Manchester United - Arsenal [R] [Boot II] - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming up at 11:30pm ET on Fox Sports World.....

The Fan Zone presentation of the United - Arsenal match.

Going down to "The Footie Lounge" and crack a Harp right now... :cool:

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I missed it last night for obvious reasons. :)

3. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    id put 3:2 odds on Arsenal and Chelsea losing 9 points throughout the season

you know its gonna happen

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Max Bretos, what an idiot

Had to come back upstairs to fire off an e-mail to that smug wanker. You should have heard the bollocks he was talking about the United-Arse match. I'm almost convinced that Max Bretos is ZANI! It was that bad. Anyways, here it is:

5. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thank you for pointing out something that I acknowledged in my own post. Redundancy is always greatly appreciated.

:)

Incidentally: Bretos is an ass. He's always disliked United, and it's quite obvious. When we won the title two years ago, he insisted Arsenal were the better team (despite the 5 point gap). He consistently bandwagons certain teams, and fails utterly in his supposed role as a neutral analyst. Why FSW retain him, given his inability to even produce decent commentary, is beyond me.

6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In all probability. A fact I acknowledged in my post. Nine points is a broad gap. But Arsenal will drop the requisite points. The only question is whether United can play well enough to take advantage of it. Let me reiterate: I do not think they can. But it's not nearly as remote as you make it out to be.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A zubov world premiere:

[​IMG]

8. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Dude, please hook me up with the guy who's supplying you with the weed that you obviously smoked before posting. I'll let the fact that you're a MUFC fan let you off the hook for not knowing a thing about our injuries. It wasn't only Sol in '03. You may not recall, but we had to play Luzhny, Cygan and even Stepanov at one point. And at times, the then reserve Kolo. We lost Sol and Keown our starting center halves. We lost Vieira and Silva our starting center mids. We were playing Parlour and Edu in the middle at times. In the Bolton game we lost 3 starters (Lauren, Ljundberg and another player whose name escapes me at the moment). So, don't say, only Sol, like you know. You don't obviously. So, as I said, if you can use the injury excuse and 'how it messes up the chemistry' then the same applies to how we lost the title in '03. We lost the title due to injuries. Man Utd had a good 2nd half of the season but had we not had injuries, you wouldn't have won.

And our not knowing how to beat the 'new' Chelsea? We played them 5 times last season and beat them in the league twice and the FA cup, drew and lost in the CL. That's not dominating a club? If any one has to figure out how to beat the 'new' Chelsea its you guys. You've played them 3 times and lost 2 already and drew the other.

As for getting out of 3 competitions, you guys would have been glad to be in the same competions as long as we have. Over the last 3 seasons you've been in 4 competitions and came away with only 1 title and a cup. You've been knocked out of as much competitions as we have and in some cases earlier than we have.

Pride before a fall? You guys are the poster children for that phrase. Your club has the biggest reputation for arrogance and glory hunters and you go on about our pride? Its hard to type from laughing so hard.

You guys may do it. I conceded that. But this isn't 1996. The clubs and circumstances are much much different. You may catch us but not catch Chelsea. They may take another 3 points off you guys. And the Man Yoo side tha was missing 5 starters, wasn't missing 5 starters last season when you lost to them, were they?

Personally, I think all this 'rivalry' stuff plays into Fergie's hands. He needs it to jump start your season and get your players believing they have a chance. Fair enough. I'd do the same if I was in his shoes.

I've also said a lot will be known after this weekend. I think we can still beat Soton with the injury to Ash that Ruud did, as well as injury to Sol. You guys may have trouble with Pompey. If either club draws or loses, then we'll know the game was a non starter for you guys if its you guys or had a negative effect on us if its us.

9. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Re: Max Bretos, what an idiot

The pain of truth hurts sometimes doesn't it. Props to Max for calling a spade a spade.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The outrage over what daft twats like Bretos are allowed to spew is worse...

11. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona

All I can say is it's nice to see some media who don't always kowtow to ManU's slanted vision of things. Unlike places like soccernet, where the pro-ManU, anti-Arsenal vitriol really does get ridiculous at times. I saw yesterday one of their featured articles was some rambling whine about Wenger by some ManU fan. Nice journalism. But if I was a ManU fan, I wouldn't be Max's biggest fan right now.

Gotta give credit the the FSW regulars, Lissel, St. Louis, and McMahon, who do a very nice job of not tipping their hand as to who their favorites are.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ABU365.com and the whole London Press you mean... :rolleyes:

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I love it. We play our first competitive game under a new coach, a new system, and 5 new players in the starting lineup, and our win gets dismissed as "no big deal". But you beat Arsenal on a dubious penalty and its "well deserved".

Give me an H! Give me a Y! Give me a P! Give me a O! Well, you know how the rest goes.

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Soccernet? Pro-United? Does that include the article with the headline "United aren't good enough"? Or how about the one last year essentially blaming Ruud for the Battle of Old Trafford (and doing a piss poor job of it, I might add)? Or maybe theit best XI from last season which didn't name a single United player? I see at least as many ABU articles on that site as pro-United ones. But if you'd like to be like your manager and only focus on the things you don't like, then go ahead.

As for the FSW folks, Jeremy St. Louis has admitted on several occasions on that program to being a United fan, though he doesn't let the bias directly affect his broadcasts, which is the way it should be.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's one thing to add a wink-wink nudge-nudge every once in awhile for your team, it's quite another to use your position as a platform to outright villify your favourite club's rivals. Bad form indeed. :(

16. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona

Well, if you don't have any players that play well enough, then they don't belong on the best XI from last season. But certainly an issue which reasonable people can disagree on. Actually I'd say soccernet's anti-Arsenal bias is stronger than its pro-ManU bias if that's any consolation. They've had quite a range of very anti-Arsenal articles and after Arsenal's soccernet correspondent noted as much in his column, suddenly he had been dropped.

Both Wenger and SAF can be selective at times in what they see or not see, though I have to say I think Wenger is much better in this regard than early on in his time at Arsenal.

Where were you on the other thread, where I gave you an honest answer about the unbeaten run versus the FA Cup and CL wins, and then I get jumped all over by people who don't want to have a good discussion? If you ask for honest answers and people give them, it'd be good to follow up so it's not just the flamers who have the run of things.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All I did was pose a question there, and while I felt I could intervene as a result, I thought that doing so might make things worse. Nicephoras started out responding to AG's post anyway, not yours. Your initial response was fine, but it was your reponse to nicephoras that prompted the flame war. It's a subtle point of misunderstanding, but it tends to set off emotions on here occasionally.