Man Utd linked with Clint Mathis

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From RedNews.co.uk:

Not sure about this rumour. He'd qualify for a work permit with his number of Caps though...

2. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Who knows! Who would have though Tim-MAY would have stepped in as first team keeper?

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more unsure about the source of Rednews' information, than I am about whether Clint could do a job for us. Fergie won't put up with any laziness and that alone would do wonders for Clint as he's still got some potential to get to that next level...

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Plus, his potential ManU teammates would take none of his laziness or anything else. Who knows if Clint would buckle under the pressure of not being an automatic first choice. I do think he could learn some stuff from RvN, etc.

I do think the report is rubbish. Something about the line, "(against the likes of Brazil and Italy not just the mickey mouse clubs)", that makes me disbelieve it all.

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The only way Clint is going to get into Old Trafford any time soon is if he buys a ticket.

6. webster

webster New Member

May 18, 2002
    NYC
    Can't see it at all. All he has going for him is that he's not cup-tied and that he'll be cheap. But he's not young, is usually in poor shape, has had history of injury and has not been that productive.

Clint's value hit the skids around the time he appeared on the cover of SI pre-World Cup.

7. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Man Utd wants to sign an American striker, why not someone better, like Donovan or McBride?

Heck, Beasley could help out in midfield right now too.

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Donovan would be the more useful of the three you mention, IMO.

Beasley is basically the same type of player as Ronaldo.

McBride could be useful as well, and I'd like him more if we had Becks still crossing balls into the area, but he'd probably be an OK alternate No. 1 striker, like when Ruud is being rested, as I don't see anybody else on our roster that could collect and hold the ball as a classic target man is asked to do...

Donovan is a more natural finisher and converts chances. I rate him highly (when he is on form).

9. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    C'mon. Clint has "issues" no doubt. But, when he is ready and on, he is a killer. The man is top-shelf and, motivated properly, can fit right in at Old Trafford.

10. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Wow. The same type of player. A little more speed, and a lot less skill, but other than that, the same type of player.;)

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beasley vs. Ronaldo

No, it's a fair comment. He's the same type of player -- a quick dribbler to fulfill a winger role.

Nobody said he was as good as Ronaldo.

12. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch Chicago that much...does Beasley play on the left at all?

Beasley-Ronaldo on the wings would be interesting....the Tazmanian Red Devil attack...:)

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Beasley has to learn to cross first. As for Clint, I love him but United??? I've been to Manchester and there are some good bars there.

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Beasley plays almost exclusively in left midfield, though with his speed he opens up the center of the field a lot too and attracts defenders well. Really its surprising that he hasn't yet found a home in the Premiership, with his speed and quality finishing.

But back to Mathis, I'm not so sure he would be a great fit. Hasn't quite lived up to his potential, though he is a solid MLS player. And I haven't heard of Bayern making a £4.5million bid for Mathis. I can't imagine MLS turning down a transfer of that amount.

15. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Yes, Beasley plays almost exclusively in left midfield, though with his speed he opens up the center of the field a lot too and attracts defenders well."

Curious...who is Man Utd's long term replacement for Giggs? And are they better than Beasley?

16. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Fortunately, since there's not much drinking associated with English football culture, Clint would be safe. ;)

17. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    4.5 million pounds translates to what, $7 million? No way MLS would have turned that down. It's got to be false.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem would be keeping him from demanding a transfer to Wolves (you knew it was coming!).

[​IMG]

Mmmm... nacho cheesy. :D

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    manU doesn't need clint... they already have ruud to fluff the pks.

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, among Ronaldo, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Fletcher, and Richardson, someone must feel comfortable playing on the left. As for being better than Beasley, its hard to call. As was stated before, Beasley isn't a great crosser, but then we haven't seen any of the above be great crossers either. Its a tough skill, but one we need in order to truly get past Becks.

21. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Well, among Ronaldo, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Fletcher, and Richardson, someone must feel comfortable playing on the left."

I would guess that (long-term, Father Ted :)Ronaldo will replace Scholes/RvN, and Kleberson will replace Keano.

Djemba-Djemba....maybe. Fletcher or Richardson seem more likely.

22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Ummm, no.

His name is Quintin Fortune.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that I don't believe he's scored 19 goals in 26 games. I could be wrong, since US soccer hasn't updated their stats. But that just doesn't sound right.

24. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    And its him we need to replace :)

25. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Kieran Richardson is left footed, but he is very young and didn't make a big impression in the CL games he got last year, I think he is the (very) long term replacement for Giggs, not to mention England's left wing saviour, but he needs to get some more growing done.