Man. Utd vs. Fulham: Howard's performance?[R]

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by truthandlife, Oct 25, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I heard that Man Utd. got out-classed at home with some very shaky defense. I heard Fulham should have won by more goals. How did Howard perform? 3 goals is not too good but how many saves did he make?

Why was Scholes on the bench and why did Keane rest today?

2. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    you bumped it after 30 minutes? patience my friend...

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were all his fault, 25 yard lobs over his head. He'll be in the reserves for the rest of the season :rolleyes:

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How about asking in the Manchester United or Yanks Abroad forum, eh?

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what i heard on the Radio, if it weren't for Howard, the red filth would have lost by a lot more.

They were totally outclassed by Fulham (as odd as that sounds)

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that's about it right there

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Only two of them were 25 yard lobs. The third one, which killed off the game, occurred on a goalkick when Howard whiffed, then, trying to regain his balance, backheeled the ball into the net as he stumbled before falling on his a$$. I'm sure all the soccer-bashers in the US will have a field day on that one.

9. melwood

melwood New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    I guess it's just one of those nights. Maybe Fulham wanted to win more than Man U.

I wouldn't blame Howard. He has been great so far and I think he is the right replacement for Barthez. He's got the right attitude for every game.

Man U will just rub this lost off their shoulder and get on with the race.

Taking nothing away from Fulham, they deserve to win. They fought hard and won.

10. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Does anyone else think man utd only bought Howard just so they could tap into the lucrative american market. I mean, american fans are gonna be more inclined to by into the man utd bandwagon with one of there own playin for them. A good reliable keeper, no better than what they already had, but he seems capable.

11. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I'm sure there is some truth to that. I'm obviously going to biased, but I think Howard can develope into a better keeper than Barthez at his peak. We'll have to see how it turns out

Another team was beaten 3-1 this weekend...oddly enough by one that is further down the rankings than Fulham.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    :rolleyes:

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, Howard is anything but "the token Yank" at Manchester United.

Other clubs have signed players from other countries to establish a commercial presence abroad (Everton with Chinese players springs to mind), but not United with a goalkeeper. Far too important a position to play around with what could be a cheesy gimmick.

I think that in the offseason, if Sir Alex Ferguson felt that he could make a move to improve his defence, and do so at a good cost, and he's been able to achieve it with Howard.

Likewise, I think the game against Fulham was just one of those abherrations. An off game, certainly, and the defenders in front of Howard didn't do him any favours, either. Still, wouldn't blame Howard for any of the goals.

14. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the "Take The Money and Run Tour" was for this summer in the States.

15. nerevfan

nerevfan New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Seattle
    The last couple of matches man-u did not look to be up too snuff with there playing abilities

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are too kind, bluedaddy19.

double :rolleyes:

While I'm as quick to make fun of Merchandise United and their fans at the Old Trafford Shopping Centre, the last thing the company would do would be to make personnel decisions on the basis of market research.

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand certain people being cynical, I myself can certainly see United taking a 3 mil chance on a young American keeper for some commercially tinted reasons.

However; Sir Alex Ferguson is not going to play Tim Howard in goal (especially in games against Arsenal, Rangers, etc.) unless he feels that Tim can do the job. I can't see anybody seriously arguing otherwise.

And I can tell you that the hope of our supporters is not that Howard can replace Barthez, but that he can replace Schmeichel.

18. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ferguson's comments after United's shock 1-3 defeat yesterday:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "We made a terrible start, and Fulham fully deserved to win the match. There was just a lethargy about the team, and it could have been six - our goalkeeper was marvellous."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Howard had a very good game, he couldn't be held responsible for any of the goals and it could so easily have been a couple more had he not performed so well. What was particularly encouraging was that the weakness he's shown a couple of times before in a crowded penalty box on high crosses was not apparent in this match. He commanded his area with some confidence and is clearly learning the Premiership game very quickly.

The vast majority of Utd fans are delighted with the way Howard is performing regardless of Ferguson's motivation for signing him :)

20. joeblade

joeblade New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Manchester, England
    From what I've seen of Howard, he looks excellent, and I think the idea of him being bought for purely commercial reasons is a joke (and i'm as inclined to be cynical about ManYoo as anyone!)
    he had a good game on saturday, despite the 3 conceded, and the result could have been even more embarrassing without him.
    They have struggled for years to find a decent successor to Schmeichel, but I think howard could be the man.

21. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    I don't particularily like Man U,but respect them as a team with hearts of warriors.Tim Howard has kept that team in the top 3,and is one of the top 3 goalies in the EPL .
    1 bad game and everyone is on his case isn't really fair,if comes back and does an encore like Barthez then ask some questions.

22. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    but he didn't have a bad game. no one has suggested he made any errors that led to goals in this game. the defense and the team overall had 1 bad game.

23. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    I personally think Howard is a top class keeper so i dont want you guys to think what i posted was derogatory towards Howard. Far from it, i think what i really mean is when Fergie signed him im not sure he thought he would brake into the starting 11 so quickly, but by having an american in the squad it wouldnt do Man utds chances of 'breaking' america any harm at all. But to Howards credit he has been great so far and has been 1 of Man utds best players so far if not the best from what i seen.

24. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    Well if you had chance to see him perform in his Man U debute,then you should know that he is incredible under pressure.I think if Ferguson or any of man u staff thought he was just going to be a marketing tool,they should
    already know that he is probably the best Goalie they have ever had.

25. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Though I don't like United, as a fan of the U.S. team, I am very pleased that Howard is developing well as a player at ManU. The U.S. has a wonderful stable of keepers and now we are developing several dangerous field players. Good luck Howard. Hope you get better and mind the net in Germany in 2006.