MANCHESTER CITY vs REAL MADRID | Champions League Quarterfinal 2nd Leg | 17.04.24 | 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Apr 16, 2024.

1. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I love how Gab Marcotti calls out Bernardo Silva for being a salty crybaby. It's also good to see Stevie Nichols to finally admit that Real Madrid just gets the job done to win.

2. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Didn't realise Walker was 33. Can't be much left in the tank

3. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shay Z, temesgen, Ssr9 and 10 others repped this.
  4. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Ha. In the end Haaland accepted the defeat :D

Edit: I must say, I thought it was a brave move putting Nacho on Haaland, instead of Rudiger again. Free'd up Rudiger to read the game and through balls City put through brilliantly. (his mistake aside)

Ssr9, saadomar, Excape Goat and 4 others repped this.
  5. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    I know I was worried about him like everyone else before this match, but I had a feeling he’d be good. I remember so many times he’s stepped up in big moments to cover and performed well.

He’s definitely not what he once was, but Nacho is the perfect 4th CB for this club.

6. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We'd be lucky to find similar Castilla players to take over from Nacjo and Lucas.

S1na, Shay Z, Deep Pal and 4 others repped this.
  7. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I really could care less but I don’t understand what all the whining is about, City is supposed to be the best team on the planet, have all their players available, playing at home which is a fortress, playing against a supposedly inferior Madrid without some starters, just score the goals and win the game, simple no? Unfortunately for them everything isn’t that simplistic.

Shay Z and temesgen repped this.
  8. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Something I want to point out.

There has been a lot of talk about our mentality and commitment, and the way the club’s European pedigree seems to shine through when we’re up on the ropes.

In a way I think it’s very misleading. We were on stuck on 9 CLs for more than a decade. There were absolute stinkers in Europe during that time. Eliminations that weren’t just underachievement but embarrassing to the shirt in terms of effort and commitment.

This never say die attitude in these big ties was not always present and it’s not necessarily intrinsic to the club, even if our history helps facilitate and reinforce it in the right conditions.

Those conditions: I believe this has a lot to do with a collective effort by Carlo, Zidane, and the players throughout the last 10 years. We’ve had great leadership in the dressing room by some mental giants who used that win over and over.

Here is the exciting part: we will think of Wednesday’s triumph as a continuation of a theme but many of the players on the pitch and indeed some of those who stepped up in some of the biggest moments were not a part of the core that won 3 straight.

In other words, the manager and the older players have successfully passed that mentality on down to the younger group. And the club has done a great job adding strong personalities who are amenable to suffering for the team and are receptive to that message and culture.

Hope it continues. Between guys like Vini, Valverde, Bellingham, and Camavinga… I’m optimistic.

S1na, libertao, Shay Z and 16 others repped this.
  9. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For sure, and I also think some credit has to go to Mourinho. He basically helped the team break the curse of the last 16 with 3 semi finals; and also helped us go through a lot of the ’character development’ that has returned to our DNA.

Ramos skying the penalty against Bayern, getting crushed by Dortmund. And that wild Clasico against Barcelona where Pepe got sent off. Those times laid the foundation for the monsters some of the guys later became.

S1na, Shay Z, Glide84 and 11 others repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is so damn excelent. Absolutely love the hell out of this. Smaller players giving big guys shit is one of the greatest games within the game for me.

dooda, hector_br, Ssr9 and 3 others repped this.
  11. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    A small amount of credit needs to go to Jose. The foundation that he laid getting us to the semis two years in a row where it was absolutely barren before was instrumental in changing the mentality of the club and players at the time. I remember the first year with CR and Pellegrini and we got knocked out by Alcocorn in the first round of the CDR and the round of 16 by Lyon. That’s pretty bleak.

Anon., hector_br, arcane and 5 others repped this.
  12. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to give another shoutout to Rudiger.

Two moments he had could have affected his confidence: the failed clearance on the De Bruyne goal and the missed chance in extra time.

Many players would have put their head down and lost confidence. And yet, he’s cold enough to take the last penalty with the semifinals on the line.

He definitely never gave up. Madridismo

S1na, Shay Z, Glide84 and 14 others repped this.
  14. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great post. As others have said Mourinho had a big part to play, and although I’m glad we never continued in that style, I can see how important he was. I would also say the arrival of Cristiano and the captaincy of Ramos have been huge in developing that mentality.

Glide84, Anon., arcane and 3 others repped this.
  15. RMadrid2222

RMadrid2222 Member

Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Feb 1, 2023
    Basically, all the crédit goes to Florentino.
    He comes back in 2009, 5 years later finally gets It right (wins la décima) 10 years later he still at the club, AND we have added another 4 CLs maybe a fith. Easily the greatest president of any Sporting instituton, at least in the moderna era of sports....

Im simplifing everything.... What he has Had to do to get US here Is insane. The greatest RM legend in my opinión.

Shay Z, Digital, arcane and 5 others repped this.
  16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Nir_O repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He gets credit for finally realizing he's not the right man to make football decisions.

Deep Pal, SayWhatIWant and hector_br repped this.
  18. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Yeah. The Mourinho era was the beginning of steering the ship in the right direction.

Like it or not, he did make a lot of positive changes on how the club handled things.

19. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I have watched the penalty shootout about 20 times by now. Anyone else?

Deep Pal, PigBenis, Ify23 and 7 others repped this.
  20. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    One of the best parts is watching Pep celebrating Modric’ miss and then watching them cry after Rudi’s pen. :cry::cry:

Deep Pal, PigBenis, Ify23 and 6 others repped this.
  21. RMadrid2222

RMadrid2222 Member

Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Feb 1, 2023
    Call It whatever you want man.

22. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Florentino is a good businessman. Whatever else people come up with (the boss, the loving and caring old man, etc.) is a product of their imagination. He knows what to do when the cameras are on.

For anyone who has followed Madrid on and off the pitch, it's clear that Florentino, at some point, saw himself as the club's central figure, making decisions that were outside his competence and scope.

He was quick to get rid of people like Carlo and Del Bosque when he deemed it necessary. Cold blood.

He is a great president, probably the best ever, and I hope whoever comes after him does business as well as he does. But I just can't put rich people on a pedestal like many people here do, whether they are players or Board members. It's weird because all this worshipping comes from people who probably repeat the new trendy "Billionaires shouldn't exist" stuff.

23. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is an unpopular opinion on here but Mourinho is a big mixed bag at best in this equation IMO.

Yes, he introduced some steel and pride and resolve into a team and squad that really needed it. The 2012 league title is probably a significant part of the story here. He got us over the Round of 16 curse.

But if Carlo and Zizou established a culture of situational tactical fluidity, trusting the players, and encouraging them to express themselves and believe to the last minute, Mou is ironically a lot more like Pep: it was about his system, his tactics, his attitude, his way or the highway. And he famously did not trust his players in some big moments—to me the blame for the 2012 CL semis exit was more on him than anyone else. He tried to fit square pegs in round holes. And he went to war with his own dressing room and produced an absolute disaster of a final season here.

Agree that Cristiano and Ramos were a big part of the equation.

Shay Z, Zidane05 and madridismo repped this.
  24. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1649 Saeta Rubia, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024

Zidane05 repped this.
  25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Haven't had a chance to post on this, but a few things:
    1. Lucas. Massive cojones. What a legend.
    2. Rudiger had me shitting my pants, but what technique on that penalty. Not many can pull off that side foot to the near corner, and get it with such accuracy. And the bounce off the pitch before it hit the post made it impossible to stop. What a signing.
    3. Rodri sees only one team, the team that made it to the semis. Difference between history and money.
    4. Bayern is going to be a huge test. Don't let their current league form confuse you, Tuchel in a KO set up is a master tactician that can get his team to play a style that will produce consistent results.

S1na, Deep Pal, PigBenis and 6 others repped this.