Managers on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by burud111, Oct 16, 2011.

1. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's on the chopping block once this season is over?

Aron Winter? Don't think so. They seem pretty committed to his long-term plan and Toronto has been playing better.

Tom Soehn? He inserted himself into the role, I could see it happening.

Frank Yallop? I don't see what he offers. His teams have missed the playoffs more often than not. I think it's likely he goes.

Gary Smith? Only reason why is because I thought I read he was having some issues with management or something. Can't remember though.

Hans Backe? Took the team with arguably the most talent and had them struggling on the edge of the playoffs. Surely gone if they don't make it. Probably gone even if they are one and done in the postseason.

Steve Nicol? It seem's the almost-MLS Cup honeymoon is over. I think he needs to go.

Here's my piece on why Nicol should move on if you're interested:
    http://letstalksocc.wordpress.com/

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aron Winter? - Nope, they'll give him another off season to work with.

Tom Soehn? - Already replaced. They signed in Martin Rennie druing the season. He'll take over for Soehn as soon as hes done with the RailHawks.

Frank Yallop? - Smurfs management just signed him to a new 4 year deal, no? If so, I think he'll stay (unfortunately)

Gary Smith? - huh? Wouldn't understand why

Steve Nicol? - Hope he's gone. He and Burns (GM) have destroyed the franchise. They were given a huge budget in the off season to bring in quality players and they failed miserably.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_19098307

4. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, thought that was Montreal but forgot about Marsch. Thanks Jasonma, too.

5. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hans backe?????????????????????

6. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, I'm an idiot, was just looking at the bottom of the standings, I'll add if I can.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he won't have a job Friday morning if they lose Thursday, in my opinion
    at least he shouldn't

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    soehn is only replaced as head coach-- he's still part of the management team around paul barber and until that is remedied, i dont know how much MR will be able to change the team significantly enough to make the caps more competitive

9. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and to be honest Dom Kinnear was on the hot seat earlier in the year, the Dynamo looked like he'd lost them.
    He might be in the off-season if the club bows out early in the first wild card round or Conference semifinal though

10. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Nicol is on the hot seat. In fact I say he's gone.
    Gone before the start of next year, especially if Shalrie Joseph leaves.

Frank Yallop is on the hot seat, especially if he doesn't have SJ winning next year.
    He'll make it to the second or third month of next season.

Gary Smith might leave of his own accord, which would be a shame. He's a good coach. But Steve Guppy seems more then capable of taking over if he goes. We'll know before next season what's happening here.

Aron Winter will stay. Having a full offseason to get the players he really wants to get, work with the current squad, and continued development of the younger players will mean he's here through at least 2 and a half seasons.

Hans Backe is gone if they miss the playoffs. They start off struggling next year, which I'm going to assume they will since they've said they'll have to rebuild the team next year because of the cap, he'll be gone.

Frank Klopas isn't on the hot seat, but I don't know if he'll stay on as coach. I think it will really be up to him what happens.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nah, he replaced 50% of the roster and is potentially one win away from winning the East. He is safe through next year. They will let him complete the rebuild. Now, if we are not competitive at the top of the table next year - we will have a problem after two years of free reign on the roster. He made some roster mistakes this year, but if he gets them rectified for next year; the core of this team is pretty good.

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Frank Yallop isn't going anywhere unfortunately. He just got a fat 4 year contract extension along with his incompetent sidekick John Doyle, our General Manager. Sadly, our owners will be too cheap to buyout their contracts and let them go when they screw it up again so we're stuck with them for the next three miserable years. :mad:

13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...ed-bulls-gm-erik-soler-hans-backe-will-be-new

Hans will, indeed, be Backe:

"Even if New York Red Bulls coach Hans Backe fails to bring the most expensive team in Major League Soccer’s history to the playoffs, he will be back next year, according to team general manager Erik Soler.

“Hans is the head coach of the Red Bulls next season regardless of what happens on Thursday,” said Soler
    "

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Soler barely deserves to keep his job so I don't know why it would be up to him to make that sort of statement. Besides, what else do you expect the club to say days before a season deciding game?

15. That strikes me as the old vote of confidence before someone gets fired. I wouldnt read much into that.

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can't get a good gauge whether he did a good job with the team, or just the overall mediocrity of the league outside the two 3 or 4 teams meant everyone was in the hunt?

I mean it would have been shocking to see Houston fall all the way down to the depths of Vancouver, but to see them right in the middle of the pack shouldn't be much of a surprise.

But yeah given the fact that he's trying to rebuild on the fly, and has managed to avoid a total disaster (plus coupled with his very impressive history) he shouldn't be considered on any hot seat in MLS...

17. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    True. If it were the middle of the season, then yes, it's the proverbial 'kiss of death'; but only two days before the last game of the season is an odd time for that. Otherwise, you give the old, "We'll wait till the end of the season to assess the situation blah, blah, blah...."

Not to mention, there were certainly a lot of excuses given for NY's poor record and possibly missing the playoffs: “Next season will be easier, there is no Gold Cup and the MLS isn’t going to play on FIFA dates. So it’s going to help us.”

Still, yes, it could just be the dreaded vote of confidence. We should be finding out pretty soon.

18. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Nicol. I mean how bad can it get.

19. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The league is what it is. And to be realistic, everyone is pretty tightly bunched together. Seattle and LA certainly were the class over the course of the year, but even the two of them gathered 12 points in their last five games to pull away - else it would have been a complete bunch.

Depending on this week, seeds 3 through 10 might be separated by only 6 points. So while Seattle and LAG may seem to have pulled ahead the rest of the league has been damn competitive and making the playoffs truly is an accomplishment this year. I mean guys who only think top 6-8 should be in - fine but that is a difference of 1-2 points this year. Dynamo did well to get where they are under Dom. The rebuild is still not complete as they don't look as good as they need to - that is next year's task for him to round out the core. He needs to make better acquisitions.