Man U coming to the US AGAIN in 2004

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by da_cfo, Nov 7, 2003.

1. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=282750&cc=5901

Man U has hit the mother lode.

There is simply too much money to be made.

Anyone willing to bet that Man U will come to the US EVERY SUMMER to "reload" its coffers with greenbacks?

One other thing: we are waiting for Man U to throw its NikeDollars (TM) at one Freddy Adu. It is only a matter of time...

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So both Real Madrid and Manchester United will be touring the colonies this upcoming summer? That's certainly a coup. What other teams have you hear rumblings about? And can you confirm that MLS will be play a part in the tour? I thought for sure that Man Yoo would be touring Asia next summer. Thank you for the updates Oliver!

3. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    MLS, which is aligned with SUM/AEG, is involved with the Real Madrid tour in 2004.

SUM/AEG and ChampionsWorld don't particularly like each other.

The soccer entertainment industry in the US is a fractured one, with lots of rivalies.

SUM/AEG vs ChampionsWorld is just the latest version of Godzilla vs King Kong in the US soccer entertainment industry.

Past epic struggles in this industry include Julie Foudy et. al. (bankrolled Amos Hostetter and John Hendricks) vs Alan Rothenberg et. al. (bankrolled by Phil Anschutz and Lamar Hunt). We figured out how that one would eventually turn out around Memorial Day 2001 and everything played out pretty much on schedule.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Wow... that sux having 2 competing tours each bringing in their own teams.....

Next summer Giants Stadium is supposed to be under going some rennovations which will last 3 summers. I wonder if this will have any effect on the Metrostars as well as any of the tours that roll in.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, about 3 years.

There's a rule against the international transfer of children.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

(Thanks, Ollie, it's been at least a week since I've had the chance to point this out.) :)

PS...the 2 year window for this rule will be ending soon...any word on if FIFA is going to modify the rule and allow the international transfer of children, at least under some circumstances?

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ajax has been rumored to tour the US since they are opening Ajax Orlando.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest I heard was that Real were not gonna do it this summer because of the European Championship...

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Man U coming to the US AGAIN in 2004

I cant wait for Freddy to become 18 so I dont have to hear you chime in with the same post everytime someone mentions his transfer.. :D

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    What is the deal with that? I saw the webpage and stadiumn renditions, but that is all I heard.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yes I heard this one also.... They will definately be in the states for a tour when the Ajax Orlando stadium opens...

11. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    Manchester United, which features United States goalkeeper Tim Howard, will play at Soldier Field in Chicago and Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, with games to take place in late July or early August. The site of the third game has not been finalized - the top contenders are Foxboro, Massachusetts; Philadelphia; and Washington.

Opponents have not been selected. Among the teams contacted are Spain's Real Madrid - the team of former Manchester United star David Beckham - and the top clubs in the Italian League.

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=1834356

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I heard this also, but I think they would wait untill the new Ajax orlando stadium opens...

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well Ajax might be waiting quite a while since ALL they have is rederings of a mythical stadium. They don't have a site, or even an idea of a site. Nor have they raised any capital for the project. Right now, it looks like this is a "dream" project of one ambitious, little organization. Lets see them field a team first before they start talking SSS and Ajax summer tour.

14. p_westerberg

p_westerberg New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    Has this been confirmed anywhere yet?