Manager

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Lasse, Dec 14, 2010.

1. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    We need G&S to stop talking all the time; just buy some new players so Grant can at least manage a premier league squad.

Oh and maybe to never think Cole is worth 15 mil so we then cant get remy

2. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I've said pretty much nothing about Grant but I do like managerial continuity, but having said that
    Harry had to go (caught with his hands in the till if I remember rightly.)
    Roeder was a non-decision disguised as a replacement and was a huge mistake. He had to go.
    Pardew was great but, in his in experience he believed his own publicity, spoiled and indulged his stars and dipped his wick where it shouldnt have been dipping. After that he had to go.
    Curbs was steady Eddie and should have been supported not undermined and sacked.
    Zola/Clarke was inexperienced and should never have been appointed, but having been appointed should have been supported. The players loved him and I really believe that he would have come good, and probably still will, just not at West Ham.
    I dont understand Grants career. As far as I understand it he never played professional football. He went from Maccabee Haifa to Chelsea because he was mates with Abramovitch? Is handed a poisoned chalice and Portsmouth and drinks willingly. Learns to lose with dignity then brings that philosophy to West Ham.
    As I said, I honestly dont understand his career and would be happy to be educated by someone who does.
    He has seemingly sapped the spirit of the squad, or if he hads not sapped it has failed to instill any spirit in the squad.
    In other words he has not done his job: catastrophically.
    He needs to go. Yesterday.
    Replacement (If they would come)
    O'neill (Unlikely to work with the Davids surely)
    Sam (kick some arses in the dressing room and the boardroom - he might be the preferred option)
    Hughton ( experienced enough? Tough enough? I dunno).

Anyway thats my twopenneth. But what do I know? I'm just a supporter.

3. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    Just look behind Your shoulder mate, I´m there in the wing on all this You wrote.
    Continuity: damn right, we´re Hammers
    Arry: after wasting the money on Arry´s rejects and most likely doing it with personal gain, out
    Roeder: not even worth a comment, out
    Pards: was on the brink of a nervous breakdown finally, out
    Curbs: Great Escape man but so undervalued as all the noise was on Tevez and Tevezgate. Should´ve stayed AND should finally be credited as the maker of undoubtedly our biggest miracle since 1980 cup final (actually, for me there´s only three of them, ECWC, 1980 Cup and this)
    Zola/Clarke: managed just to keep us up on Fizzy Pop level players, should´ve stayed

On Grant: I have a mate in Portsmouth. His words: Grant´s a decent human being, a true gentleman who knows football thoroughly. Brilliant on strategies, genius on tactics, plans and executes the best training sessions ever - but lacks steam and ability to make players fight for their lives. Seems he´s right and that means: out

We´re coming to these alternatives: either try to play the beautiful game with halfdecent players and relegate or play simply, fight and maybe stay up. This is the choice anyway whoever the manager is. I just can´t see Grant in the picture unless the club takes a longer view, accepts relegation and all that comes with it and builds on from there. If that´s the major plan, Grant might be a perfect choice - but I´m 100% sure it isn´t.

I like Hughton a lot but am not sure at all he has the steam needed now. Big Sam? 100% proof. Curbs then? Anyday, as fast as possible, please!

4. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i.e. Fat Sam.

On the subject of a new manager (not that I necessarily support the idea, I am undecided) we seem to have two routes to choose from. The first is look at the market of available quality managers. Most fans seems to default to this method, probably for reasons of caution and reliability.

The second method, seemingly known only to West Ham, is to look at past players/heroes to step in and steer the club in a West Hamly direction. Current names for this may include Di Canio, Dicks, Mad Dog and Bilic, all of whom have their badges. Personally I would have Bonzo back in a heartbeat. I reckon Moncur may make a good manager one day too, although apparently he is currently the chairman of Grays Athletic.

All this is fantasy thinking though and a bit like the silly season with players. Like most on here I don't know what the answer to our problems is. I just know that Fat Sam is not the long term answer. The best we could hope for is that he helps us survive. Going forward from there would be another spell of disappointment for us.

On the subject of player motivation we have seen this fall well below acceptable standards with just about all our managers in recent years. Grant, Zola, Curbs, Pardew and Roeder all saw the players go out and not care. At some point we have to ask the question 'what else could it be'? Is continually sacking the manager the correct response to this?

On the subject of our squad size I think it isn't too bad. A bigger problem is the quality and motivation of the players that are out there. Each injured player has been replaced with a squad player from that same position, with the exception of Spector who proved to everyone that he has been played out of position for his entire career. But even he now looks to be fading in his newly found form as it was his bad marking that let in Man City's first goal. We need non producing players out and quality in. Simple as that.

5. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Is there anyway we can keep Grant for the cup run and get someone for the season....I mean in the cup we seem to know what were doing and play to our potential....then we just become a completely different team in the league and cant seem to figure out how to win.

6. speedy808

speedy808 Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that Curbs would ever return, but I would take him back, no question.

7. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Di Canio: Not just Claret and Blue glasses but a Claret and Blue straight jacket! Not in a million years. Moody ( if Charismatic) nutter.

Dicks:proved again and again that he cant cut it. No

Mad Dog: Started off brilliantly but his career has died (was it because of a loose mouth) not impossible.

Bilic: Why? Didnt stay long. Has done OK with Croatia but ...Why? No.

Bonzo. Iconic, as West Ham as Bobby Moore. Great player! Great Leader! Dreadful manager. No

Sam. Might be the man for the moment Might surprise us in the future

8. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The majority has spoken on Iain Dale's site:
    http://www.westhamtillidie.com/2010/12/15/78-say-no-to-allardyce/

One of my favourite comments from that site on the Allardyce issue is:

:D:D

9. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  10. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Simply stating the fans choice, being as some of our fans bizarrely think Fat Sam as manager would be a good idea.

Also I would like to think that even the two man democracy would think twice about hiring someone who would have 78% of the home fans booing him.

Just a thought.

11. 79West

79West New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Well one thing that's hard for me to let go is Grant's WC run when he managed Israel in 06. He had ireland, swiss, France (who hit the final) and a couple weaker teams. At the end of the competition he finished tied at second with a weaker team (Israel). Didn't loose one game. If Ireland and France would of tied one he would of topped the group. That was impressive. He helped identify players who became very successful from Israel. Next year Yossi Benayoun came to West Ham, Katan who came to West Ham (damm that guy sucked), and others who went around europe.

I'm not saying the guy is a genius.......but I'd say he's at least the best out there right now. I would of preffered a Felix Magath maybe. Overall I think he's a good manager. Chelsea made to the final of the CL with him. I don't remember Jose doing that :rolleyes:

12. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Bless him!;)

13. blainehammer

blainehammer Member

Oct 12, 2004
    White Rock, Canada
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Where is he now Stomper?

14. winch

winch New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    London England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: katan

he's back at maccabi haifa which is where he started,he's been back since the 2005-2006 season has played 124 times scoring 26 goals

15. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

In his little cotton socks

16. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo

Thought Katan would make it, seemed to have all it takes and expected him to form a great partnership with Yossi. Guess he just didn´t cope the weather.

or football

17. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Maybe he should've worn bigger cotton socks

18. 79West

79West New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    From all the players in Israel, Pardew chose him.......lol. He's good for Maccabi Haifa......not for West Ham. I don't think he did anything for Israel to be honest.

That West Ham team was awesome. Deano with Yossi, Teddy and Harewood.......:D

Back to Grant, the guy is good. I love his stone cold expressions. Never smiles, that's how I would be if I was a manager.

19. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Back on the bottom....

20. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Surely he has to go?

21. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    No alternatives. We´d also make Grant a favor - he´d be free to rejoin Chelsea

22. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Four managers are being touted today as being ready for the sack. Grant, Hodgson, Ancelotti and Houllier.

You wonder if we will end up swapping managers round and each club is waiting for the first to make a move. I have never shouted for Grant to be sacked but I would swap him for Hodgson given the choice. Hodgson is a good manager, a clever man and likes his stylish football. Why he went to Liverpool defeats me. :rolleyes:

23. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    Roy is an arrogant 4-4-2 man and at his best when guiding underdogs and in a club he´s respected right from the start.

From the names been playing with I fancy Curbs the most - given he would come.

But a new name for discussions: Ray Wilkins?

24. shootemhigh

shootemhigh Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    As far as I'm concerned there is way too much emphasis put on the managers and all this moving around is getting stupid. I think there are a number of faults showing here.
    Owners - it's all about money, and it so it should be but this won't change until wages are brought under control. 65,000 pounds a week for a player is just nuts. 150,000 pounds a week is over the top.

Way too much pressure on the bottom 3 to stay up. When the Prem league was reduced to the current 20 teams they should have moved to have only 2 relegated as all the league keeps getting are the usual suspects moving up and down.

Running a team is a going concern and to be treated like a business then England has to change it's ways & rules so that survival is not the difference between going bankrupt or selling the whole team but just a move down to a lower division with all team players intact. In other words, if a team gets relegated then wages should be cut and no transfers from that team to any team in the Premier league should be allowed for at least 1 year. It's the players that keep a team up and if they fail it's them that should be penalised. Having only 2 teams relegated would take a lot of pressure off the managerial staff.

25. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    OK, if not Ray Wilkins, how about Ray Winstone then? Ray Parlor? RAY CHARLES????