PBP: Manchester City vs Manchester United Sun 2nd Oct 2022

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Sep 30, 2022.

1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I would've started Casemiro and Fred. Both offer more in some key areas and there's already a link between the two. Seeing we were away and who it was is my reason for such a midfield setup.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t agree with the McT including, but I understand it. Personally, I don’t think Mct belongs on a top half PL team. But there’s no denying he’s improved under ETH while Case has struggled a little. I think the upside of Case is so much higher that ETH needs to force him into the team and give him some time to play into form.

Thinking more about this game, it’s not as bad as some of our batterings last season. Less of the goals today were glaring solo mistakes and more so just City buzzing and licking us apart because they’re better. Last season in our beatings I would get pissed at our players because there were obvious mistakes made. Yesterday I was more just saying, damn they’re just way better.

Deadtigers and JayBoy repped this.
  3. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lewisham, S. London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking forward to the Old Trafford return

4. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    IMO the mistakes weren't different, we just looked less goofy. Varane, Martinez, Dalot, Malacia, Ericksen, and McTominay gave away too much space. De Gea was too rooted to his goal and didn't communicate it seemed. The wide forwards didn't track back enough in support. No one took charge or raised spirits. We were afraid of Haaland. We treated Foden and de Bruyne with kid gloves.

IMO we should have dropped Bruno and Ericksen, play a midfield three of Fred, Casemiro and McTominay. Look to shield the defense and starve Haaland of the ball, force him to drop back. Suck the life and energy out the game and then come more to life in the second half, with Ericksen for McTominay or Fred at the half. Once again Martial should have started with Cristiano from the bench.

I think that would have been the smarter approach, but City are very good and always were the odds on to win this one.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the mistakes really weren't. no way anyone should be content with that kind of defending because that won't cut it regardless of what our amibtions are.

it was atrocious. all six goals players were unmarked or goal side. even with numerical advantages for some of them. i genuinely don't get this.

the only spectacular goal came from Antony. it was the same Brentford and Brighton level defending out there yesterday. unacceptable

doubletrouble and Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Work in Progress, citeh just are on another level.