/out)??

2. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Re: January Transfer Thread

I've heard a rumour that Keiron Dyer was being offered by Souey in exchange for P Neville. I read it in the sun (i know not reliable), but it was funny to see that kind of specuilation. I wouldn't mind seeing Dyer at Utd, as long as he left that pissy attitude in Newcastle. I'm pretty sure he'd get more playing time than Phil would have otherwise.

I can't find a link atm, but i'm working on it, so until then, you can completely disregard this post if you wish so :)

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  4. Omar23033

Omar23033 New Member

May 24, 2004

I think Dyer is in love with himself, but Sir Alex should be able to make him shut up and become a team player so giving P. Neville is worth it. I would do the deal

5. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

Well, Sky say we're looking to buy Diego Capel, one of the most promising youngsters in Spanish football (well, maybe 3rd most promising after his Sevilla team-mates). He is left footed and can play attack but if we were to get him it'd definitely be to breed a good LM.
    With Fergie going on and on about how this team is so young and looking to be strong with the youngsters at the helm, why not bring in a young player who could play sub for Giggsy in his last few years before taking the position himself? Right now there's no sub for Giggs: Ronaldo can move to the left, but it creates a void on the right. I say we go for him.

6. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles

P. Neville for Dyer? What has Dyer ever done? He can be a great layer when he wants to be. Sadly I think he decides and its hard for a manager to get him to do so. Robson sure could have used his talents.

The young spainierd sounds good. Anyone who is compared to Reyes is worth a look.

I'd like to see us get a winger or two. Maybe one good starter to compete with and allow good depth for Giggs and CRon. Another maybe to learn and get the occasional start.

If the oppurtunity presents itself a good defensive midfielder as well.

7. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

We need a holding midfielder most. I don't think a dedicated DM is ever necessary in a squad, but we need someone who can make a tackle and stand his ground. Scott Parker, comes to mind, though I don't know if Chelsea would sell to us. Kevin Nolan of Bolton might fit the bill, though Bolton might want too much money...and he's been more attacking lately. Best bet might be a non-EPL player, though Fergie's had poor luck with them of late.

Alright, I admit it - I'm clueless as to who we should buy, just know the position must be filled.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

his name is Mascherano

9. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
  10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fire Ferguson!
    Sell Giggs!
    Sell Scholes!
    Sell Ruud!

:rolleyes:

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You forgot Keane.... and POLAND!!!! ;)

12. Adam_Jonesey

Adam_Jonesey New Member

May 20, 2004
    Salford,Manchester!
  13. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you'd think fergie got his full of french keepers after barthez :)

14. manuniked

manuniked Member

Oct 26, 2004
    New York

This is the way I see it.....
    We're fine with Carrol, Ricardo and Timmy. Tim will be a great#1 for years to come.
    Two positions needed.
    1) Back up winger for when Giggs or Ronaldo are either injured/off form/suspended or need a break. (Robben would've been perfect). Hopefully puts pressure on them to perform too....
    we should look at:
    Stuart Downing
    Shaun Wright Phillips
    Diego Capel (mentioned above but never seen him, sounds right though :)
    Andy Reid (not sure if he's up to standard)
    Damien Duff
    Robinho
    Sneijder
    Castelen
    Schweinsteiger
    Solari

2) Top Quality dominating midfielder. This is less simple than it sounds...
    Either we need to:
    A) Bring one through from the likes of Fletch, Djemba, klebs, P.Nev, Miller, o'shea, smith. This is not looking great right now!!!
    B) Otherwise pluck an promising youngster like Mascherano although he's bound for Real. Is he such a sure thing though????
    C) Buy the best. There are only a few around like Viera, Lampard, Gerrard, Emerson. Davids is too old. Baraja off form for last few months. Alonso might've been good. Would any of these guys really be available though???
    D) Buy what's available...The likes of Hargreaves, Parker, Van Bommel, Lyon's Mickael Essien etc. Are they any better than what we have though????
    Otherwise we should wait for the right players to become available, we've got quality and depth throughout and, the aforementioned apart, can compete with anyone when we gel...

15. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please for the love of all that's holy, united.

DO.

NOT.

SIGN.

FREY.

Thanks for considering my input,
    -Alex

16. manuniked

manuniked Member

Oct 26, 2004
    New York

I am not really looking to ship anybody out in the window. I would not shed any tears if Richardson, Djemba, Fortune, Bellion, Fletcher, Kleberson left in that order. It is more a case of the cover we have for what they bring and the fact that they have yet to convince me HOWEVER I firmly believe that it is entirely possible that they can all develop further and be worth keeping. I leave that to those who develop players and can make that determination. Fortune is not going to change and is fine for what he does ( 2nd back up left back or left wing) but if we need to clear space or make some $$$ to fill the above vacancies it might be worth the sacrifice.

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I strongly believe we need back up wingers, especially for Giggs. My choice would have been Robben if Chelski wouldn't have ROBBed us of him. I would really like to see Downing at United, he's very promising, he makes great runs, crosses the ball with accuracy, scores goals, and most importantly has the fighting spirit of a true Red Devil. I would also like to see Phillips but he'd be benched a lot, and he's the type of player that would lose form if benched, for now I'll just leave it at Downing.

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

a player of Robben's quality does not deserve to be benched
    especially not for the likes of Giggs now
    he has shown nothing of whats been seen from him over the past decade and i think he deserves to be benched

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One timed rumoured target Schwarzer has rejected an initial offered bid to renew his contract at Boro....

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

1. Don't be so quick to discredit Giggs... over the last 6 games or so his form has been consistent and good. Perhaps not brilliant but Robben is yet to play a full game in England. If Robben had come to United be assured he would have been junior to Giggs. It might not have lasted forever, but experience always wins out initially.

Another name to throw out there...

Wayne Routledge... plays well for the under 21's and is a skilled LW. He almost left in August and his contract is up in the summer... perhaps we could snatch him in Jan? The key for me in finding a winger is that the winger be young and either leftsided or versatile. He fits the build. Perhaps by that time we will know what Rossi is capable of... who knows, we may not need a winger.

21. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

What team does he play for
    Routledge

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wes Brown and United have re-opened contract talks.

:D

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Crystal Palace... their best player imo.

24. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Don't care for him, personally. He runs into more blind alleys in a game than Ronaldo will all season (and I think Ronaldo goes into too many) and possesses a fraction of the skill.

He's fast, decent dribbler, and not awful crossing the ball...but his vision is beyond atrocious and his technique average.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gattuso re-signed with Milan. :mad: