Manchester United - Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United host Fulham at Old Trafford on Saturday. United won this fixture 3-0 last season on a hat trick by Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I can remember it just like I was there.... hey, I WAS THERE! :p

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice to see a repeat of that scoreline. :)

[ugly american]1-0 games are sooo boring.[/ugly american]

But in all seriousness, the team should be putting more balls into the net. They're getting chances, but finishing has been a bit off the past couple of games.

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham are a surprising sixth in the league, and I'm sure they are not happy about last week's result when they scored two goals in the first seven minutes, then watched Alan Shearer help Newcastle claw their way to a win. Look for the Cottagers (a name that will be more fitting once they're no longer QPR's bitches) to come out full force.

4. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we need to unleash the offense this weekend. I will be watching on PPV...:)

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fergie:

Fergie starts his two match touchline ban on Saturday as well. I think the second match ban will be served in the League Cup match against Leeds.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fergie: (apparently unfazed by the touchline ban)

:D

7. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I'm not sure how crucial it is for the manager to be right next to the pitch....at least for a couple of games. I'm sure the boys will know he's watching anyway.. :D

8. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess in a few hours time we will see whos fault it is if United lose.

They are using mobiles to communicate. I am not sure at the end of the day how much of an affect it will have on the team, given the talent and experience. I believe he can still go to the dressing room, to deliver the hairdryer treatment if needed :D

9. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i saw forlan score.... i saw forlan score...!!! ;) :)

10. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost 3-1.

A bit shocking to give up three goals at OT to Fulham.

From what I can gather, our back 4 was atrocious, particulalry in the center, and the absence of Keane in defensive midfield was costly as well.

We have lost more points at home (5) this season than away (3).

I don't know if we can afford for more than one of the following to be off the pitch:

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes

Don't know why Scholes didn't start today, especially with Keane out.

11. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    A 3-1 loss to Fulham at OT???? What a depressing way to wake up.

What happened?

12. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    he was the only one to score. :(. very poor display from defence today. i wonder why scholes didn't start?

13. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    don't understand why scholes started on the bench. did he have a slight knock? otherwise can't understand it.

every shot by djemba2 seems to go into the 30th row. he needs to take his time a bit.

I was pleased to see Forlan score, thinking perhaps he'd redeemed himself - but that blast wide instead of a relatively simple cross to the penalty spot for a wide open RVN was not good. is he trying too hard to prove himself?

14. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    How was timmy howard's game? Were the goals his fault at all?

15. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    1st goal more silvestre's fault - poor clearance led to a low cross around 6 yards out that wasn't cleared.
    2nd goal looked like defender had near post blocked, and was shielding Howards view I think, but defender got nutmegged.
    3rd goal Howard came off his line but Inamoto made a nice shot into the high corner at the near post. This goal arguable I think in terms of whether Howard could have done better but in general the defense was just not good today. Also third goal came moments after Howard saved a one on one with I think Saha trying to round him in the box.

16. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Football Bloody Hell!

Simply shocking to lose 1-3 at home to Fulham. 0-1 may be. We shouldnt be losing to Fulham, anyway there is a long way to go.

After affects of playing away at far flung Rangers in CL, SAFs arrogance in team slection, SAF banished to the stand or just simply a bloody poor display? Pick your reason for the defeat.

I dont think Ruuds inform at present. We need another top striker, which is no disrespect to Ole (injured) and Forlan.

17. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    From SAF's post match press conference:

Oh well - It never bothers me to lose a non-critical game in October. If we lose a critical game in April, then its time to worry. If you 've watched United play for more than a season, you know that SAF always likes to start strong and then he starts (a) tinkering) and (b) letting players rest. SAF will likely play with this lineup as much as he can between now and the end of February and rightly so. If we lose SCholes, RVN, etc in March, SAF needs to have the plan already in place.

18. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I read somewhere his hernia was acting up.

19. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm sorry again guys. The last time I failed to wake up on a Saturday/Sunday early morning to listen to Man Utd commentary, we lost 1-0 to Southampton. This morning, I slept through the alarm clock again (because I have had 8 hours of sleep total the past 3 nights), and we know what happened.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched this poor display, unfortunetly. The goals were defensive brain farts. No one was on the same page. Forlan's goal was the only good thing he did. RONALDO IS OVER-RATED, he needs work for now. No more starting for him. He was probably having a bad game, but he needs to learn he is not Pele and he cannot take on the whole team. Fulham made a fool out of him time and time again. Crap game, hopefully we can move on and play like we know we can play.

21. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    We're beginning to pay for the failure to sign players during the off-season:

1) we needed another striker and now that RvN is on a lean streak and Solksjaer is injured that need is turning to desperation.

2) we needed an experienced creative midfield player when we lost Beckham and Veron and now there is no guile in midfield, particularly when Scholes is absent (as he was for 70 minutes here).

3) we needed another quality defender. Now O'Shea is making us ask what the hell has happened to him and Rio has other things on his mind (went AWOL in this game) the need is even more obvious.

On this particular match:

1) Alex's team selection was complacent. A team including DjDj, Ronaldo, Forlan and Butt was not sensible.

2) the first goal has been coming all season. The defence plays that ball around their own penalty area far too casually and they paid for it this time. Silvestre should have cleared but tried to make an unnecessary pass just outside the box on the left and gave it straight to a Fulham player. Utd back to being behind by a goal before 5 minutes are up!

3) Ronaldo is flashy but ineffective. He needs to learn that beating a player isn't enough he then needs to do something with the ball. His shooting needs to be less frenetic (one shot from just outside the box went for a throw in)

4) Forlan scored but with every other touch he had, an attack broke down. His judgement is very poor. He's like a bull at a gate and lacks cool. At 1-1 he was played through when the Fulham defence played for offside. He was through on goal, inside the box, no one near him, van der Saar on his line and RvN alongside him also on his own. They should have walked the ball into the net. Forlan blasted the ball first time way into the crowd without even looking up.

5) Central defence was woeful! Silvestre never seemed to recover from his Sunday league mistake that led to the first goal. Ferdinand was nowhere to be found. Fulham might well have scored 6.

6) DjDj and Butt do not have anything like the understanding of Keane and Neville/Butt and provided little cover for central defence.

7) Howard had a terrific game. Can't blame him for any of the goals and he made four or five excellent saves and showed that he's learning fast on crosses and his judgement of when to come out and when to stay back. He was the reason Fulham only scored 3. The one positive from this game.

8) the performance was full of Sunday League errors - including a yellow card for Fortune for not informing the referee he was replacing Silvestre at half time.

For the last 20 years, whenever Utd have been a goal or even two goals down, I've always felt that they were capable of coming back and winning the game. But when Fulham went 2-1 up here, I had no such confidence. Utd are no longer the attacking force they have been for so long. There is no flair or precision in midfield and the attack is far too dependant on RvN. He no longer gets the service he needs - crosses and through balls are being picked off by defenders far too easily - and Solksjaer is being missed enormously.

Alex has to do something very constructive this coming transfer window or he can waive goodbye to his Champions League dreams and maybe the Premiership also. Looking at the bench today - when he needed to do something to get a goal there was nothing he could do (he brought on Bellion :rolleyes: ) There is a woeful lack of depth in defence, midfield and attack :(

22. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to sound reflexive but, yes, games like this remind us that we sold two good, creative midfielders and didn't really sign anyone to replace them NOW.

23. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Well, let me put this to you all. Would you rather have another striker or midfielder (leeping in mind that Skoldjaer will be back in December)? And does Rivaldo look any better? Also, the defensive lapses point to a need....Salgado also seems like a good deal if only to improve the rotation (at the same time lets not forget that Manchester has one of the best defensive, 2nd I think, records in the Premiership). Hey, in some ways I think this loss is good. The team really hasn't looked all that good recently (a couple 1-0 victories) and a definitely wake up call was needed.

24. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    We have good depth in defensive midfield - Keane, Neville, DjDj and Butt.

In defence we're down to 5 players, of those one is a converted midfield (Fortune) and another (O'Shea) hopelessly out of form. If Silvestre's injury in this game keeps him out then we're down to robbing midfield for backups.

If Scholes is out then creativity in midfield is almost non-existent - at best down to Giggs and Ronaldo both of whom are wide players and will certainly not fill a creative central midfield role.

But attack is terrible. We have just TWO quality strikers - RvN and Solksjaer and of course the second of those is out injured.

We are supposedly the richest club in the world, we picked up 60 million dollars for Beckham and Veron in the off-season, we play one man up front and we still don't have a worthwhile striker to bring on if we need a goal.

Here's a typical Utd bench:

Carroll
    O'Shea/Fortune (depending on which is starter)
    DjDj
    Butt
    Fletcher
    Forlan
    Bellion

Have they scored 10 Premiership goals between them? I doubt it.

In this match Alex decided to rest Keane and Scholes and the quality of the play plummetted. He needed a goal and Bellion was all he could bring on. (Motterman, I need an emoticon shaking my head in disbelief :) )

25. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i agree , money should have been spent on a good striker, back up for ruud. i wonder if ole will make an impact even f he starts? any suitable players?