Man City Vs Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Alan D, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Man City v Arsenal Preview
    By Tom Adams - Created on 25 Aug 2006

[​IMG]

Arsenal travel to Eastlands to face Manchester City on Saturday, live on PremPlus, in a game that has been overshadowed by the ongoing recriminations after Ben Thatcher's disgraceful challenge on Pedro Mendes.

City boss Stuart Pearce has refused to rule out the possibility of suspending the defender after his forearm smash sent Portsmouth's Mendes to hospital, with both The Football Association and Greater Manchester
    ester Police investigating the incident that has drawn fierce criticism from within the footballing community.

Thatcher is therefore highly unlikely to take part against The Gunners, with City skipper Richard Dunne admitting that the storm surrounding the incident has proved an unwelcome distraction before Saturday's clash.

Pearce's task already looked formidable, as Arsenal have never been beaten by City in The Premiership and claimed a double over their northern opponents last season, and his cause has not been helped by an injury to new goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson.

The summer signing from Rennes will be out for three weeks, and potentially longer, as he needs minor surgery on an ankle complaint, meaning Nicky Weaver will continue in goal with Joe Hart on the bench.

Italian striker Bernardo Corradi has returned from suspension after his debut sending off in the opening game of the season against Chelsea, but fellow new face Hatem Trabelsi, once a target for Gunners boss Wenger, has still not arrived in England due to visa problems.

However, Sylvain Distin will be present to help marshal the City defence after deciding to turn down a move to Middlesbrough and see out the last year of his deal at Eastlands, whilst young star Micah Richards will be hoping to make another positive impression after being linked with a move to Highbury over the summer.

Summer signing Dietmar Hamann is absent with a foot injury whilst knee problems mean striker Andy Cole is also in the treatment room.

Although Arsenal have an exemplary record against Saturday's opponents, the game at Eastlands will be the first indication of whether Wenger has corrected the ghastly away form that inhibited The Gunners last season.

The North London side lost nine games on the road last term, but their morale must currently be sky high after seeing Chelsea lose 2-1 to Middlesbrough at the same time they qualified for the UEFA Champions League.

Theo Walcott provided another assist during a 15 minute cameo appearance against Dinamo Zagreb, and he should be afforded another chance to impress even if Wenger opts to keep him on the bench at first.

Gunners captain Thierry Henry is, by his own admittance, some way short of match fitness, but City has proved a happy hunting ground for the club's all-time record scorer in the past and he should return to the starting line-up along with Gilberto after the duo were rested in midweek.

One player currently not in favour is wantaway left back Ashley Cole, with the England international being frozen out of the first team picture in North London as he pursues a move to rivals Chelsea, so Justin Hoyte could well continue in the back four alongside Kolo Toure, Johan Djourou and Emmanuel Eboue.

Both Jose Antonio Reyes and new signing Tomas Rosicky missed the Dinamo game due to groin problems, and if they fail to return for Saturday then Freddie Ljungberg and Alexander Hleb are likely to patrol the flanks again.

German international Jens Lehmann, who picked up an award for being the best goalkeeper in last season's UEFA Champions League in Monaco on Thursday, was also absent in midweek due to a knee problem but he is expected to return to deny Manuel Almunia a rare chance to impress in The Premiership.

Lauren (knee), Gael Clichy (foot), Philippe Senderos (shoulder) and Abou Diaby (ankle) are all long term absentees for Wenger as he looks to maintain his fine record against a soul-searching City side currently coping with the fall-out from Thatcher's indiscretion.

http://home.skysports.com/article.aspx?hlid=412187&id=412187#articlepoll
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

We look doomed for this season already. No point in even attempting a prediction - defeat is staring at us in the face.

2. South East Citizen

South East Citizen New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent
    Think doomed is a bit strong, but I agree it's a bit unlikely we'll get much out of tomorrow. As least Thatcher won't be playing following his suspension from first team action.

3. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Yeah maybe but I'm just feelin a bit down at the moment footballwise. Just wish Pearce would be given a bit more money so we can get a couple of left wingers because although we desperately need one, ideally two would be nice in case of injuries and stuff.

4. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Another spanking on the way, after scraping a draw in between. I can't see anything else happening. The midfield is lousy. Why did SP dispose of Croft's services, as he is still young and eager to impress, and would have given a real right wing service. The midfield is a bit of a joke. It's old and the players there are collecting their last big paydays. As for Barton, I am not convinced, but what else has the team got?
    Too many forwards/strikers and not enough creativity to open teams up.

5. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    If I was Pearce, I'd make sure that I signed Thomert and then go after Riera on-loan for a season because if we only signed Thomert then that would only be one left-winger and chances are he might be injured at some point which leaves us vulnerable again. And what the heck, get Musampa back because at least he is an attacking midfielder - he might of been inconsistant last season but thats what the whole team are.

6. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa.

Did not think that was going to happen.

7. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    :eek:
    Then again according to the report on the Beeb, it was more a case of wasted chances by the Gooners, that a great performance by City. But a win is a win and 3 important points. Plus it looks great that the team beat the Gooners this season at home.
    Just hope SP can strengthen the midfield a bit before the transfer window closes.

8. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I was just going to stop in to say cheers for beating the Arse, but from the look of it, that might just depress everyone here further. I realize it'll be a relegation battle for you guys this season, but c'mon, show a little enthusiasm.

9. South East Citizen

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent

Well if we're in for a relegation battle maybe we should be annoyed at you for sharing the points with Sheffield Utd. Or maybe you're just a bit s**t. You just worry about wrapping Stevie G up in cotton wool. One man teams don't work so well when that one man's not playing.

Nothing depressing about yesterday's performance. Yeah they missed a lot of chances and hit the woodwork a couple of times, but nobody beats Arsenal without being a bit lucky because they keep the ball so well. Everyone played brilliantly; Dunney was awesome as ever, Dabo, Dickov and Corradi battled really hard, and Barton and Distin showed what we would have missed if we'd let them go this summer. The only player that didn't really shine was Vassell (sorry- I know you like him Alan!). If we can sort out the left midfield problem we could have a good season.

10. lightningspark

lightningspark New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am really impressed with Dabo so far. The man is nowhere near 100% fit and he is already starting to shine. Once fitness rises and he adjusts to the pace of the Premiership, he will prove to be an incredible signing.

I really like Corradi also and bringing back Dickov was great. Two guys who definitely might not be up there in talent but make up for it with 150% effort.

11. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    lol its alright m8. Vassell did ok on the left but it wasn't his best performance but he did track back well to help Jordan - if he is to be used anywhere on the flanks then it should be the right because that is his favoured foot and he will be able to cross the ball in much better and use his pace to get past players. Anyway, if we sign Thomert, which is looks like we are, then he won't have to be used there. If Sinclair gets injured then Vassell would be the ideal replacement.

I would love us to use a 3-5-2 formation at home, with Distin, Dunne and Richards as the three CB's, Jordan as the LWB and Trabelsi as the RWB, then have Barton in the middle with Hamann/Dabo/Ireland/Reyna and then Vassell as the attacking midfielder just behind the two main strikers, who would be Corradi/Samaras and Dickov/Cole. Damn - maybe not cos then there wouldn't be any places for Sinclair and Thomert (if we sign him).

I'd definately use Vassell and Cole as the two starting strikers in away games and maybe Corradi and Dickov for home games, but then no place for Samaras?. Its a nice dilemma to be in with the strikers we have but someone needs to start scoring the goals but I truely believe this will happen when we get a left-winger in.

As for the best player of the match, I'd have to go with Dunne. Dabo had a good game and he can only get better as he adjusts to the English game, Barton was sort of the power and push of the midfield and I can't criticise any one player. Weaver pulled off some great saves and Dickov worked hard along with Corradi. I don't personally believe we will be involved in a relegation battle and at the very least we will finish mid-table again.

12. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you (like me) who don't have regular access to see the games on TV, here are the highlights from FSC. Only about about two minutes of actual highlights though. :(
    Weaver looked good.

13. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, okay... You're so right.

14. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Looking good, getting a home win against Arsenal

But we need to beat teams like Portsmouth, how did we draw that team???

15. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, their next time out, they won 4-0 at Middlesboro, so maybe it wasn't just City not playing well.

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    we better kill Reading next game

17. South East Citizen

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent
    And Middlesboro beat Chelsea!

18. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Pompey have a really decent squad now after raiding other clubs, mostly ours, for players so the draw was ok