Man Utd v Arsenal [R] (Carling Cup) Pre/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know everyone is chomping at the bit for this match, but are we really ready for Man Utd? They are improving and Arsenal are treading water, not good combinations. I see this ending in a 1-1 draw...then dare I say.......PENALTIES! Keep your fingers crossed with a beer and antacid near by.

2. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Well I hope it doesn't go to Penalties, that would mean a hell of a long night!!
    But seriously, I am really looking forward to seeing the kids play. It will be tough for them, but they have nothing to fear - with no pressure as they will be expected to lose. I think they could pull a shouck win here

3. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think were going to pull one out here 2-1 Arsenal with a late goal from Lupoli.

4. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Indeed. They are a talented bunch capable of making some excellant plays, but from the everton game it is obvious that they make a lot of defensive errors. They were lucky against everton but I think that the MAn U offense will pick them appart with ease.

5. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Arsenal youngsters look good. Our youngster are Pique, Rossi etc. Not sure it will be that lot though.

6. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has anyone checked/does anyone know if this is the match that will be aired on 5 Live on Wednesday?

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    let the youngsters play

at least I will have something to do at work on wednesday afternoon

i'm not going to make predicitions because I have no clue what kind of lineup Utd will play. If its a first team lineup I think we will lose a close one, if they play a young team its a toss up.

8. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    The match is on Dec. 1st right...so the curse of november should be over!

I think we will win by the odd goal.

Who will be playing in central midfield? Cesc needs a rest and i think flamini is still injured - how the hell did we run out of central midfielders - our strongest position.

I hope to see ryan smith and lupoli have good games. Senderos needs to step up - this is the perfect time to get into the first team.

Does anyone know if this match is on tv in the states (atl)?

9. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Flamini will play. He was on the bench against Liverpool - as for who partners him, maybe Larsson? Not sure. Should be a good game though.

10. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Despite the noises they're making, I don't think either manager will take this too seriously.There's a CL match only a week away and a Premiership game between with both clubs desperate for the points. It'll be a youth/reserve team clash and the losing manager will be quick to point that out :)

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think both have mentioned in the past that they will try to play young squads... with our squad depth, ours wont quite be so young but there will be alot of reserves... I'd like to see Rio play though and see how he captains the side with the younger players in it... I would hope to see Rossi in this game as well as Richardson. It should be an entertaining match. No inhibitions - Smith will likely get the start and Bellion might play RW.

12. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I think that you posted in the wrong forum.

13. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Naw, tis good to get different perspectives on things. Just so long as it isnt blatent rabble rousing then its all good no?

14. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, you're right. Carry on Mtkill...

15. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    I am hoping someine across the pond can help me with info on the best way to go about getting tickets for Premiership matches. I am traveling to London in Jan and would love to take in a couple matches

16. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    JANUARY
    H 01 Southampton (PREM.) 15:00
    A 04 Arsenal (PREM.) 19:45
    H 15 Crystal Palace (PREM.) 15:00
    A 22 West Bromwich Albion (PREM.) 15:00

These are the Man City fixtures for that period. It isn't hard to get tickets and you can travel to manchester from london by Plane or Train quite easily and cheaply if you book in advance.
    Have a look at www.mcfc.co.uk to get full ticket info, but neither of the home games will sell out.

17. Girlbinti

Girlbinti Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I hope Wenger plays Vieira with the youngsters. After all, he will not be playing for 15 days, between the Birmingham and Portsmouth games due to mutiple suspensions.

18. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, on Setanta!

http://www.soccertv.com/england.cfm

This link will give you details of virtually all english games on TV. Though it doesn't always have all CL games shown on ESPN Dos etc!

19. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger has Named the squad

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...Clichy+and+Smith+return+for+Old+Trafford+trip

Manuel Almunia
    Chris Wright
    Robin van Persie
    Mathieu Flamini
    Philippe Senderos
    Jermaine Pennant
    Gael Clichy
    Justin Hoyte
    Patrick Cregg
    Johan Djourou
    Sebastian Larsson
    Arturo Lupoli
    Quincy
    Frankie Simek
    Danny Karbassiyoon
    Ryan Smith

Clichy and Smith return from injury and Cygan is out with a back Injury. Frank Simek is back from loan @ QPR. I think they have a great chance as long as ManU stick to the same plan of playing the youngsters.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    United won't play a first eleven but don't expect it to be a virgin lineup as there are many players who need a run out, not just the youth. That aside, I would be pleasantly amused to hear what Wenger would say after the match if we started a near full strength team, after all, he did the same to us in the past.

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see the kids taking on the ManU. They all seem to have a great fighting spirit and will play as hard as they can. I think they can pull off a win.

Anyone know of audio links?

Go Gunners!!!

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    what?? why??!?? speculation if manyoo started a full strength side....
    do you really care what the manager of arsenal says?? no im sorry, you would be "pleasantly amused"... was your point that arsenal did start a full strength team in the carling cup???
    :confused:

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, its just I like Wenger's antics. His side is full of angels and everyone else tries to kick them and all other teams cheat, but when the shoe is on the other foot he "didn't see it" is usually the response. At this stage he is ready to explode with all the pressure he is under, I think if we were to start a near full strength side he would tear into Fergie about it convieniently forgetting that he double crossed us a few years back - but it was just an observation. Our squad was named, and none of the veterans who start are in it.

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and SAF is just a paragon of virtue and all else that is good...... :rolleyes:

http://www.football365.co.uk/features/f365_features/story_132216.shtml

25. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the sig, Yoss. :)