Man United v Portsmouth - 11/1 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back at OT, time to get some confidence back after last week's shock result. The midweek Carling Cup result probably helped, and Dj2 and Fortune have looked mighty good recently. United will need the two of them and Ronaldo to platoon if they're going to adjust to life without Scholes for a while. And who knows what the status of Rio will be, though I assume he'll be playing on Saturday. Let's hope that Keane and Giggs can anchor this team, and that Ruud can show the form we've all grown fond of.

Anyone think SAF is really going to put Forlan out there after scoring in his last two matches? I really don't think that would be a great idea, but we need someone up there, especially with Solskjaer out for another two months.

Portsmouth have looked good for a recently promoted squad. They have already nicked a point from Arsenal, and beaten the 'Pool. United need all three points in this match to silence the Panic Police.

Not sure if this match will be on PPV. If anyone can find out, please let us know.

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    game will be on PPV sat 10 am est and on FSW a few days later

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 showings next week of this:

Mon Nov 03 08:00PM Eastern
    Length: 1 hr
    FOX Sports World (US)
    English Football - Manchester United Cup Show

Wed Nov 05 04:00PM Eastern
    Length: 1 hr R
    FOX Sports World (US)
    English Football - Manchester United Cup Show

Don't ask me what it is, I don't know.

Trophy presentation from last season perhaps?

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We can only pray

I hope that Forlan does not even make the bench. We are in bad shape but I just hope that someone gets hot... Giggs prefferably, of all the players we have he seems the most capable of beating another team by himself. Not that he will have to, Ronaldo should be rested and DJ^2's confidence should be fairly high. I guess it will be Ronaldo behind ruud and Fletc on the right with Dj Dj and Keano in the middle of the park.. its what i would do..

5. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Come on somebody... what does the game look like?

BBC match tracker doesn't give one a sense of the game flow at all :(.

6. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    FORLAN! great finish.

from matchtracker.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. Stupid PPV not on digital cable....

Oh yeah, Forlan 37'

United 1 - 0 Portsmouth

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    bbc sucks. use man utd.com matchtracker.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: We can only pray

He scores ouir only goal vs. Fulham, he scores vs. Leeds nd now he scores the only goal to put us in the lead (when Ruud had more chances, according to George best on Sky Sports's "Gillette Soccer Saturday"), and you still ridicule the guy

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't ridicule someone for missing shots, i ridicule them for unscoring goals... Ruud may miss from time to time, but Forlan is a conisistent unscorer of goals..

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo - Free kick

United 2 - 0 Pompey

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Keano's fvcking magic
    He wears a magic hat
    And when he saw Old Trafford
    He said "I fancy that!"
    He didn't sign for Arsenal or Blackburn (cause they're sh1te!)
    He signed for Man United cuz we're fvcking dynamite!

United 3 - 0 Pompey

13. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RONALDO!

According to the Soccernet match tracker, Ronaldo's free kick goal was from pretty far out. Can't wait to see that highlight.

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a final. 3-0 for the Devils.

Hopefully this will silence those who say only Ruud scores for us. We have plenty of guys capable of scoring, and its great to see Ronaldo net one. Keane has been on fire this year, and Forlan is even starting to look good (for now).

The result was in doubt until late, but a three-goal win is just what this team needed. Good to be back on track. Chelsea and Arsenal have won too, so we needed this to stay with them.

15. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perfect way for Ronaldo to score his first goal.

It was in a meaningful game, at a meaningful time (effectively ended Pompey's hopes)... but not in such dramatic fashion that there'll be too much focus on it (Rooney's...) and too much backlash if he doesn't follow it up immediately.

Now play him as off-striker! :)

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Certainly until Scholes gets back from injury, then we'll see...

I'm worried about Ruud, he is off form and also tired, not a good combination.

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's streaky - like most strikers tend to be - we're lucky that he tends to have much more scoring streaks than goal-less streaks.

This is nothing that a brace in the next match won't cure either...

18. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Even after Scholes gets back. Scholes is really better as an AMC, rather than an off-striker. We need him to dictate the attacking play from the center of midfield, not merely link up with RVN w/a final ball. Scholes is the most creative player on Man Utd (and imo, the best)... he's more involved as an AMC than as an off-striker. The difference may seem small... but I think it's huge.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Funny about all those peopel who say Keane's past it... he may not be able to play as much as he once could, but in only 15 minutes on the pitch he managhed to score a goal, and Pompey's chances of scoring seemed to be greatly reduced... he's still on of the best!

20. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Interesting game - one of two parts - and it does reveal who should take Scholes' midfield role while he's out - Roy Keane.

For 75 minutes Utd were devoid of invention. Long balls up the centre, hopeful balls in from the wings. The goal was the only shot on target in the whole 75 minutes. There was an element of luck even in that as Giggs' header fell conveniently to Forlan unmarked just inside the box and Hislop was unsighted as two defenders ran at Forlan and the ball passed through their and RvN's legs.

Apart from that there was a piece of magic from RvN when he challenged for a high ball, took the ball on his thigh past the defender and hit a sweet shot that glanced off the bar with Hislop beaten. On the other hand he was put through by Giggs and blasted the ball high and wide with only the keeper to beat.

Then DjDj was replaced by Keane and Ronaldo replaced Forlan. Keane immediately started to make a big difference playing a role more reminsicent of Scholes, one that was desperately needed.

Ronaldo's goal came directly from a free kick. It was one of those crosses whipped into the box from out on the left that eluded everyone and curled inside the far post. There was a suggestion that Butt might have touched it but I don't think so. Certainly he didn't cause any deviation. Ronaldo's first goal, of course, and you could see it mattered! :)

The third goal came from Keane himself. The ball was played to him just inside the box from a throw-in close to the right corner flag. He took it facing away from goal but turned to take it across the face of the box and hit a left foot shot inside the far post.

The defensive system that Alex has employed - two defensive midfielders playing 20 yards in front of central defence - was effective again. There was little drama around the Utd goal. He should stick with that.

The problem is how he gets some effective attacking play from the other four. Following this game I believe this is the best he has until Scholes comes back:

......................RvN
    ......Giggs...................Ronaldo/Fletcher
    ....................Keane
    ...............Butt........Neville/DjDj
    Fortune...................................Neville
    ...........Silvestre........Ferdinand
    .....................Howard

With Scholes back I suggest he replace Keane in the above and Keane replace Butt.

21. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ruud will score again for sure..when I dont know, next match? Only danger is if he lets it get to him and starts to try to hard.

Good job Forlan scored. But when Ruud's not scoring the others have to, its about having all your eggs in one basket!

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I want to agree with you, but other than Ruud and Ole we dont have that many great finishers. Scholes in the Off striker role scored 20 last season. His total will drop when he moves back, and he will create more for the team (not just Ruud) but will the chances be capitalized upon?

When everyone is fit though I think your system or the one proposed by Machoward is likely. Personally I would like to see the good old 4-4-2 Keane and Scholes playing in the middle with Ronaldo and giggs out wide but for defensive purposes I guess SAF wont be going back to that.

23. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I thought the game was a little better than Machoward lets on. There was generally more energy to the team than in the Fulham outing and a lot more combination work down the wings. Still missed the last pass more than anyone would like to see, but Giggs had a couple of those for Ruud that were absolutely brilliant and it was Ruud that couldn't get the job done (I thought the one in the 2nd half was absolutely going to be buried -- he's been waiting for that clear a chance for 3-4 games now).

I do agree that there was less innovation than you'd like to see, but as noted before, the 2 d-mid system that has been employed did a very effective job in shutting down the Portsmouth attack. The only really great chance I can think of that Pompey had in the first half was a Berger break where Rio knew he was waiting to unleash the fury with the left foot and Berger cut it back after the overplay to his right. Still hit a good shot, though it was over the bar.

Keano's goal was magnificently taken, as was Forlan's. Giggs definitely meant to play that back to that spot. There was a bit of luck that it go through a defender's legs to goal, but Diego was patient, struck it very clean and that sort of luck sometimes makes itself at these levels when everything else goes right.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I'm the Mod. :D