Manchester City FC investing in Miami?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by futbol in Miami, Mar 28, 2012.

1. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While browsing the internet, i came across this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THptTHxlseg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THptTHxlseg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

At first i thought it was a nice gesture for kids, nothing more. But then i wondered....how often does Man City do this? Do they just randomly go around the world donating and investing time and money or is there more behind this we dont know of? Possible interest in owning/expanding in miami for mls or buying the FTL strikers in the future? Or am i looking too much into this?!

Maybe theyre just really charitable fellows. :)

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumors of a Strikers sale are numerous. None of them mentions Man City. That doesn't mean they are not in the mix. Possibly they are hiding their intentions better than some others. Or, this could be one more flight of fantasy. One never knows. Do one.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably saw AS Roma getting into Orlando and decided to follow suit. But if they think it's an in-road to run an MLS team...

Well, if Barça couldn't draw flies for interest, Man City doesn't stand a chance in Hell.

4. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yes, its true!

5. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have just been investing in youth soccer in general. They did the same thing in NYC. I think it is mostly for branding and PR. It would be great to get some of that City money injected into MLS, but I don't really see it happening.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Pipedream.....

7. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have done this in New York, Los Angles and most recently Miami. So yes they would be charitable fellows. Or it could be for the PR or it could be a chance to scout talent in the U.S. as apart of their new youth policy. So yes I would say you are looking into this a little much.

8. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. This is kinda funny now. :D

10. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its still too early to chuckle just yet. Barca Miami was basically a done deal with reports all over the world before that fizzled out. Anyone remember Cleveland? I totally could see Man City demanding to MLS that they be exempt from the cap or something that the board will never go for. I think they are on board with signing a big check (which is what Garber was looking for) but are they actually going to go along with MLS rules and spending regulations? Even after dropping 100M to get in and another 300M+ on a stadium? I don't know, until it is officially announced and the stadium is approved, I am not going to hold my breath.

11. unclesparks

unclesparks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antique repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a funny thread, considering.

13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought of Man City's footprint in Miami, are they going to steal Miami talent from Miami MLS team I. The future? Rivalry related?

Steal talent and take it to Man City's new MLS expansion side in 2015 New York City F.C. (By the way u guys saw the new badge)

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What footprint does MC have in Miami?

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    HGP rules won't allow that. NYCFC's HGPs need to be from 75 miles around their stadium. All other rookies have to be drafted or bought from another club. The last would be the only loophole. They could start a separate lower division club and send talent there and then have NYCFC purchase them. That's a loophole that will likely soon be closed since LA also has a lower division club and could exploit that loophole.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily 75 miles, thats a guide line: read more here http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ademy-demographics-favor-big-market-mls-teams