Manaus - Malaria question

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Heist, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to the Amazon once. I took Malarone daily to protect against Malaria. I didn't get any hallucinations while awake, but the kind of dreams I had were absolutely crazy, exciting, and vivid. Is there anyone who knows what kind of affects Malaria drugs can have on travelers. Given how many teams and players who are going there, are there any real worries that a few players might be affected by some more negative side effects? Are there some more expensive drugs that teams could employ that have lower likelihood of side effects?

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CDC says the drugs of choice are Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine. I have no idea of the costs. I also doubt very much if anyone has ever done tests of performance under the influence. Maybe the players will not take antimalarials and depend on local anti mosquito spraying.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The Qataris have invented giant bug zappers to hover over the stadium to prevent insects from entering the arena and therefore keeping the players and spectators malaria-free.

4. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Doxycycline is a common antibiotic, not particulary expensive, and without psychotic side effects, so far as I am aware (and based on personal experience taking it).

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was used it for my 45 days in jungle a few years back. Didn't have any side effects I am aware of.

6. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    If only the completely harmless DDT wasn't banned all over the world, Malaria would be nearly exterminated.

Regardless, I don't think it will be a big deal as Doxycycline is a standard antibiotic used around the world.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I assumed there were likely some options with smaller chances of side effects. That would have been a strange external force that could have affected the games. Perhaps it still will for some of the fans. :)

8. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
  9. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    The best hovering giant bug zappers that oil money and forced labor can buy!

Wessoman and Master O repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  11. solrac

solrac Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for starting this column. I've been thinking about starting one as well warning people to be extra careful while in Manaus. This city is just down river from Farc controlled lands in Colombia. Maybe somebody who has more time on their hands can write something up so anyone buying tickets who is on bigsoccer gets warned to do some homework.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think farc is really a concern. A host of vaccines seem necessary but is farc, an organization on the ropes right now really going to stage a dramatic kidnapping a 1000 miles into Brazilian territory?

Guinho repped this.
  13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    don't have sex with women who are perspiring excessively.

14. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doxycycline - it is also used to treat rosacea and some patients take dox for months on end with literally no side effects.

15. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can take any of the medications available for malaria prevention with no side effects. However, side effects can manifest themselves in serious ways. Doxy, for example, can lead to excessive burning of the skin after even modest sun exposure (this is a symptom for around 7-20% of Doxy users). Mefloquine can result in night terrors and hallucinations. Suffice it to say, if the medical staff do prescribe medication it will likely be Malarone, as it has the fewest side effects. But it's not as if any of the players will be popping Doxy or Mefloquine for the first time the night before the game in Manaus; they'll have begun their prescribed regimen of medications weeks in advance.

16. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So stick to hummers. Got it.

17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, DDT, big bad DDT as the "settled science" of the mid-20th century. Ironic that it's banning was justified on the grounds it hurt the bald-eagle population, and now we officially sanction chopping 'em up by the bucketful in the service of the glory of wind-turbinery.
    I wonder if the malaria protozoa is showing signs of developed resistance to our medications/defenses....

Anyway, Manaus is certainly a very special place and the USMNT has a rare privilege in being allowed to play there.....

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm going to assume that given the fact that the US plays in tropical conditions all the time for qualifiers, that Soccer House has their shit together on this issue.

This is true. there's a distance greater than the diameter of Uruguay between the city and the Colombian border...and Uruguay is kind of a small country...scary. Here in Chicago I live in fear of nearby rampaging Canadians.

19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that be like the FARC being afraid of nearby rampaging samba dancers? :sneaky:

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    FARC.... Hilarious. " just down river". Cmon now. There is zero connection to spending a few days in manaus with the FARC rebels in neighboring colombia. Classic post... You made my day right there.

Edit: double hilarious post.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look man, you know New Orleans has one of the highest crime rates in the world. In fact it is number 21* in the world for homicides outside of war zones. Living an equal distance up river from New Orleans here in Wisconsin as Manaus is from Colombia, I feel like my life could be in danger at any moment.

*For what it's worth Manaus is #26. Recife is 32.

wixson7 and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't DDT get overused as a common pesticide for agricultural profit rather than a particularly effective anti disease agent?

23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are. Fear the marauding Canadians coming up behind you.

24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    This seems like an appropriate time to sound the Canada caution bell...

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was used heavily for both. In banning one, both were banned.