Manager on trial: Shin Taeyong edition

Discussion in 'Korea' started by killaorca, Jun 2, 2018.

?

Should we sack him? The prayer to KNT god.

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Wait

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I don't think Stielike has been treated very well by the Korean public. Compare his record to that of Osorio and Stielike's is far better. While Osorio's been at the helm, Mexico drew and lost against Jamaica; lost against Honduras; drew against Panama; and got drubbed by Chile 7-0 in a continental championship. Would Stielike have survived even a 3-0 loss in any tournament or a loss against Panama or Jamaica? Hiddink himself oversaw some very terrible results. But Korea is the sort of team that won't do consistently well between tournaments, because they need to make sure they train extremely hard during that time in order to have any success in these tournaments.

2. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    #152 doraemon, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    That's why it's foolish to rely only on records and numbers without examining them within their context. Stielike had a blank slate to work with and had the luxury of being entrusted with an entire WC cycle and campaign from its start. He was given more time and trust than the vast majority of our managers, much more favorable conditions, and all he really did was to coast against weaker Asian teams.

The issue was that things were clearly getting worse with time, which shouldn't be happening. His third year was the worst and the team was playing like complete crap with no teamwork or vision at all - again, after three years. Once the team started facing tougher opponents in the later rounds of qualifying, they got exposed and looked clueless.

Stielike worked with excellent conditions (for KNT standards, anyway) and somehow managed to make things progressively worse without showing any signs of progress. He really deserves everything he's getting, which in my opinion isn't enough as some delusional people still actively defend him.

aeh1991, the rainmaker, Ice cube and 2 others repped this.
  3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Stielike was already exposed since the 2015 AC finals vs Australia, and was again exposed twice by China and Syria, followed by Iraq and Qatar. Only could bank off wins against Myanmar, Laos, UAE, Canada etc. hell we even struggled to win 2-0 vs Myanmar on the first leg.

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I still believe UliShit was exposed when he decided to go full bore in the third match of the group stages in the 2015 Asian Cup after we had already won the first two matches. That was when the alarm bells were ringing for me that he was a grifter.

Seol Korea repped this.
  5. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think someone posted Sam Allardyce as a semi-joke, but I wouldn't mind him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/com...ant_is_role_of_manager_compared_to_in/ccg0d47

seolseol repped this.
  6. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    seolseol and chook90 repped this.
  7. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I don't know how you can criticise Stielike for Korea's performance in that tournament, as he'd only been there a few months at that point. That's almost no time to improve fitness. And it was reported that many of the first team members were bedridden during their first match with Australia. It was obvious that Australia had prepared their fitness well as their intensity was far superior to that of Korea.

8. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Guys fck it, I'm going to solve this problem.
    I'm going to get my Uefa pro licence, work my way to the top in Europe and become our KNT manager. Just in case I fail, I need about 10 of you to do the same. Who volunteer?

wrecklesssoldier, Marco91 and HwaRang repped this.
  9. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Just make sure you get all the vaccinations needed to prevent STDs since you'll need to suck some major KFA dick.

Testator and Marco91 repped this.
  10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Brah, I'm going to work my way to the Bundesliga, and have the KFA kiss my ass.

wrecklesssoldier repped this.
  11. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Ok I came across this interesting page. It's very recent as well.

http://www.kick-off.co.kr/pub/domes...stNum=33522&pageNum=1&searchType=&searchText=

Apparently there's only one Korean with an UEFA pro licence and his name is
    Oh Dong-Hun. Apparently he's coaching Seoul Eland u18 team.
    3 Koreans with UEFA A licence: Cha Duri, Kim Heeho, Jang Younghoon. We all know who Cha Duri is, Kim Heeho is part of the coaching staff for Shonan (Japan), and Jang Younghoon is with some amateur team.

The interesting statistics:
    Korea has 1 coach with the pro licence, 3 coaches with the A licence, and 3 or more coaches (not too sure about the number) with the B licence.
    In Iceland, it's 13 for pro licence, 196 for A licence, and 639 for B licence.

Apparently, it's hard for Asians to get licence in Europe. Maybe the KFA can help coaches to get these licences and learn football in West Europe...

aeh1991, Seol Korea, Ice cube and 3 others repped this.
  12. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Go get yourself a real degree in fitness and then come back. Australia's fitness wasn't even great nor was it that much better than ours, Franjic, Davidson, Spiranovic, Jedinak, Kruse were already exhausted coming in to the finals, Franjic especially wasn't even supposed to start against us.

Also, how can you not blame Stielike? 1. He ran up our players far more than he should've since the tournament began, as a result we were becoming more exhausted as we progressed through to the finals, not to mention going extra time with Uzbekistan. Let's not forget about Stielike's butt buddy Carlos who literally served no purpose as the fitness coach let alone did absolutely nothing to improve our players fitness. 2. Tactical errors on making poor substitutions far too late especially when we were already down 1-0 in the first half.

Hodori repped this.
  13. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I have to question your perceptions.

The fitness of the Korean squad was so so poor before Stielike took over, and of course it improved, otherwise they could not have conceded zero goals until the last round of the World Cup qualifying. There isn't any team in the world that can do this even in AFC without getting up to an adequate standard.

If you watch how poorly Son played after the first 25 minutes of the Mexico match, you can see that his fitness has declined drastically. On the first goal, he got dispossessed after he failed to pass the ball, then he failed to control a ball that was cleared towards him, thus losing possession again. A few minutes later, Kim Min Woo played an inch-perfect ball to him, and his first touch failed him when he would otherwise have had a golden opportunity to score. A few moments later, while Korea has possession in Mexico's half, Son is standing well offside for about 10 seconds and not even trying to get himself in an onside position. He was basically ball-watching after the first 25 minutes except for occasional touches and shots that were blocked easily until he scored a goal under little pressure. Son and Ki have been two of the biggest problems due to their lack of work rate, and of course no manager can overcome such big problems when these players are considered important players. Neither of these guys could have started for Hiddink in their state of conditioning.

14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Blaming fitness as usual, perhaps you should question your own perceptions footballchic. You've been blaming fitness ever since you started roaming BSK roughly 10 years ago.

toohyper and Hodori repped this.
  15. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Sinisa Mihajilovic about to get sacked from Sporting Cp, get him now!

killaorca and chook90 repped this.
  16. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    You are the one making the same unwarranted and uninformed criticisms about the manager and refuse to let facts get in the way.

You're blaming a manager for his team's failure to win in regulation time in a semifinal of a major tournament when the fact is that this national side failed to even make the final so many times before? You're blaming this manager when he'd only been in his job for a few months?

Well Song Jong-gook said that it has been a problem in the last two World Cups that the players cannot play properly after 70 minutes due to lack of fitness. I really have to wonder what you saw in that match if you didn't notice how quickly the Korean players tired compared to the Australians. There was only going to be one winner in all probability. Did you actually think the Koreans would win that match?

I don't think Korea needs a manager. They need a magician to please deluded fools like you.

17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    15 years or so. Went from footballchic ---> sebcoe ---> Rob Brighton.

I'm sure I'm missing another alias in between that. Say what you want about the_hyphen, but at least kthecore had the decency to make only 1 alias after he got red-carded and whine about never coming back to BSK. sebcoe is something else I tell ya

18. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Systemic problems require good analysis to fix while changing a manager or officials is relatively easy. The latter also serves special interests that don't serve the interests of improving the system. This seems to be the reason why the latter has been preferred in Korea. Park Ji-sung pointed out that it is a poor solution to only base decisions on results rather than taking a look at the hidden deeper problems. One day the wiser observers will appreciate what Stielike did whlle managing the Korean team while feeling disappointed that once again the great potential of the Korean team couldn't be realised due to the same systemic problems. If Korea can't succeed with a manager who led German U-19, U-20, and U-21 sides during the time Germany produced its golden generation, then it is hard to see how they can succeed with someone else all things being equal. The fact is that the only time Korea made it past the first knockout round is when they suspended their league. If this is what it takes, it will probably never happen again.

19. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    The most hilarious thing is how so many of you were pining for Sampaoli only last year. It has been reported that Mascherano and Messi have led a revolt against this manager due to his ineptness. Some of you were pining for DeBoer not too long ago.

Do you actually think a manager that cannot win the respect of Messi and help Argentina to perform at their average level could make Korea world-beaters?

20. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I recommended him a few posts ago. How is he as a coach?

21. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    #171 Marco91, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    well it's not a perfect coach by any means, but he has some positive things about him such as

1) he's a real leader, a man who don't look for excuses...take responsibility for his mistakes, an alpha not a beta like STY or SHITLIKE

2) Work well with young talents and he's not afraid of giving them their chances (provided they are talented enough of course)

3) His team are rather organized and he doesn't ******** around with 348 tricks and experiment

But also some negatives.

1) His team rely on physical condition

2) unable to give his team a pleasant style of play in the long run, his teams are not really beautiful to watch playing

I think the next KNT manager needs to be a true leader, so i'm willing to take Sinisa no matter his negatives.

killaorca, chook90 and Chucky2202 repped this.
  22. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I like him now.

23. secondary

secondary Member

Jun 9, 2014
    IMO, he's not wrong here.

24. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    #174 Rob_Brighton, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Yes, he was "exposed" in his first tournament three months after taking charge. Although Korean fans thought they hired a Saviour, he failed to live up to the billing we gave him. He couldn't even dress properly, so of course he was never going to be as charismatic as Dutch Oh Dae-young.

25. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I cant believe yall are still responding to rob brighton / footballchic or whatever he is i ignored that guy yeeeaaarrsss ago and it's great

Seol Korea, Hodori and killaorca repped this.