MANCHESTER CITY vs REAL MADRID | Champions League Quarterfinal 2nd Leg | 17.04.24 | 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I noticed that too, but I saw it slightly different. I did make a comment about Pep's "pep talk". He did not fire up the players. He spent 5 minutes talking... giving instructions. When they left the huddle, they just walked out. He was not pumping up the team. Meanwhile, Carlos said two words. Everyone got excited.... players were jumping up and down. They were fired up and pumped up. The players also had a few minutes to be themselves alone.

S1na, Akramzizou, Deep Pal and 1 other person repped this.
  2. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    #1477 arcane, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Same here. I had a feeling the team could have won it in regulation.

I understand people don't want that deep defending, but then again, no one wants to be nervously biting their nails for 90 mins.

Amazing how the team blanked Grealish and Haaland. They were almost useless in the two games.

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Guardiola said post match that Haaland and KdB asked to come off that they couldn’t continue.

Incredible. Compare to Carva who had to come off because he literally couldn’t stand anymore

MiamiNative0722, Digital, Ssr9 and 9 others repped this.
  4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the coaching staff saw this as an eventual 120 minute game rather than a 90 minute game.

We didn't change anything after the subs, it was the exact same game. You can argue the goal wasn't because of a lack of freshness either, Rüdiger just dropped it. An individual mistake.

The plan always was to compress and then counter, it's just that city managed to adapt well to our counterattacks. Walker stuffed Vini during the second half.

5. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And we have the second leg at the Bernabeu, if I'm correct.

Ssr9 repped this.
  6. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    The team did a good job closing down the top of the box this time. The City players didn’t have time to setup a long shot.

Fuera del Juego, Glide84, xmaje and 4 others repped this.
  7. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What I will say is this: the English pundits are always disrespectful to Real Madrid when the opposition is an EPL team. Whether it's Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea.

But I have to give it to Man City's players, manager and fans. They gave all due respect to Real Madrid. It was a well fought contest. Unlike some previous ties vs EPL opponents, I never felt their camp were saying stupid stuff like "time for revenge" or "we're favorites".

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Tuchel was asked about facing Real Madrid and he said "at this point, who else can it be but Carlo Ancelotti and Real Madrid".

I really feel Carlo is sometimes taken for granted.

9. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A massive congratulations to us all and obviously to this amazing team that we support. Hala Madrid!

I'm still out in the South East of Asia on business, but I didn't sleep well all night due to the anxiety! Woke up early this morning to watch the entire match on TNT Sports (thank god for Express VPN), and what a rollercoaster of emotions. I won't lie, there were parts of the match where I simply had to skip forward by a few minutes to ensure that we were still leading and calm my nerves!

To be honest, when it went to penalties, I was quietly confident that we would win, for several reasons. Firstly, City might have the better squad and be better than us from a physical fitness standpoint, but we have always been the mentally stronger team, and our fortitude is second to none in Europe. Since penalties is at least "a 70% mental battle", we had the advantage over City in that part of game.

A few things I'd like to call out, that have only been subtly touched upon already by other posters:

Rudiger: His leadership style and camaraderie is unmatched in the squad. I know we have other leaders like Carvajal, Nacho, Modric and Bellingham, but Rudiger is just "built differently". It's hard to put into words, perhaps someone else is better placed to quantify his uniqueness, my nerves are still jangling!

Mendy: This guy is a beast in the big matches, against the toughest opponents, on the grandest stages. We need to realise where he adds the most value, and where he simply will have drawbacks to his game. He needs to be renewed, and the rest of the squad seems to really get along with him well.

Injuries: City had a full strength team, and were playing at home. Arguably, we were missing our starting GK, two starting CBs and our starting DM. Add to that the fact that both Alaba and Tchouameni are both great at playing out of the press and progressing with the ball up-field, we had the cards massively stacked against us in our favour.

S1na, Shay Z, MiamiNative0722 and 8 others repped this.
  10. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1485 meringues, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    I know some people didn’t like how deep we sat, but for me this was a tactical work of art from Carlo. The players worked very effectively as a unit and seemed to have a very good idea of where to be, who would close down which players and follow which runs, etc. The chances City created and the goal they scored typically came from individual rather than systemic failures. In general, when we were in our shape, City had the ball and ran the tempo but we were really managing the game.

The main criticism has to be our failure to break their press more often but there’s a reason it’s so difficult. And ironically I think the game probably would not have looked as lopsided in terms of possession and chance creation had we not scored so early.

I’ve said it before, for me Carlo and the squad have had an incredible season. They’ve greatly over performed IMO.

Our best midfielder (hell maybe our best player), who I think normally could’ve helped us break City’s press a lot more effectively, has been basically running on fumes because he’s spent much the season effectively being asked to play two positions at once. Literally 25% of our assumed XI with ACL tears. No starting quality CF in the squad. Youth in key positions. And here we are, in position to seriously compete for the double. It’s absurd!

11. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yup noticed that during the game, Pep is such an odd guy. They also showed Kepa speaking to Lunin giving him instructions (or motivation) which was a cool moment.

S1na, Shay Z and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  12. Airjao

Airjao Member

Real Madrid
    Mar 23, 2014

Lol at Vini after Lucas’ pen. He knows what Lord has under those shorts.

MiamiNative0722 and sneakking repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Digital, Ssr9, yoanaidarov and 2 others repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We played like every other team that played relatively well against them recently, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

Klopp was given praise for his "tactical plan" but he got two draws out of it himself just like Madrid did.

Teams just form two lines and squeeze and decompress against them. It depends on how disciplined you are and what kind of a game it is whether that works or not, the early goal gave us a massive advantage.

Ideally we'd go there and play them out of the field, but when they've got the ball almost the entire evening, that's not going to be the plan. You have to be comfortable with them holding on to the ball.

meringues, Deep Pal and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  15. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another of those "football lost today" spawns that Pep fills his midfield with. Great player though, crazy agility and turns on such a big guy.

We played excellently the first halves of both games. You don't get a shot against City just bunkering, people forget we scored 4 times in this tie and led for the majority of it, while City led for only like 15 min across both legs. We seemed a bit comfortable too in the 2nd half today until they scored even if we played in our box, after they scored though it was all City until ET.

I think we need a bit more depth in attack and midfield, we didn't really have many options on the bench when our front 3 and middle 3 looked gassed other than Modric and Brahim.

S1na, Shay Z, temesgen and 3 others repped this.
  17. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Real Madrid are the only team to knock out Man City over two legs since 2020. And we have done it twice.

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As fast as Vini and Rodrygo are, they were being shoved out of their lane in the second half.

Brahim was more of the same, a player shoved out of the lane when he went off, or tactically fouled when he got away.

City did a lot of things right too. We shouldn't forget we won in penalty kicks.

19. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, Carlo doesn't get credit. But putting in 5 defenders when Man City had all the momentum after the KDB goal was a masterstroke. Often people rave about the tactical genius of Pep, but ignore the subtle but critical changes Carlo makes to pull out the improbable win. Whether its a key sub, or sitting in a deep block, Carlo just gets the job done.

Real Madrid can win pretty and win ugly. But all that matters is that they win. The winning DNA is what makes Real Madrid such an incredible and enamouring club. Carlo is just the right man for the job. He knew that Real Madrid had to be pushed to the limit and suffer to win. Luckily, the players responded wonderfully. Even down to little used players like Lucas V and Nacho stepped up massively today. Respect.

Just to put things in perspective on what just happened: The underdogs (if Real Madrid can ever really be considered that) went against the reigning Treble champions who are at full strength, down several key players, and somehow dug deep to eliminate them. Truly awesome. It will inspire generations of kids in the power of self-belief and hard work.

20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lets not forget something. Real Madrid led Man City for 50 mins in the first leg and 60 mins in the second. That's roughly 60% of the tie that Real Madrid were ahead. The rest of the time, majority Real were level with City.

Despite the "possession domination" by City, they were hardly the superior team where it mattered: getting results and being efficient. EPL fans and bitter anti-madridistas will say Man City were the better team, but they're blind to how Madrid were rarely ever behind in this tie.

Fuera del Juego and xmaje repped this.
  22. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
  23. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  24. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    HALA MADRID! WHAT A win, guys what a win. When i saw Lucas juggling ball so casualy i thought this team just different. GOAT. Amazing win, team did hell of a job

saadomar, Shay Z and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  25. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019