Man Utd Summer Tour 04 USA!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by herecomesoshea, Nov 7, 2003.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering I live in Birmingham, I'd much rather them play here than in 1,200 mile away Boston :D

2. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Jesus! That's all this soccer-hating nation needs to see: an Italian team that scores a goal early and bunkers up for 85 minutes.

3. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where to I begin?

When players who are washed up in Europe can come to the US and thrive (or, players who never were worth a damn in the frickin Scottish league...) this says a considerable bit about the quality here in America.

I like MLS. It's improving. But the quality just isn't there yet.

Do you really believe that there's a single field player in the US that could start on Man Utd? Hell - look at Beasley. One of the best dribblers in MLS. Ronaldo makes him look like a 2 bit hack - and he isn't even one of the top players at Man Utd.

I think Donovan could perhaps make the rotation. Bocanegra could provide cover at the back, as could Pope.

Man Utd (or any huge club) is an all-star team. A collection of the very best players from many countries (and a few youngsters). MLS has some of the best players from the US and Canada, and a lot of South Americans that can't get contracts in Europe. And a few dried up Europeans.

Damn, I hate doing this. I love MLS, watch about every game on TV, and want it to improve. But this is just crazy.

[quote MLS teams needs to know where they stand. The only way for them to get better is to play the best.[/quote]

But why should Man Utd play them? They could get similar practice by playing Crystal Palace.

Really? I don't think the difference between the MLS teams and the US teams is as dramatic as a lot of Mexican league fans think... but I do think their teams are still better.

So if Real Madrid does it, so does Man Utd? How does that make it a good decision?

Look, I root for the Metros. But if I were going to a game, I'd rather see a real one against a team like Juventus. Why go, if seeing the Metros v. Man Utd means seeing a joke, or getting to see guys like Eagles, Spector, and Roy Carroll instead of Scholes, Ferdinand, and Howard?

Hopefully, someday MLS teams will play teams like Man Utd and be competitive. But I don't see how anybody could believe that day is here yet. And I don't see why anybody would want to see a farce of a game.

4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comments from the same dickwads who said Howard would be the second or third team keeper

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven, just why do you think MLS fans think their league is so competitive? It's because they are NEVER shellacked by these European teams. If you want to shut up MLS fans, then ManU should play an MLS team and crush them (other than Dallas of course).

But I don't think that will happen (the crushing defeat I mean).

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Why do I want to see MLS teams play with the big boys of Europe? Because we can beat them on a good day. Metrostars vs. European Champions Bayern Munich...... that's why.... D.C. United's domination over EPL teams.... that's why....

I love watching the EPL. I love watching MLS. I know that the EPL is the greatest league in the world with the best players and all that... I know MLS ain't there yet.... But that is why MLS teams need to be involved in the meaningless exhibitions vs world class teams...

7. toby

toby New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    SoCal
    from rednews.co.uk

Red News has got wind of plans for the next two pre-season tours. We told you last issue how the players were putting pressure on the club to make a quick return to America, so much did they enjoy it out there without the hassles of being mobbed like in the Far East. Well we can exclusively reveal that although nothing has been arranged yet, United look likely to return to the East Coast of America (probably with two games in Europe) next summer. Because of Euro 2004, there won't be a "full" tour, but the East coast of the US is a possibility for an eight day - two game - mini tour. Nothing will be confirmed for some time but one source tells us that 'the manager and coaching staff will be consulted throughout as always to ensure they are happy. It has to be said, they thought the US tour this summer was the best ever.' New York and either Boston or Washington are the likely venues, with the team to be based at a University in East Rutherford New Jersey

Saw this and thought this might help. Wish they would make a return trip to the west...oh well, next time. I just remembered that United have a deal wjth the Yankees making the New York venue seem the most solid choice.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think they are in New York not because of the deal with the Yankees, but because of the money in New York.

I hope they play in DC, FedEx field seats more than Giants Stadium, but I think the field might be too narrow.

9. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So, you really want to say that MLS teams can beat EPL teams when the EPL team actually cares short of a huge fluke?

I've seen some people compare MLS teams to D2 in England. I don't think that's true. I think there are some players in MLS that could play for some EPL teams. I think MLS is more comprable to English D1.

But here's the real rub: why would you pay $80 to see an EPL team play a D1 team in an exhibition match? There's some patriotic value in it being an American team... but I can see MLS teams play all the time. Give me another elite squad.

Note: I would be somewhat interested in an MLS all-star team playing Man Utd.

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think ManU is going to care any more than the other Euro teams MLS sides have played?

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Beat me to it. I totally agree with this. An MLS team would probably get embarassed by a Real Madrid or ManU, but an Allstar game would keep it closer.

It would also have more MLS fans be interested rather than having an individual MLS team play..

Obviously, last season woked out great as far as attendance goes. I am curious to see if the same crowd would show up for an MLS All Star team competing against a powerhouse...

I am guessing it would drop a little, but any time you have a famous team in town, it will draw #'s.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the MLS All-Star team would be the wrong route. Sure you could shrug off a big loss easier, but it'd be easier to shrug off a win too. Since ManUtd is coming in the middle of MLS' season, might be an easy time to play a team who has an off weekend one of the weekend's United's here.

13. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I agree. While I would rather watch two European powerhouses play a match, if there were an MLS-European match it should be a regular team instead of an all-star team. Perhaps the MLS title holders could play the european team?

14. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    best choice.

15. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    I think I would pay an expensive amount of money to watch a Celtic-Man U match in Boston

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An EAST COAST TOUR! Damn that sucks. Chicago is one of the three largest markets in the US(I think #2), we have a shiny new stadium, we've packed over 100,000 soccer fans into it during one week alone, and we have a local team that could possibly sweep all the domestic trophies. I really hope they decide to come here. I flew to Seattle last summer to see them play Celtic, but I don't think I can justify flying to the east coast to see them play only a year later. Please ManU, come to Chicago. You want money, we've got. You want a major american city, we're it. We're the home of the USSF, we where voted the best sports city to play in by major league baseball players, and we(Fire fans) where voted the friendliest fans by the Sports Fans of America Association (SFAA). Please please please come to Chicago. I don't care who you play.

17. zickarena

zickarena New Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Farmington
    I think there should be at least one MLS vs. ManU game on the tour. Let them play the MLS Cup winner. I would love to see a Fire vs. ManU matchup. Do I think the Fire could win? They could on any given day, but my bet would be with ManU. I think it would be great to see the best the MLS has to offer against ManU to use as a guage for the league.

I seem to remember a USA team that finished last in France make a surprise showing in Korea-Japan, so you never know what a team are capable of.

The MLS season would be in full swing and ManU would just be starting their season so things may be closer given those circumstances.

I would love to see a Manu vs. Real Madrid game even more though

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no I don't think the Fire would win. Though it is possible. It really depends on how serious Man U takes the game. I am 100% sure they would put on a better show than Club American did during the last tour. Also, Ante Razov has a nack for putting the ball past Man U's keeper:)

The team that represented the US in france was a disgrace. There was a lot more going on with them than what was seen on the pitch. Though I doubt even at their best they could have gotten much further. The team that represented us in Korea/Japan was completely different. It consisted of players playing abroad in europe as well as the finest american talent in MLS. In other words, both teams got about as far as they deserved.

True, and that could help swing things a little more in the Fire's favor. Either way, it'd be an entertaining match. Other than that, I think we'd all like to see a Man U Vs. Real Madrid game more, though i think that match up is destined for New York.

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should play an MLS team.

It's just.... "polite" if nothing else.

Also, the exposure of the MLS to a wider audience wouldn't hurt - even if we pound them. We put alot of quality goals past 3 World Class teams on the last tour, so I don't see that as a reason not to play an MLS team.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thats an oxymoron...

For all of you saying an MLS team will give ManU or any serious European Team competition bear in mind that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could probably start every possition on an MLS team save Centerback and goalkeeper.

Also that if new wonderboy Ronaldo came with ManU and played an MLS team the defensive players would form a union and ask that he not play in the US ever again.

But you are right. It is an exhibition tour, its not supposed to be taken seriously and it would be good for the MLS I believe....

I really did not want to say it but any league where Buddle is considered a rising star needs all the help it can get.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I never said that the Fire, or any MLS team for that matter, would beat ManU. All I really said was that I think they would lose by less than 4 goals. Thus, being better competition than Celtic and Club America. And please don't hate on MLS. The league may not exactly be "world class", but i'm a soccer fan living in Chicago, and I happen to enjoy supporting my home team. I only mentioned "the finest american talent in MLS" because there where a lot of MLS players on the US's roster when they made it to the round of 8 in the WC. And even Germany's manager admitted that they where lucky to advance past us. And though i'm not a Buddle fan, we do have several players that I think would do well in europe (Bocanegra, Donovan), and lets not forget that only a year ago Tim Howard was a rising star in MLS.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If the current version of the Fire played United, it could be interesting. But when Bocanegra and Beasley leave this offseason what would the team look like then? And weren't there some rumors about some Euro teams interested in Ralph?

I'm going to see United play, regardless of where they who they will be paying, but if I am going to drop all the money on tickets, hotels and the like, I would much rather watch United-Juve or United-Barca and I think most fans of soccer will agree with me.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralph here for next season. And beasley has already stated that he'll be here for at least one more season, and would like to finishing out his 2 year contract

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Just to set the record straight, Club America played ManU as close as any of their European opponents during that tour. They lost 3-1, after having played them pretty even in the first half. But I do agree that it would be great to see them play some sort of MLS representative.

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this is the second factual error i've made on BigSoccer. My apologies to those who may have been mislead. I can't believe i'm losing my memory at the age of 21. I do still believe they would put up a good result. It may be pretty close to what America put up though.