Man City impresses me!

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Catfish, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just saw the replay on FSW and their serious thrashing that they gave to the Villains proves once again that they belong in the top flight.

Plus, City of Manchester Stadium is magnificant.

2. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Yeah it was pretty impressive. They gave Villa an absolute spanking. And it was nice to watch. I've never been a big City fan, but it was impressive. Anelka is absolutely fantastic striker. He can put the ball in the back of the net. I wish we could've seen more of what he can do, not being on the spot. Was it two PKs he scored on? Great treble, great comeback for City. Fantastic 2nd half. Great football.

3. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Both our centre-halfs came off with injuries in that game! We played the last 30 minutes with our RB at CB, our LB at RB and our LM at LB. We also gave away two PK`s and a free kick right on the edge of the box which Man. City scored from. Last seasons player of the year (G. Barry) was suspended last seasons leading scorer(Vassell)injured, and our leading scorer this season Angel had to come off as well. We also fluffed three one on ones with the City keeper.
    When we had a team first half, Man. City were restricted to a couple of shots from distance and we lead them 1-0. The final score shows they can rout a team decimated by injuries and suspensions.

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, I have to ask, as you have Arsenal and Real Madrid listed as teams you support, who is this "we" you speak of. Just for clarity you understand.

That's quite a list of excuses there fella.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK, I have to ask, as you have Arsenal and Real Madrid listed as teams you support, who is this "we" you speak of. Just for clarity you understand. (Michaec)

Go easy, soccerchick is cool. She is from TN, a very beautiful state.

I know Real Madrid is equal to Manure, definately of the Spanish League. FC Barcelona would be our equal, I guess. But Real Madrid played some beautiful football yesterday vs. Marsille, whether you like them or not.

Zidane is AWESOME!

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was only asking. I'm sure soccerchick is cool, but you can see why I was confused.

7. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Now I'm confused

WHO was watching doesn't really answer the question.........Anelka has played for both Real and Arsenal, so shouldn't you have seen him play before? Quite a bit? Especially since you watch EPL? I think that was Michaec's question. It certainly was mine.

9. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Couldn't she have just been referring to Anelka's performance in the game in question? That's how I read it.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    she said she "wished she could see more of what he can do"
    my question is - hasn't she seen plenty when he played for her 2 favorite teams? He hasn't exactly just burst onto the scene.

11. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Anelka the hog

From what i've seen of Anelka, he is a little hog. When he had the ball close to Villa's goal, he did not pass the ball once. Even when he did not have a clear shot. I only have FSWE so i dont get to watch as many EPL matches as FSW viewers get. Can any of you change my view of what i think of him in the few times that i've seen him?

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Anelka the hog

Actually, i'm with you on this one. I don't see why everyone went so gaga about him in this game. There were several good scoring opportunities that City had which were squandered because Anelka decided instead to blast away from 30 yards with a man right in his face. the first 2 goals he had were on pk's which he did not create. basically, it comes down to him getting one garbage time goal when Villa was pressing all their men forward to try and cut into a late 3-1 deficit. I think the praise for Anelka should be tempered with MUCH criticism.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Er,

Anelka is a hog, yes. But the problem is, he has no faith in the strikers on his team. Nor should he - they've been pretty bad. I've watched 3 Man City games this year (that's what they happened to be playing in the pub that day, I guess) and in all of them if Anelka wasn't doing it, no one was. He can be greedy, but with the quality around him I'm not sure he should be blamed THAT much.

14. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Understandable when they've struggled to get back to the top division. Since they had to struggle while waiting for COMS to open, they had to make due with the players they had. A couple of players did played well for them, especially Shaun Goater. However, the Goat is no longer with them because of some SNAFU's with the front office which I won't go into. Anelka was had basically at a "cut price", since the "bigger" clubs couldn't deal with him.

However, you all seem to underestimate their determination to perservere in the toughest of situations. How else would they have fought back from the lower divisions?

15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I have to say that Man City is far more impressive at the beginning of the season than they were last year.

They seemed to have gelled quite well together up and down the field.

I am still a little skeptical that they can challenge for a champions league spot for next year though. I am not entirely convinced that they can stay consistant all season, which is needed in the top leagues.

Assuming that Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea will get the first three spots, does anyone thing Man City can get the fourth spot? If the play like this all season, I think they will give it a run.

It will also be interesting to see how far they get in the UEFA Cup. If they can keep this team together, give them a couple of years. They are good!

16. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    I'll tell you this for one thing,SUN is the most underrated player in the EPL,the fact that he is of Oriental background
    has hampered the recognition he deserves and it say's a lot about the British culture.He without question the most important player on the team and should recognised as so
    by all.His overall game is impeccable.i will go as far as to say he is one of the most intelligent players in the game.

17. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Eh? What are you on about? The only thing that's 'hampered' the recognition he gets is the fact that he's not an exceptionally good player.

Or are you suggesting there are some more sinister issues involved? That, despite the multicultural nature of the Premiership (and England in general), we harbour a secret hatred for all things Oriental, and so are determined not to afford Sun Jihai the accolades he undoubtedly deserves?

Erm....ok.

And I will go so far as to say that you're a bell-end.

18. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    Mobile.
    I was watching an everton game last year when the announcer,one of the top ones made the comment "little chinaman" reffering to Le Tie(sp).The thing is Tie was the biggest player pn the field at the time.That tells me that even at the highest level of sport there is stigma attached to oriental players by ALL other races,not just white.So don't give me that garbage about multi culturalism and we love everyone inuendo's.You can name any team in the premiership or any other league and take out the black players in that team,and see what comments are made on the terraces after that transition.That's just the society we live in,but let's not pretend it doesn't exist,that's just retarded.

I think my whole post reffers to people like yourself,because if you watch a Man City game when Sun is playing then you will understand his importance.He got man City two penalties in the last two games,and made the crosses that scored most of the others.those are the facts.I'm not saying he's the best ever just that he is way underrated.

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I think you'll find most commentators in England are hyper-sensitive about what they can or cannot say, particularly in regards to race (John Motson took a hammering a few years ago when he admitted he sometimes has problems telling black players apart). So the fact that you heard such a comment surprises me. But even if that comment was made, how on earth do you make the connection that all orientals in England are somehow relentlessly persecuted as a consequence of their race? Absolute claptrap.

Someone is retarded alright. What on earth is that drivel supposed to mean? That if there were no black players in the Premiership, you would hear more racist comments? What would be prompting this imaginary abuse if there were no black players to be targeted? Bollocks.

He's an average player in my opinion. Or are you trying to suggest that I am steadfastly refusing to acknowledge his greatness simply on account of his racial origin? If so, may I suggest that you go fuck yourself?

Well, you did say:

Which is quite clearly rubbish.

20. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    If that's the case about commentators ,how do you explain the comments made about the Everton Player?

If your going to quote me then quote me correct.I said take the black players out of any TEAM in the epl....
    And i stand by that comment.But that's just oppinion.

In answer to your 3rd paragraph.Probably.

in answer to 4 and 5.
    if he's not then who?.No one works harder has more impact on a game than him.He's made some mistakes last year but was still the most intelligent player on the field.
    He is as good as most in the role he plays.His defensive work is 8,his passing 10,his effectivness as an attacker is 8 and his intelligence is 10. The man is just really good and due to his race it's not recognised,he is the key to Man city's success in the future.

21. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Well, like I said, it surprised me. But it shouldn't surprise me that much I suppose, because most commentators talk garbage. Don't take their nonsensical utterances as being representative of general public opinion.

I quoted your post word for word. And it doesn't make sense.

Well, then you really can go fuck yourself. Honestly.

Well, that's just subjective. If that's your opinion then fine. I disagree - I think he's an average Premiership player - but that's what football's all about.

Absolute horseshit.

22. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's return to the purpose of this thread which was to talk about how impressive City are ... oh, wait, they have underachieved in their last two matches. Nevermind then.

The key to City's future is not Sun, but what KK is going to do when all of these high paid veterans (Seaman, Tarnat, McManaman, Fowler, Anelka, Wanchope, Bosvelt, Sinclair, Reyna, Berkovic) start breaking down (if Seaman was a horse, he would be on his way to the glue factory). Is this an old team or what?

23. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    Of course it represents the status quo of public opinion,otherwise he wouldn't think he could get away with such stereotypical ignorance.I wonder if he was cautioned ? i wonder if you were really surprised?
    The problem i have it is between adults i can except it as
    the usual scapegoating crap,but the fact is is that a lot of young impressionable kids watch and hang on to every word of the commentators.

I'm not going to argue wether you quoted me word for word.just go back and read the post,and if you still don't think you misquoted me then fine.
    I'm just going by personal experience.A while ago you got fans that were abusing black players that were ON their team,and you think that my assertion has no basis?

Touched a nerve i think.

Yes it is based on oppinion,but you haven't backed your statement up,and told us who you think is more important based on recent play.

that's if none of what i said before is true.If you honestly believe that what i said has no merit then you have every right to believe it as "*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#".

24. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    That's strange i get censored for quoting something someone else said? but the original author doesn't?
    how can someone have a problem with Horses*#@ and not have a problem with F#*@ or Boll*#@$.

Maybe it's a seniority thing!?!?!? .

25. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Look - this is going in circles - but the essence of what you are saying is that there is some kind of inherent bias in England against orientals and that due to this, and this alone, Sun Jihai is not being acclaimed as the Premiership's star performer.

And that is horseshit, no matter which way you look at it.