Manchester United Goalscorers and Assisters 08/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Ronaldo has had an injury disrupted and 'poor' season which makes his goal return even more remarkable.

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Manchester United Goalscorers and Assisters 08/09

How about 42? ;)

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most players have a tendency to go for power with their strong foot and placement with their weak foot.

Given how good a passer he is, it would make sense that he's able to place a lot of his left-footed shots quite well.

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007

Weaker leagues with shit defenses don't count.

5. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland

Fair enough, but we're talking about THIS season ;)

Funny, Torres managed 21 goals in his best out of seven seasons in la liga, several of which his club were among the best in the league and he managed 33 in his debut premiership season (he'd had 15 the previous year in la liga). Please don't belittle yourself with such arrogance. I think that the top 4 teams in the EPL are a notch above the top few teams in other leagues at the moment (except Barca;) ) but if you think Sunderland are better than Getafe or other such things, you are sorely mistaken.
    The EPL is the strongest league around but it's not that much stronger than la liga at all. You listen to what SKY/FOX has to say too much.
    Oh, and Messi may never have scored against EPL teams but Crownaldo has never managed to score against a Spanish team either, which should be easy considering their terrible defending, right?

6. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005

Yawn.

Let's leave the talking on the pitch for the final. Also, it's not too hard to figure out that Liverpool > Atletico Madrid.

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

They are even better than RM, they would probably knock out Barca as well if they faced them.

8. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland

I'll accept that whoever wins is the best team in Europe (barring some MASSIVE injustice) as it's too close to call as far as I can tell. Liverpool are definitely better than Atletico but Torres did seem to come out of his shell in the EPL. You can probably understand why I get so annoyed about the Premier league 'best league in the world' thing, I'm Irish and it's all anybody hears about here and I assume it's a similar case elsewhere. I prefer to watch La Liga because the football is a lot more skillful and nicer to look at. I can see why people like the frantic pace of the EPL but I guess we'll see soon enough whose got it right for this year. ;) Can't wait . . .

9. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005

You do realize my point right? I'm not talking about Atletico Madrid 2009 but Atletico Madrid 2007 and prior --> THE ONE WITH TORRES.

10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes I know, just trying to stir things up.

For your point, just point at the failed EPL strikers who have been good/great in La Liga from Kanoute to Forlan, from Rossi to Sinama Pongolle.

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007

Torres with his pace and physical attributes was always going to be successful in the premiership. That doesn't justify Forlan, Kanoute and many others finding it ridiculously easy in laliga.

As for the defenses, an average La Liga game has 25% more goals scored than the premiership.

La Liga's 2nd/3rd tier aren't that good anymore; it has been a second successive season of underachievement in the uefa cup for them so stop deluding yourselves on that.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Michael Owen went from being a starter to a bit part player and STILL had his highest goal tally for years playing as a sub in Spain.

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia

I will try to simplistically break down what I view as the difference in PL & La Liga defenses: PL defenses are built around athleticism and great individual players (defensively), and along with one of the midfield tend to be a unit unto themselves, maybe with a distributor in the better sides. The most effective type of forward against these sides tends to be somebody so athletic that they can either run by or overpower all of the defenders, or else the player that can match these guys for pace/power but think a little faster than them - Ruud was a beast, Drogba is a monster, Owen was silly quick, Henry & Torres were/are strong racehorses. This is what makes the likes of Bergkamp, Zola & Scholes so magical to watch also; they are the anomolies in the system due to their leanings towards technical play, slowing the game down at times and use of brains over brawn.

La Liga defenses are rather comprised of about 6-7 members of the team, with the midfield blocking spaces and passing lanes, and slowly tightening up in order to limit the other teams effectiveness. The players these usually comprise of are pacey or footballing FBs, usually one pure defensive CB and another distributor/technical type, and midfielders who play quite similar to how Scholes-Carrick do when paired off for us. In other words there are more players committed to the defense, but they as a whol tend to have less pure defenders and so everybody also plays a role in getting forward and holding possession, by which they keep the opposition off the ball and thus can not be threatened. They tend to do well against pure athletes because they can leave them with no space or supply lines all game, and isolate them very well in terms of running down blidn alleys, etc. However when an athletic striker can exploit the system he can do so relentlessly (Vieri, Hasselbaink, Eto'o) and it can be devastating to watch. The type of defense these these defenses are most regularly beaten by/scored against is the ultra-intelligent player with brilliant technique, such as Raul, Messi, Makaay, etc).

14. smufli

smufli Member

May 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is Messi ultra intelligent?:eek:

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    He's a very, very intelligent player yes, but his speedy footwork and incredible technique are what really put him over the top against those defences. That, and he is one of the best players in the word of course...

16. smufli

smufli Member

May 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think his brain is his "weakest link" in Messi:)

17. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    Sorry, I sort of derailed your thread here. The last thing I'll say is that Messi is a very clever player and he's still young so he'll probably only get better in that regard. His through balls and defense splitting passes are overlooked a bit because his dribbling is so attention grabbing but those coupled with his chipping and other clever finishing styles would make him intelligent in my books;)

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think you may be confusing enthusiasm and decision making with smarts.

Messi has above average vision for a flank player. He's not got vision like say Xavi, Scholes, Pirlo or maybe even someone like Rooney - but he's got the ability to make many of the passes they can, and do it at pace. Fine you may say, that's not really that impressive. What is more impressive about him is that he's deliberate and can identify a weakness and work at it over and over. He makes decisions as how best to attack a defence and he'll got to town in an instant.

That's why he's better than Ronaldo when he's faced with 1 vs 3 or 4 situations. The speed of his mind combined with his dribbling skill puts him on a level that is nigh unplayable at times. Messi sees spaces before they open up and can work 1-2s from virtually any position with the smallest amount of space imaginable available to him.

19. Nebs

Nebs New Member

May 5, 2004
    Croatia
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Dark Savante, planning to have one similar thread for this season?