Man Utd Summer Tour 04 USA!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by herecomesoshea, Nov 7, 2003.

1. herecomesoshea

herecomesoshea New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    NJ / Cork
  2. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    While this is great news, I am hoping they'll announce Real Madrid and some Italian teams as well.

3. Coheed&Cambria

Coheed&Cambria New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Texas
    F Real Mardid. Though I, too, hope some Italion teams come. AC Milan and Juventus came this summer. I would love to see a Man United/ AS Roma match. I would like to see some Dutch teams come as well. Ajax or PSV would be great fun for the US crowds.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't think they would be coming back until 05 at the earliest. I wonder if this was sped up because of the rumors of a Real tour, which was to be more affilated with AEF and not Championsworld.

5. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    This is great news...

6. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    great news, last time i got cheap 65 dollar tickets. this time i think i'll do a lot better.

7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i guess that would mean they would not meet Real in the US if they're touring under different 'sponsors'?

great news that United will be back - i saw them in Philly against Barcelona and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOHOO! Great to hear, and I definitely hope they make at least one stop here in the Midwest.

[​IMG]

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks it may have a lot to do with the money that the team raked in last summer. I don't know exactly what ticket prices they charge on an Asian tour, but I think its safe to say they can charge way more in the US. Additionally, a promotional tour that triggers higher shirt sales in the US is likely to cause far fewer counterfeit sales than in other countries. Americans want "the real thing", and that is generally a benefit to the team.

Before World Cup 94, no one outside this country thought a soccer tournament of any scale could be held outside the US. It ended up being the most successful World Cup ever, financially. Same situation with United's tour last summer. As a result, I think there is a great chance of massive clubs coming to the US on promotional tours every summer from now on.

10. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i think man utd get a fixed amount of money for the tour. ticket sales money might go to champions world or the organizers of the tour.

11. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    While it's great news if this is true, I won't set my hopes too high until I hear the official announcements.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    MLS teams had better be allowed to participate in the EXHIBITION tour this summer.......

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm hoping for. I think against the Fire at Soldier Field would be nice.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I agree. Giants Stadium will be under-going a rennovation during the summer of 2004 I beleive... And the Fire are rather hot at the moment. But the Metrostars vs. Ajax (provided they come) sounds good to me!!

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, if Barca got to be on the "Champions' tour," the Fire certainly could be having won the supporter's shield and open cup.

16. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why?

I like MLS, but if Man Utd played even near full strength, it'd be a laugher. MLS teams don't need to be humiliated publicly. Losing wouldn't hurt them, imo - but getting crushed would. Americans just don't like losing teams (well, except the Cubs). And they really don't like their teams losing against foreign teams.

If I believed that Chicago could play Man Utd at 3/4 strength tough - great, I'd love to watch it. But I don't want to watch a slaughter or a farce in which Man Utd's B team beat Chicago 2-1.

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Possible cities could be: Boston (Foxboro), DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Tampa, San Fransico, Detroit and Pittsburg. I'm just throwing out names here, but I would think the only market United would hit twice would be New York. That said there are pros and cons for each of those cities.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it isn't going to happen, but I wish to goodness they'd play in the South. And no, Houston & Tampa don't count, they're even inconvenient to the rest of the South.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    And how do you know MLS teams would get shellacked by Man United? You don;t know untill they play each other. MLS teams needs to know where they stand. The only way for them to get better is to play the best. Man United certainly did not get any better by playing Club America. Any top MLS team could have put up a better or at least a similiar perfomance that the mexican team put up. I also consider it a sign of disrespect not to get the local sides involved. Real Madrid played a bunch of local sides in their far east tour this summer. I would garner the top MLS teams are better than the sides that Madris played in the tour. Real Madrid playing weak opponnets certainly did not hamper their ability to start off the year strongly in La Liga or in Europe.

20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe Roy Keane will get back to me with the answer to the question I asked him in July.
    And maybe Ruud won't blow me off again when I asked him for his autograph.

21. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what a joke

22. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I got Ruud's autograph - here's a helpful hint for next summer: have your girlfriend ask for it!

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm thinking about going to England and Spain next summer. But I need to convert all of my MLS tapes to PAL format so I can watch those games while I'm over there, instead of going out to see the local teams play.

Of course ManU should play local sides when they tour the States, but will they?

I sure hope so.

24. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Where would they play? The only places that are big enough in the South are college stadiums and domes. Where would you rather play a small market like Birmingham, Alabama or Boston, Mass? This tour is all about moeny and playing in some of the poorest states in the Union wouldn't make sense.

25. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe they can play Celtic again.....and this time they can play in Boston, where probably half the people would be buying tickets for Man U and the other half would be buying to see Celtic (ok so maybe more like 65/35).