Rood-Witten (& Blau) Malik Tillman at PSV America (olf Bayern Munich)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Aug 18, 2015.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that Tillman was just named young player of the year for the SPL, this says a lot about how much (or, little) the fan who wrote this rates his own domestic top division.

2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Given his background the lure of Bayern has to be pretty strong for a 20 year old

usnroach repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    First, many, perhaps most, don't dislike him. He was quite popular for a minute round about Jan. But Rangers were 2nd best to Celtic in most everything this year. If you are playing at Gers in a year like that, you have to bleed blue. Kiss the badge. Helps if you're a Scot, or at least of Scot lineage, or be a potential future star Gers owns. Tillman was well liked till he got hurt, while Gers still had a shot at some kind of silver. But "Tillman is hated" while not without some reality among some followfollow hardcore, I doubt is a real thing - except in regards to where Gers money goes. 5 mill is decent coin for them - believe it or not - and they want to buy the next Haaland... and they are delusional.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course, until Gers trigger the buy clause, or other arrangements are made, BM is where he's going to train/rehab. Not sure what the incoming folks think of him, but BM seems a long shot for him rn.

I wonder how long Gers have to trigger the option clause.

5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, word was Hassan really liked him and was his biggest booster. I have now seen that written in a few places. Also hinted that Hassan and Kahn weren‘t sure Musiala was going to be a guy who could be a top player (CL level). Hmm. Tuchel doesn‘t exactly fit Bayern‘s coaching profile either. Davies supposedly has informally told them leaving wouldn‘t be a bad thing (word I heard) but won‘t try and force issue. If Bayern can get a large offer he probably is gone, because he is certian to play out his contract at this point. Lot‘s of fun stuff there as usual.

6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Of course, but that‘s why the post is great. Satire?

7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    ….and it was Hassan who was supposedly not sure about Musiala. The Sane deal. The Tuchel panic hire, etc. No one is unhappy to see him go.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    0 goals or assists against Celtic. Plus, like the rest of the team, he collected no counting stats when they were getting the piss beaten out of them in every single Champions League match either.

They basically looked at the box scores, saw he never scored or assisted against Celtic, and so they hate him.

The also underline the fact that he did little in CL either (no counting stats) other than in qualifiers over the summer (1 goal and 1 assist in the CL clinching games apparently didn't matter at all for fans of a team who had no business playing in the tournament in the first place considering how pathetic they were).

They focus on the fact that he was shut out in those games, so clearly he sucks, not noticing that his production was odd, and erratically distributed. He also failed to score against 2 or 3 of the worst sides in the SPL, while scoring against some of the worst, middling and better second tier teams.

So there wasn't really a pattern, if they'd done much digging, but since they didnt', and only care about Celtic matches and European competition, they immediately wrote him off.

I'd respect them far more if they did enough digging to notice the odd trend with production, but they didn't, their drunken wondering eyes, okay, maybe that's harsh, but clearly they were lazy as hell as they didn't notice:

Zero production against second to last place Kilmarnock.
    Shut out in all but one match against last place and relegated Ross County.

Little production against Livinston.

Why was his production against Union SG, PSV, and Hearts, and Motherwell and Hibbs, and Aberdeen etc, but not agaisnt freaking Ross County or Kilmarnock? Nobody says. Their eyes glaze over once they notice no production against Celtic and they move on.

I'm happy to see him out of there. Goes from young player of the year in SPL, and their best attacking player for much of the season, to not good enough for the Bundesliga 2, and "---- that guy" with one more crappy late season performance against Celtic.

Idiots.

9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    As much as I dislike their fans, that's not really what happened. Although they aren't rational about Tillman, they are rational about their lack of funds.

This is one of those clubs in a lesser league that survives with domestic players, and guys on loan. They don't pay ---- for transfers, so they couldn't afford him. They were saying this in April and March. They wanted him to stay then, but the combo of how much it would cost (for a really cheap club) and how little he impacted their biggest games of the season made them short sighted enough to think that he wasn't worth the investment, not realize he's exactly the kind of guy who could murder that league and earn a transfer for 3-5x his cost down the line. Of course there's also the reality that Bayern were never going to let him go that cheap anyway. No chance whatsoever. The guy could easily be worth 3-4x that in 12 months.

I think the fans get the limited financial ambition of the club and simply preferred them to spend money on more immediate needs, rather than play the buy and sell for more game. Simple as that.

Of course now that he's outright being clear that he has no interest in returning (who would?), they're taking umbrage, getting defensive and behaving like idiots. But all people can get like that when they're casually ---- on by a relative stranger who barely even notices they exist in the first place.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    1) I think "they" is being used a bit too broadly here. Some of the quotes used by "journos" are obviously for click bait. Followfollow is a cess-pool, even by SPL/Gers fan standards, as well. Lots of trolls and dolts drinking breakfast and shyteposting.

2) The financial question is real. Pretty obvious Tillman could be worth more down the road (and a reason BM is unlikely to let him go for 5mil) but Gers also need to win *something* now. They had a better run in Europe than Celtic not too long, and was a balm in Albion for about 2 weeks... then they got shut out in everything you could mildly brag about and the vitriol volume goes up. Some vocal (idiotic) want the-next-Haaland on a free/cheap.

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, if 1) Tillman wanted to be a Rangers player next season (and that's what appears to be the main stumbling block to any deal...Tillman doesn't want to stay in Glasgow) and 2) Rangers wanted him as well he'd almost certainly be at Rangers next season. Yes, Bayern apparently has/had a buyback clause but that's something that they wouldn't have contemplated triggering for AT LEAST another season.

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I read one of the forums. It was pretty silly and stupid. There were some that were measured, but both could not "grock" the difference between it not being worth it to Rangers, in a win now season (which is always stupid) in '23-'24, and him "not being worth it". The idea that Tillman isn't worth 5 million pounds is patently absurd, he's probably already worth 10-12 right now. They could flip him quite easily for far more after next season if he'd stayed healthy.

Some fans got that and differentiated, but some simply didn't see him as worth 5 mill which is just clinically insane, .

I'd also argue that the way they're looking at it is also stupid. Celtic currently is just better built by them by far, maybe they can catch them in an offseason, but I tend to doubt it. Celtic dominated the season 1v1 this year, and was much better in the SPL in general. At the CL level, Rangers were far worse than bad sides typically are in CL, they were flat out ghastly (-20 GD). Part of that was a real tough, real rough group stage draw. European Finalist from the previous season, all be it in an off year, Napoli during Napoli's best run in 30 years, and the always good Ajax.

In comparison among the 4th place teams Maccabi Haifa, that team w/an American goalie we'd never heard of finished only -11 in GD. Copenhagen was -14, Celtic grabbed two draws while being -11, Marseille was +0, Zagreb was -7, Athletico Madrid was -4. The only team that approached how horrific Rangers were was Viktoria Plzen, who were equally horrible at -19 GD, just one goal better than Rangers. But they also had Bayern Munich, CL Finalist Inter Milan, and and La Liga winner Barcelona in their group, so it's a bit more understandable than a Liverpool that was imploding in the fall, an Ajax that had one of their crappier years in recent years, and admittedly a superb Napoli.

So I don't know man, to me, Rangers are horrid, and should be trying to figure out how to be competitive again long term, instead of trying to paste over problems. But maybe they're right and I'm wrong, they made the Europa League Final just a year ago after all, maybe they can fix things that fast, I'm just skeptical, especially when they can't even (their fans anyway) recognize how valuable Tillman is.

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Yeah if anything they could probably activate the clause and sell him immediately for a profit. I think they are just fiscally risk averse after getting put in administration/bankrupted

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, a small minority had issues. Most did not. Most know they are international teammates. Scottish international teammates, rumors have it, have done the same. Rangers fans are a miserable bunch. If their team doesn’t win the title, they hate their players and the mentality is they are all bums and suck. Celtic fans are in the same way in that regard.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Another rehash of the same story, but google-translate makes it almost poetic...

Loan returnee Malik Tillman trains on Säbener Straße. The developments at FC Bayern could also have a surprising turn in store for him.

Munich – Four days after winning the German championship, there is a great emptiness at the FC Bayern training ground. But someone is doing his rounds on the otherwise almost deserted pitch: Malik Tillman, who was loaned to Glasgow Rangers last season, is completing his rehabilitation program. Quite surprising, because a permanent move to Rangers was almost certain. The staff quake at FCB may also have an impact on the future of the US boy.

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, if the Rangers fans are all that butt-hurt, maybe Sands and Tillman could leak it that they were seeking advice from CCV as they weigh their options on the continent, etc.

That's assuming they could give a damn. Which I strongly doubt.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Get 'er done!" sez Ibrox News. (Rangers were also supposedly after Utrecht 23 yo Greek scoring machine - and Booth teammie - Douvikas, but Utrecht are quoted as wanting 10 mill Euro for him, so... dunno if they splash for both. They've got a few holes to fill just to stay level. The Douvikas fee does suggest something about what Pepi/Augsburg can hope for, however.)

https://www.ibroxnews.com/2023/06/0...ch-board-changes-after-as-clubs-lose-contact/

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No decision has yet been made regarding the future of Malik Tillman and Gabriel Vidović. Tillman has generated a lot of interest thanks to his great season with Rangers, including in leagues other than Scotland.

Winoman repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yup, I'd be very surprised if BM can't get more from him than the Gers option - esp since they were supposedly trying to knock down the price. 5 mill is pretty cheap for a young BM prospect who's shown he can score a bit.

21. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...don-Sancho-upgrade-Transfer-Confidential.html

This Article says Brighton and Brentford are interested

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    https://www.kicker.de/vorerst-muenchen-bayern-lehnen-rangers-option-fuer-tillman-ab-956225/artikel

Those responsible [at Bayern] took notice of Tillman's performance and, according to kicker information, recently decided to reject the purchase option previously agreed with Rangers. Bayern, who also had a buyback option, had this option written into the loan agreement.
    At the moment it is completely open how things will continue

That doesn't have to mean that Tillman doesn't end up back in Glasgow: it's currently completely open how things will continue. The Bavarians could imagine loaning Tillman again or selling him – if there is a corresponding offer. Rangers have already publicly expressed their interest, but now have to dig deeper into their pockets. The purchase option is said to have been around six million euros.

This is confusing to me. I'm not sure if they're saying Bayern will exercise their buyback option (in which case Rangers will at least get something out of this no matter what happens), or Bayern has rejected Rangers' offer outright. If it's the latter, I guess I don't really understand how a purchase option works.

24. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    In German it’s a bit more clear. The loan had a purchase option for Rangers, a buy-back option for Bayern, and Bayern inserted a clause that they could void Ranger’s purchase option. Kicker is reporting that Bayern have invoked the “cancel the Ranger’s purchase option clause”. Therefore, he still may end up at Rangers, but presumably only if they pay more than the purchase option was worth.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    But what's the point of a purchase option if the contract also has a clause that allows the seller to void it?