Man Utd January '06 Transfer Targets and Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
  2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckenbauer has a good point, Real need more attacking players... :rolleyes:

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I seriously think Bayern are still sour because of '99

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    meh....

maybe, but sour or not if they don't sign ballack soon he's gonna be gone... I just hope its to us.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    It seems as though they will cajole the player to go to anyone but us.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    which may work in our favour... if he's really pissed at them he'll go to us just to spite them.... also I don't think he'd fit at Madrid w/ Raul and Baptista already forced to play in midfield to get minutes. Had Juve not just gotten Vieira they might have been a destination. Milan has Kaka, Gattusso and Pirlo - as well as Vogle. They can't hope to get better in the middle of the park. Can't see him going to Inter and they have too many mids anyway same w/ Barca.. if he's looking to joing a BIG club I think we're the best option.

7. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballack would almost certainly force himself into the starting lineup at Inter. At Barca, I'm not certain who would be forced to sit to accomodate him. I figure Little Ron, Deco, Xavi and Guily will all be deployed. It looks like if he wants to leave, it should be between United and Inter.

8. Kavster

Kavster New Member

May 16, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Milan also have Seedorf...Inter still have Veron, can't see Ballack playing second fiddle to him. Barcelona also have van Bommel and Ezquerro...We seem to be the only sensible choice where he is near enough guaranteed a first team spot.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Inter've got Veron, Cambiasso, Pizarro (who would be a great fit for us I feel) and they lack some grit in midfield... I think Ballack would make the first team there with ease, but it wouldn't solve their problem with finding a functioning destroyer.

It would also give them WAY too many midfielders... I guess I wouldn't mind if he went to Inter, rather - id prefer him to go there than to another big club.

Barca just doesn't make sense... Eto'o likes to come from deep alot and Ronaldinho is their playmaker whether he's playing in the middle or on the left and Xavi is a signed in gold starter for every match he's fit for. No way they'd bench Deco permanently and they're trying to bring through Iniesta AND Messi.

Ok, so I've worked it out... I'll allow Ballack to sign for Inter on the condition that Inter sell us Pizzaro cheaply and the same for Barca if they let us have Deco/Messi.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Let's be very real here. Ballack would make the first xi of any team in the world except Chelski and Juve as their midfields are set in stone. Many teams would actually change their style of play to accomodate Ballack as well

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would hate for Ballack to go to Inter, no matter who they buy they always manage to underachieve, We're a much better option than them, as John has pointed out before, he doesn't seem to fit in at any other team, we are the best suitors for him and Bayern managment is well aware of that. They just seem to think Ballack will find success with every other club other than United. In the end its Ballack's decision, I can only hope he makes the right one.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Given Luxemburgo's preference for central players, the need to replace Zidane and Beckham's status, it would not be strange or unreasonable for Real to go after Ballack. He'd certainly take over for Zidane, who's clearly on his last legs.

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You think they'd admit the £15m spent on Baptista was a waste then? Surely if Ballack goes to Real then Baptista rides the pine

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm not so sure. Luxemburgo wants to play that stupid 4-2-2-2 which in theory would have room for both Baptista and Zidane (and therefore Ballack). I think Baptista is miscast in the role he's playing for Real, but hey - what do I know, right? :rolleyes: ;)

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

How does he get into Madrid's first XI?

I admitted he'd get into Inter's XI and I guess he could make it into Barca's but they'd have to go through RADICAL changes to make it work...

-------------Eto
    Ronnie--------------Giuly
    --------Xavi--Ballack
    -----------???

that would effectively bench Deco, Van Bommel and Messi for every game. None of them can play the flank and like I said... Xavi is starting every game he's fit for.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he would fit into Luxemburgo's squad at all, There is no way Real will buy a German player and force him into the team or build the team around him, because realistically thats the only way he will ever get into the starting eleven.

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    The logistics would be worked out by whoever bought him, but a talent like Ballack can pretty much go where he wants and expect to start, booting someone out of a first team in the process. If you add on the fact he'll be sold at a half of his true worth it becomes a no brainer.

18. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    You have to be kidding. The crosses Beckham is putting in and the void they have at goalscoring midfield...hmmmm

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well... we can dance around it all we want but we all know the truth... we're buying Ballack in December ;)

so, what's your pricetag?

I'd say 8M GBP.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you probably misunderstood what I meant. The way Ballack would be used most efficiently would be placing him behind the forwards and just ahead of a defensive midfielder. That would also mean benching whoever plays just behind the strikers, in this case Baptista.

---forward 1---forward 2---

winger 1----Ballack------winger 2--
    -------------DM-------------

I don't think Luxemburgo will change his current formation just to accomodate Ballack.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    There's no way Real will ever buy a German? WTF is that about? They were after him when he was bought by Bayern in the first place!

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's in the cards to sign him this December, unless it's a pre-contract for next season. In any case, Bayern would probably have to be out of the CL (unlikely) for any deal letting him leave this season is made. (he'd want to stay for that, and he'd be cuptied anyways)

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who was the last German they bought and when was that?

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Real always use unbalanced hybrid systems and Beclham on one side and R.Carlos on the other is ample enough for crosses. Zidane or Robinho offset to the left and it's good to go. I believe there is only 2 teams that would not modify to accomodate Ballack and RM is certainly not one of them.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think the only two clubs who wouldn't accomodate him are Chelsea and Barca. Barca because Xavi is Spanish and homegrown, and isn't losing his spot. (He's not as good as Ballack, but other than Puyol he's their only good Spanish player.) He'd also have trouble co-existing with Pirlo at Milan, but otherwise, every team would take him. I think Juve would too - he'd play a lot more instead of either of del Piero or Nedved, who're not exactly young anymore. Although, come to think of it, Ballack is no spring chicken himself.