Man City Defeat good for Tottenham???

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by chriswalk27, Feb 5, 2004.

1. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    I know this sounds completely retarded when you first hear it but maybe now after losing in the worst fashion can Tottenham move forward and bring in fresh talented young faces and a top notch coach because Pleat can't seem to manage his way out of a paper bag and too many players aren't giving 100%. Maybe if we go through the year and do ok like we probably would have and finished 10th in the league nothing would have gotten done. Or just enough to scrape by with another 10th place team next year and the year after and so on. It seems like Management needs big reminders of how much work they have to do and this game is the biggest reminder I have ever seen.

Also has anyone heard about Postiga's injury?? Just wondering if anyone knows how long he will be out? Anyway, we just need to keep our heads up and support the club through a very very difficult time.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would love to think so but very much doubt it. The last 10+ years has been one long humiliation like last night, if anything changes I will be amazed.

Sorry to be so downbeat, but I was absolutely gutted and disgusted at last night.

3. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Last 10+ years, one long humiliation? You should try supporting City. Watching your team in the 2nd Division, playing the likes of Burnley and Macclesfield being a local derby - now that's embarrassing!

I would have rather that been in the Prem than the cup. And to be honest were either club destined to win it? Both clubs should be higher than they are in the table, and with their support should be challenging for European places.

Best wishes for the rest of the season.

4. jumhed

jumhed Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yep, one long humiliation. Citeh haven't been good for around 35-40 years, whereas Spurs fairly recently used to be quite good.

Citeh deserved that win, but my life did it hurt!

5. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Not quite that long, we won the League Cup in1976, CupWinnersCup1971, and the league in1968. The last one is sore, as we beat United by 1 point, but as usual they trumped our moment by winning the European Cup! The swines!

Don't mention 1981!!!

6. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    You are right that either club wasn't going to win the Cup so in the long run it doesn't mean all that much but if I am going to lose I would hope it wouldn't hurt quite so bad. But again I think this might be another wake up call to the board and Levy that things need to be changed.

Chris Walker

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The game was very dramatic but all it really served up was another reminder of what needs to be improved.

No doubt that the club has always had some very talented attacking individuals (particularly the magician that is Robbie Keane) and it has the supporter base. But it's a club desperately in need of some footballing leadership on and off the pitch. A strong coach and a strong spine to the team, that's what's required to make progress. Always has been since the end of the Bill Nic and Blanchflower era.

I'm positive though that Levy has realised this. He's taking the most roundabout route possible, waiting until the summer to get the new manager and to buy people who aren't strikers. But I'm still confident, for now ;)

For the rest of the season we do at least get to enjoy seeing Kanoute, Defoe and Keano link up as a trio and score some goals. That I'd pay good money to see, even if the defence is **** and Kanoute is still in Africa for now.

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Come on now, it's only been 28 years

9. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    I've said this before. I was at WHL on Wednesday night and in the first half Spurs played their best football for two seasons, absolutely fantastic. Check out the article in the Guardian (also Mancini link confirmed):

http://football.guardian.co.uk/

Spurs can learn from this game as they are capable of greater things and have quality players. On sober reflection, I think half the team were pretty much burned out by the sixtieth minute. Because Pleat had brought on Poyet he didn't have subs available to freshen the team up.

I honestly think he thought the lead was unassailable, and when City equalised he was thinking of bringing on the last sub in extra time, which in retrospect was a piss poor decision as Richards in particular was struggling to cope with the strikers.

The only thing that really irks me is why, with so many young players coming through, and spurs statement regarding their new reliance on youth, he brought Poyet on for Postiga when all he does is walk around screaming at the other players to carry him, especially as he usually gets subbed before the end anyway as he gets tired from all the dramatics.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Good article, if quite alarming. Is whatshisface from Ajax in the bag?