Manchester confirms Lampard on at MCFC for full season

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan10, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. What a disaster.

So much for Don's $100m Flagship Franchise. At this point, they're looking to be everything I feared they'd be.

Has anyone checked CFG's staff list for a J. Vergara....?

harrylee773 repped this.
  2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    #1227 triplet1, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

"A league statement said: “Frank Lampard is registered as a Manchester City player until the end of the 2014-15 season. The Premier League has sought and received assurances from
    Manchester City that there is no agreement in place between the club or City Football Group with New York City FC relating to the player.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football...city-premier-league-response-new-york-city-fc

Yeah, who would ever have thought otherwise?

[​IMG]

No, really, that background could have been a mistake. A crude photoshop. Why would anyone even think there was an agreement with NYCFC without some indication from Lampard himself?

[​IMG]

Well, ok, but it's not like it was advertised or anything!

[​IMG]

Well . . .

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    And why would anyone doubt MLS on this, eh?

4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #1229 Sounders78, Jan 8, 2015
    But there's an explicit statement from Lampard in The Mirror on September 25, 2014 saying he was contracted to start at the beginning of January with NYCFC but had been loaned to MCFC. Surely he wouldn't have been so utterly wrong on that point, would he? Given all the explicit statements from all the parties involved that Lampard had signed with NYCFC and loaned to MCFC, I just find this entire situation baffling - I'm gobsmacked even ;).

So the Premier League sought and received assurances that there is no agreement with NYCFC. Are they taking their word for it? Has anyone actually read the original contract (assuming it still exists)? Doesn't anyone have a copy of it, I mean MLS did sign it, right?

Deep down I still feel that MLS is being strong-armed by CFG and won't fight back because they've made a deal with the proverbial devil and are now paying the consequences.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #1230 tab5g, Jan 8, 2015
    EPL is fine with there being no contractual agreement outside of what the player has with MCFC. But if he does have a "CFG contract" for 24 months currently, that sure does look like some kind of 3rd party ownership. Maybe it is a "CFG-held option year"?

MLS is fine with their being some type of agreement or understanding.

Still not certain why Lampard couldn't or wouldn't sign some pre-contract with MLS this month for a July "free transfer," if his MCFC contract is indeed set to expire in June.

barroldinho repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This third party thing should prove interesting.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god give it a rest. You don't need to spin every comment made by some official into some positive for MLS.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    This is just ridiculous. Novel approach by the agent.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm just waiting for people who aren't believers in CFG/MCFC/NYCFC to start disappearing...

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Didn't think I was doing that.

Didn't know that analysis wasn't allowed here, or that there was some limit on responding to new news or quotes or updates.

Not sure how pointing out that MLS and CFG are similar in the "entity-holding contract" bit is a positive for MLS, here.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Someone could point out that NYCFC existed (or MLS did) at the time for Villa to sign with and start getting paid in 2014.

Encouraging to read his agent say the player will be in MLS in July.

Interesting that he says an agreement is in place, contrary to what CFG is telling EPL.

MLSFan10 repped this.
  12. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he is coming.

First it was: For sure Frank Lampard is a NY player and will start there January 1.

Then that morphed into Pelligrini saying that maybe Lampard should extend the loan past January 1, which quickly became he would stay till the end of the season.

Just a day after that Pelligrini was saying that maybe Lampard could stay past that, and play another season in Manchester.

Which then turned into, well Lampard never signed with NY and he just has a verbal promise to play there in July!

Something weird is going on here, and Reyna and Kreis are starting to look like buffoons. They need to step up and sy something soon, because Pellegrini and Lampard are playing them.

Either MLS got fooled, And New York too.

Or New York lied.

Or MLS and Man City are in cahoots to subvert contract laws and player movement in England, with a willing Lampard.

Or simply NY and MLS have no balls.

That or already NY and MLS have decided they don't want Lampard, and this is the slow process of saving face and basically cutting him loose.

SUDano, joehooligan0303 and Sounders78 repped this.
  13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Wouldn't it save more face to do it quickly? Why does it have to be a slow process of basically cutting him loose?

Would seem strange at this point if MLS HQ told NYCFC/CFG they could not sign/have Lampard as a DP.

jayd8888 repped this.
  14. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fool me once ...

jayd8888 and tab5g repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Good business, there.

Now they can update their answer to the EPL.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Our long national nightmare is (almost) over.

18. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't understand how this is possible, since NYCFC does not even exist yet ...

Stan Collins, Kejsare, Allez RSL and 6 others repped this.
  19. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    The owners of Red Bull need to contact the City group and get Lampard for their team.. Just repaint the billboards afterwards

20. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    VILLA SIGNED FIRST!

Btw, you're signing for MLS, who last I checked, did exist last summer.

The agent's excuse is yet another lie...unbelievable...

ceezmad, barroldinho and Sounders78 repped this.
  21. PhillyWild

PhillyWild Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe NYCFC fans should pressure their ownership to file a complaint with FIFA about this...oh wait.

barroldinho repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, in this instance I'm pretty sure Greedy shot signed first.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are people really accepting this? It is better to say nothing than to lie further. "didn't exist" wow. That is the best they could come up with?
    Interesting that an organization that didn't exist had a front office, director, head coach...etc. They really need to stoop spinning different stories at this point.

24. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all makes my head hurt. So basically he "pinky swore" to come play for them.

If the agreement was for him to play in July why did we just go through all this? Wouldn't they have just told everyone from the beginning he was signed with Man City and would play for NYCFC in July? Instead they told everyone he signed with NYCFC and was loaned to Man City until Jan. Doesn't add up Don.

Sounders78 repped this.
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lampard himself said he agreed to come in January and until now all parties have been publically calling this a loan to MC.

tab5g repped this.